300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by StanleyVega View Post
    I'd like to add some positive thoughts for those who feel discouraged regarding their ranking. As I have mentioned before in earlier threads, I am very involved with OGS on the construction end of things at the Harriman State Campus. Part of this job allows me the pleasure of dealing with facility directors including those at Building 22 and Building 24. With that being said, I'd like to share some insight I received from one of the Master Sergeants in administration at the academy.

This is is the time that processing flys bye! We are at over 2 years from the original exam and since then, many people have: found good jobs, graduated college, moved, had family situations changed, gotten married, had children, changed priorities, and some even have completely forgotten about the exam. In addition, many people get situated in life and fear the huge impact that a tropper career could have on one's life. Many people this late in the game simply aren't interested anymore, it's quite obvious with the 4,000 processed just in the last 2 months. With that being said, the failure rate of the PAT is also at the highest. Many people have gotten older and more out of shape or don't train. We've heard this a hundred times on the forum.

On top of all that, the NYSP will process off this list well into 2017 and much of 2018. The new exam will be held fall of 2017 with a composed list of applicants expected by Spring of 2018. It won't be until Fall of 2018 that the new list will be utilized. Now, I understand that hiring freezes and state budgetary issues seem to put a wedge in the spoke when things get going, but like I said, this was all coming from the "horses mouth".

I'd also like to add that my source has been working in administration for over 25 years and was confident when he said the NYSP expects to process up to 15,000 from this list. The past few exams have gone close to 15k and this one may even surpass it due to the lack of hiring from 2008-2011 where many officers retired.

I'm sure I'll get some contradictory replys but take this for what it's worth, I didn't just "hear" this information from just anyone. I'm just looking to add my two cents to this helpful forum.
    No Master Sgts in the NYSP...so not sure who you got your info from

Comment

• Thanks for the info Stanley Vega

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCopper View Post
        No Master Sgts in the NYSP...so not sure who you got your info from
        Hmmm I'll have to check his business card when I get to my office, I'm quite certain it said that though but it appears you know better.

Comment

• Got a call this morning. NYSP has assigned me a background investigator from the local barracks, and started scheduling polygraphs already. They sure move fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by StanleyVega View Post
            Hmmm I'll have to check his business card when I get to my office, I'm quite certain it said that though but it appears you know better.
            Well my comment was in jest. But for what it's worth, I do know better. Trooper, Investigator, Sgt, Tech Sgt, Zone Sgt, Station Commander (Sgt), 1st Sgt, Staff Sgt, Chief Tech Sgt (not sure any still exist), Lt, Capt, and so on and so forth....hopefully I didn't miss any.

Comment

• Originally posted by UpstateRam View Post
              Thanks a lot! Can't wait for processing weekend to come, I'm ready to go!

Any advice from guys/ gals that have gone through it before? Just regular shorts, sneaks, and a plain shirt are good? Do colors matter? Do most people wear a suit Sunday?
              I took the Amtrak up from NYC. Here are some quirks of visiting Albany that others should consider especially if not driving in:

There is no Uber in this city and public transportation is not good. Consider cabs unreliable (4 out of 5 listed services didn't pick up the phone). The nearby hotels are within 5 minutes walking to the academy. NYSP MIGHT let you in earlier than your appointment time depending on turnout (I got in half hour earlier).

You should be able to bump into another candidate and split the cab on day 2 or wherever else you may mutually decide to go.

While Albany is smaller than NYC, it's not walking distance or walking friendly between points of interest. There is nothing but a Dunkin Donuts and gas station walking distance from the area hotels.

Consider going a bit higher end for the hotel, I'll tell you why. Printing services (for last minute document needs), and a good meal are far off. You may pay more in take-out and taxis if you go to Red Carpet Inn rather than Hampton Inn (which comes with Print Center and a decent breakfast).

You have to wear a suit with tie and jacket on Sunday, there is no choice about this. Avoid bright colors, the more generic the better.

Expect to stay 5-6 hours each day. Bring a water bottle. Personally I don't need a snack for a 6 hour day, but that depends on you.

Don't overthink it, you've either trained for this moment or not, don't overtrain and risk injury, don't stretch before the run if you've never stretched before, take a full day break from training the night before. And if you run treadmill only, start running in the street because it's a HUGE difference. I felt like I was running in sand from the moment the run started because I've been running on the treadmill only.

