Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Squevie View Post
    Anyone have input on a smart watch? I've been using one of those Samsung Gear watches for a while. Would that qualify as a digital watch, or is that TOO digital?
    I'd strongly advise just getting a Casio G-Shock which will last your career. If you splurge and get one with atomic radio time you'll be on the correct time to the second forever. A Smart Watch at the Academy seems like trouble to me.

    As for running shoes, I'd advise going to an actual running shoe store and getting fitted by one of their "pros". You run a decent amount and any bit of comfort helps. They can help you find a pair of sneakers that fit your running style and the way your feet hit the ground.

    Be aware that you'll need wrestling shoes. With a June Academy, it's outside of wrestling season so many stores don't carry them in stock. You might want to look for a pair beforehand.

    Comment


    • When in doubt just search Casio digital on Amazon and grab the boot camp style watch with nothing but an alarm clock on it for $10.

      Comment


      • I found this a while back

        Comment


        • I'm sure a smart watch is a no go...and seeing that you can't have a cell phone, I don't think it would be much help to you. It most probably would get destroyed in the process as well. G Shock is where it's at.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by NYCopper View Post
            I'm sure a smart watch is a no go...and seeing that you can't have a cell phone, I don't think it would be much help to you. It most probably would get destroyed in the process as well. G Shock is where it's at.
            In my experience, having gone through a police academy, anything that will make you standout stay away from!! Wear a simple watch, don't bring in your Brooks Brothers suits (nobody is impressed) and your $200 running shoes. They will eat you up! Assuming the NYSP is just as rough as Zone 5 that I went through, they will be looking for anything to bust your balls about so don't give them anything more than you need too. A computer screen watch will certainly attract attention. We had guys having to do extra PT because they had PBA stickers on their vehicles! The instructor would say "Who do you think you are!? You want to get out of tickets!? You speed thinking you're f*cking special!?" Just a taste guys.....

            Comment


            • I'm more of a Timex Ironman kinda guy. I have been wearing them for years.

              Like others have said, your goal should be to stay off the radar. You want to wear a smart watch? Off color gray sweats? Neon running shoes? Have fun. Don't say we didn't warn you!!
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                I'm more of a Timex Ironman kinda guy. I have been wearing them for years.

                Like others have said, your goal should be to stay off the radar. You want to wear a smart watch? Off color gray sweats? Neon running shoes? Have fun. Don't say we didn't warn you!!
                Reils,

                Question and it may sound dumb but for the sweats do they care what grey it is? I've searched on Amazon for just plain champion and there are dark heather grey and oxford light grey. Just curious.

                Comment


                • 99% will go with your standard gray hanes or fruit of the loom walmart gray sweats. The remaining 1% may opt for the fancier tones of gray, velour or other sweats. Who is going to get harassed?

                  Nobody "cares". You wont be fired for it. But you may decide a week in standard gray just feels better
                  I make my living on Irish welfare.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                    99% will go with your standard gray hanes or fruit of the loom walmart gray sweats. The remaining 1% may opt for the fancier tones of gray, velour or other sweats. Who is going to get harassed?

                    Nobody "cares". You wont be fired for it. But you may decide a week in standard gray just feels better
                    Perfect all I needed to know. Whatever aides in being under the radar helps.

                    Comment


                    • I need this medical invite before I'm confident enough to start buying things off that list! Let's hope they pop up within the next several days.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by itsacopthing View Post
                        I need this medical invite before I'm confident enough to start buying things off that list! Let's hope they pop up within the next several days.
                        Seriously, I've loaded up my Walmart and Amazon carts but I can't pull the trigger until we know whats going on! Fingers crossed they mail them out tomorrow or early next week at the latest. My recruiter said they would be mailed out by the end of the month but that seems later than previous sessions they've had.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Joshk716 View Post

                          Seriously, I've loaded up my Walmart and Amazon carts but I can't pull the trigger until we know whats going on! Fingers crossed they mail them out tomorrow or early next week at the latest. My recruiter said they would be mailed out by the end of the month but that seems later than previous sessions they've had.
                          FWIW I've known guys that went to the medical, passed, and still didn't get hired. You're only hired when you're hired. I believe 2 classes ago they ran the medical and then Cuomo axed the class and it got postponed for several months.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jaguarshark View Post

                            FWIW I've known guys that went to the medical, passed, and still didn't get hired. You're only hired when you're hired. I believe 2 classes ago they ran the medical and then Cuomo axed the class and it got postponed for several months.
                            I am sure things definitely happen. From the Troopers I've talked to, they said if you go to medical, it's more than likely you're going to the academy. Obviously it hinges on the budget as well as your rank on the list. For some of us, we were deferrals, backfills or just didn't get reached by a slim margin for the last class.

                            Comment


                            • Nothing is guaranteed. I know of plenty of people that have been dq'd after the medical. Don't get your hopes up and don't jump the gun on buying gear until you actually know. Deferrals and backfills are just as safe as everybody else.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Joshk716 View Post
                                if you go to medical, it's more than likely you're going to the academy.
                                Not quite.
                                I make my living on Irish welfare.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 7333 users online. 257 members and 7076 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X