Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leo1112 View Post
    My initial Bi meeting was in manhattan im from jersey. My poly is in albany
    That is unusual. There are dozens of stations between you and Albany..not sure how that ended up.

Comment

• Idk but thats what bi said , another question, do you have to reside in ny while IN the academy or AFTER you graduate... I was told if your accepted to academy you have to live in ny by the time you start academy ,

Comment

Idk but thats what bi said , another question, do you have to reside in ny while IN the academy or AFTER you graduate... I was told if your accepted to academy you have to live in ny by the time you start academy ,
        As soon as you become a state employee - day one - you must have a ny address. You should probably have NY plates and a NY license when you show up - or you will run the risk of being in violation of the vehicle and traffic law after a month in the academy...and it's one less thing to get harassed about..
        Last edited by NYCopper; 12-14-2016, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• I actually asked this question at processing and they said at time of appointment, day one of training, you will want to be a legal resident with ID, registration, insurance, etc.

Originally posted by NYCopper View Post

As soon as you become a state employee - day one - you must have a ny address. You should probably have NY plates and a NY license when you show up - or you will run the risk of being in violation of the vehicle and traffic law after a month in the academy...and it's one less thing to get harassed about..

Comment

• Anybody here from out of state?, if so pm me

Comment

• I will also add that residence in NY is a big deal. Getting caught living out of state will mean a founded personnel complaint, and while on probation it will probably be the end of your employment here.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• i hear that some people pass medical & do not get appointed because their rank is not reached on list , are they out or back filled.

Comment

i hear that some people pass medical & do not get appointed because their rank is not reached on list , are they out or back filled.
                  They are back filled. I am one of those candidates that did not get into the Fall 2016 academy due to my rank not being reached. You will have a background update done and hopefully make the next academy. I've had my background update done for a few weeks now and my BI said that I will be in the Spring Academy due to being backfilled and my rank # 96xx.

Comment

• NTTrooper, sent you a PM.

Originally posted by NTTrooper View Post

They are back filled. I am one of those candidates that did not get into the Fall 2016 academy due to my rank not being reached. You will have a background update done and hopefully make the next academy. I've had my background update done for a few weeks now and my BI said that I will be in the Spring Academy due to being backfilled and my rank # 96xx.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshk716 View Post
                      NTTrooper, sent you a PM.

What does "passing the background check" necessarily mean? No blemishes? So as long as my driving, employment, financial and personal references don't come back negative you're considered passed? Are you then judged by rank?

Where does being a current police officer, an ealge scout, a volunteer firefighter, little league coach, all those "bonus" points you get for being involved in your community come in? Do they not count that at all? I was hired by the sheriffs at a rank well above people who haven't been hired above me and are on a waiting list. I was told that I "stood out" with my eagle scout, 10 years of working at the same place, owning a home at a young age, having a stable family.

I understand that there are civil service laws, but isn't this like any other job interview at a certain point? Yeah sure maybe you have a clean background but what if you only have a clean background because you have rich parents and never had a job or haven't worked a day in your life, you can't tell me all of these things don't come into consideration?

Comment

• Hi everyone! I have a question for those who might be able to help. my husband is most likely gonna be in the spring academy, everything is done except the poly which is scheduled for the end of the month. We just found out that we're expecting our first child the first week in August. I'm fully supportive of him going in spite of this, I know he wants it more than anything and I'll do whatever he needs to help him get through it. But what are the chances of the academy letting him come home for the birth? I know he might not have a lot of time and I'll be okay on my own, but I would hate for him to miss the birth of his first child, I know it's a sacrifice many make but just looking for answers so we can set expectations. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by StanleyVega View Post

What does "passing the background check" necessarily mean? No blemishes? So as long as my driving, employment, financial and personal references don't come back negative you're considered passed? Are you then judged by rank?

Where does being a current police officer, an ealge scout, a volunteer firefighter, little league coach, all those "bonus" points you get for being involved in your community come in? Do they not count that at all? I was hired by the sheriffs at a rank well above people who haven't been hired above me and are on a waiting list. I was told that I "stood out" with my eagle scout, 10 years of working at the same place, owning a home at a young age, having a stable family.

I understand that there are civil service laws, but isn't this like any other job interview at a certain point? Yeah sure maybe you have a clean background but what if you only have a clean background because you have rich parents and never had a job or haven't worked a day in your life, you can't tell me all of these things don't come into consideration?
                          Very awkwardly none of that is taken into consideration. Civil service rank trumps all. We had west point graduates with masters degrees, combat veterans with 10 years in le, and they were behind the pimple popping kid with a GED in community college who worked at McDonalds but scored better on the exam. Life experience will help you pass the background, but the State Police rely entirely on the CS exam, and end up with some really stellar, socially enept weirdos at times as a result...
                          Last edited by NYCopper; 12-20-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yellowstone956 View Post
                            Hi everyone! I have a question for those who might be able to help. my husband is most likely gonna be in the spring academy, everything is done except the poly which is scheduled for the end of the month. We just found out that we're expecting our first child the first week in August. I'm fully supportive of him going in spite of this, I know he wants it more than anything and I'll do whatever he needs to help him get through it. But what are the chances of the academy letting him come home for the birth? I know he might not have a lot of time and I'll be okay on my own, but I would hate for him to miss the birth of his first child, I know it's a sacrifice many make but just looking for answers so we can set expectations. Thanks in advance!
                            They will arrange for him to be there for the birth. Possibly just a day or two but there is no real reason he should miss it.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCopper View Post

Very awkwardly none of that is taken into consideration. Civil service rank trumps all. We had west point graduates with masters degrees, combat veterans with 10 years in le, and they were behind the pimple popping kid with a GED in community college who worked at McDonalds but scored better on the exam. Life experience will help you pass the background, but the State Police rely entirely on the CS exam, and end up with some really stellar, socially enept weirdos at times as a result...
                              Yeah exactly. It is interesting that no prior experience is taken into account but thats how civil service works. At the end of the day, we all go through the training and those who make it are no longer regular ordinary citizens but officers of the law, or should I say "Troopers.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCopper View Post

Best. Response. Ever!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4991 users online. 218 members and 4773 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X