Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shoulder blades on ground and elbows within about 2 inches of knee cap is what my ATO told me to do. Fingers interlaced behind head too.

    Originally posted by StanleyVega View Post

    Not having to go all the way up?? Don't your shoulders have to touch the ground and elbows touch your knees? I know when I took mine for a loca agency they wanted our hands (locked behind our head) to hit the ground! I was told this vioaltes protocol but it is what it is.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Joshk716 View Post
      Shoulder blades on ground and elbows within about 2 inches of knee cap is what my ATO told me to do. Fingers interlaced behind head too.


      Oh wow, that definitely can shave off seconds where it's needed. It's also much easier when someone is holding your ankles down. When you're trying to do situps with your feet pushed under the couch or bed you end up straining your back and feet trying to keep your feet down, I've found it much easier to crank them out when someone's weight is placed on your feet.

      I'll be 30 in a few months so my requirements drop assuming I don't get tested before then. However I may be the "old" man at 30 or 31 years old entering the academy!

      Comment


      • Couldnt agree with you more. Not to mention the padding makes it easier too in my opinion. Father of the dorm!

        Originally posted by StanleyVega View Post

        Oh wow, that definitely can shave off seconds where it's needed. It's also much easier when someone is holding your ankles down. When you're trying to do situps with your feet pushed under the couch or bed you end up straining your back and feet trying to keep your feet down, I've found it much easier to crank them out when someone's weight is placed on your feet.

        I'll be 30 in a few months so my requirements drop assuming I don't get tested before then. However I may be the "old" man at 30 or 31 years old entering the academy!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Joshk716 View Post
          Couldnt agree with you more. Not to mention the padding makes it easier too in my opinion. Father of the dorm!


          Haha true! I've got 3 kids bro, it's going to be a hard decision being away for so long. I'm very involved with their lives but I know it's a short-term sacrifice that'll benefit my family in the long run. All these soldiers leaving for months at a time I can't complain. However I like in Albany so at least if something does happen, I'm not too far from my family.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Joshk716 View Post
            Couldnt agree with you more. Not to mention the padding makes it easier too in my opinion. Father of the dorm!


            Elbows to knees made it easier then how I was doing it. Stanley Vega if I get in I'll b up there in age too just turned 30 .

            Comment


            • Thats a great way to look at it. I've gone through some military training allover the country and while being away from family is difficult, it's a short term sacrifice for long term gain. Plus it's going to help you build a great solid foundation for an excellent career. I look forward to working with all of you.

              Originally posted by leo1112 View Post

              Elbows to knees made it easier then how I was doing it. Stanley Vega if I get in I'll b up there in age too just turned 30 .

              Comment


              • Originally posted by StanleyVega View Post

                Haha true! I've got 3 kids bro, it's going to be a hard decision being away for so long. I'm very involved with their lives but I know it's a short-term sacrifice that'll benefit my family in the long run. All these soldiers leaving for months at a time I can't complain. However I like in Albany so at least if something does happen, I'm not too far from my family.
                I went through with 1 kid, it's tough. No lie, leaving every Sunday was miserable.

                8 years later, I have 3 kids. You still miss things sometimes; birthday parties, Christmas mornings, trick or treating...... 2 weeks at the state fair, manhunts, hurricanes, a week teaching firearms at the academy.... A last minute arrest =cold dinner and kids in bed by the time you blotter out and drive home.

                But you get a lot back too. We work 7 out of 14 days. You get a Monday/Tuesday off and guess what? You're the only dad in the kindergarten class making 6 figures with a weekday off so you can read Skipy John Jones to the kids. Or being able to take 2 days off, and being off for over 7 days straight. Or a 3 day weekend every other week.

                Its a great job. Not easy at times, but well worth it.
                Last edited by reils49; 11-16-2016, 04:35 PM.
                I make my living on Irish welfare.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by reils49 View Post

                  I went through with 1 kid, it's tough. No lie, leaving every Sunday was miserable.

                  8 years later, I have 3 kids. You still miss things sometimes; birthday parties, Christmas mornings, trick or treating...... 2 weeks at the state fair, manhunts, hurricanes, a week teaching firearms at the academy.... A last minute arrest =cold dinner and kids in bed by the time you blotter out and drive home.

                  But you get a lot back too. We work 7 out of 14 days. You get a Monday/Tuesday off and guess what? You're the only dad in the kindergarten class making 6 figures with a weekday off so you can read Skipy John Jones to the kids. Or being able to take 2 days off, and being off for over 7 days straight. Or a 3 day weekend every other week.

                  Its a great job. Not easy at times, but well worth it.

                  Sheesh 6 figures!!! Having those days off in a row is good to "catch up" and make more memories for what you miss..

                  Comment


                  • It does suck to have to miss holidays though

                    Comment


                    • Got that B.I call!!! ( cringe)

                      Comment


                      • Just received a call from my BI asking if I still wanted the job. Said he was given my application back and needs to just go over the BI he did back in July.

                        Has anyone heard anything about that split class? If this October Academy doesn't graduate until April / May, why else would he be going through old investigations?

                        Processed June 25/26 & Medical Sept 10. #98xx

                        Comment


                        • As far as I know, an Investigstor stated they were looking into a split academy for January 2017. I don't know how concrete that is but it is what I heard. I processed June 25/26 and Medical processed September 10th. Rank - 94xx.

                          Eager to hear something soon.

                          Comment


                          • Well, I processed 6/25, met with my BI first time 7/25 the next academy started 10/23, 4 months after processing and 3 months after meeting investigator.

                            They did another processing weekend 10/1, and I'm meeting BI again this week, so 4 months later is early Feb & 3 months later is mid February.

                            I'm think the next class MIGHT start in Feb...4 months after the October Academy.

                            **Purely Speculation, and my guess only**

                            Comment


                            • So for speculation purposes october processing candidates should start academy jan or feb that seems like processing is moving FAST !

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Squevie View Post
                                Well, I processed 6/25, met with my BI first time 7/25 the next academy started 10/23, 4 months after processing and 3 months after meeting investigator.

                                They did another processing weekend 10/1, and I'm meeting BI again this week, so 4 months later is early Feb & 3 months later is mid February.

                                I'm think the next class MIGHT start in Feb...4 months after the October Academy.

                                **Purely Speculation, and my guess only**
                                I would be really suprised if they started a class with 2 months before another graduates. It is my understanding that they have a pretty big class right now, and from a purely logistical / lodging stand point it would be close to impossible. I would say with near certainty that the next class will start 6+ months after the October class started... just like the previous class.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8134 users online. 388 members and 7746 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X