And the obvious:
              Be respectful and on your best behavior. Listen and follow instructions.
              Follow the pack, don't stand out.
              Have all of your documents in order, "I"s dotted, "T"s crossed.

Last but not least: DO NOT FAIL THE PHYSICAL PORTION TESTING. You do not want to be in the failure group, it was depressing just watching them. Test yourself right now, if you didn't go to orientation NEWS FLASH 41 sit-ups might be nothing for you but try to do them in 60 seconds. At least 8 out of 10 people who didn't go to orientation and just tried this had their minds blown. Good luck and get training. Google "100 push-up" challenge if you need help with push-ups/sit-ups.

Edit: do not test yourself night before
              Last edited by NYSP_Hopeful; 06-05-2016, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP_Hopeful View Post
                I took the Amtrak up from NYC. Here are some quirks of visiting Albany that others should consider especially if not driving in:

There is no Uber in this city and public transportation is not good. Consider cabs unreliable (4 out of 5 listed services didn't pick up the phone). The nearby hotels are within 5 minutes walking to the academy. NYSP MIGHT let you in earlier than your appointment time depending on turnout (I got in half hour earlier).

You should be able to bump into another candidate and split the cab on day 2 or wherever else you may mutually decide to go.

While Albany is smaller than NYC, it's not walking distance or walking friendly between points of interest. There is nothing but a Dunkin Donuts and gas station walking distance from the area hotels.

Consider going a bit higher end for the hotel, I'll tell you why. Printing services (for last minute document needs), and a good meal are far off. You may pay more in take-out and taxis if you go to Red Carpet Inn rather than Hampton Inn (which comes with Print Center and a decent breakfast).

You have to wear a suit with tie and jacket on Sunday, there is no choice about this. Avoid bright colors, the more generic the better.

Expect to stay 5-6 hours each day. Bring a water bottle. Personally I don't need a snack for a 6 hour day, but that depends on you.

Don't overthink it, you've either trained for this moment or not, don't overtrain and risk injury, don't stretch before the run if you've never stretched before, take a full day break from training the night before. And if you run treadmill only, start running in the street because it's a HUGE difference. I felt like I was running in sand from the moment the run started because I've been running on the treadmill only.

And the obvious:
                Be respectful and on your best behavior. Listen and follow instructions.
                Follow the pack, don't stand out.
                Have all of your documents in order, "I"s dotted, "T"s crossed.

Last but not least: DO NOT FAIL THE PHYSICAL PORTION TESTING. You do not want to be in the failure group, it was depressing just watching them. Test yourself the night before, if you didn't go to orientation NEWS FLASH 41 sit-ups might be nothing for you but try to do them in 60 seconds. At least 8 out of 10 people who didn't go to orientation and just tried this had their minds blown. Good luck and get training. Google "100 push-up" challenge if you need help with push-ups/sit-ups.
                DO NOT TEST YOURSELF THE NIGHT BEFORE. You going to need your muscles nice and supple, and not DOMS. Honestly you should be physically ready right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Striker Eureka View Post
                  DO NOT TEST YOURSELF THE NIGHT BEFORE. You going to need your muscles nice and supple, and not DOMS. Honestly you should be physically ready right now.
                  Yes, thank you for the fix not sure how I missed that. Do not test yourself the night before because you should have a full rest day before. Test yourself right now!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCopper View Post
                    Well my comment was in jest. But for what it's worth, I do know better. Trooper, Investigator, Sgt, Tech Sgt, Zone Sgt, Station Commander (Sgt), 1st Sgt, Staff Sgt, Chief Tech Sgt (not sure any still exist), Lt, Capt, and so on and so forth....hopefully I didn't miss any.
                    Last edited by StanleyVega; 06-22-2016, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Got a call this morning. NYSP has assigned me a background investigator from the local barracks, and started scheduling polygraphs already. They sure move fast.
                      Congrats Striker! How was the psych? Which troop are you out of? How soon is the Poly?

Comment

Congrats Striker! How was the psych? Which troop are you out of? How soon is the Poly?
                        I am out of Troop E, I am hoping the psych went well, I took a peek at his charts while he was flipping and my answers were almost exact copies of the standardized answers. You can expect the poly around June 22nd.

Comment

I am out of Troop E, I am hoping the psych went well, I took a peek at his charts while he was flipping and my answers were almost exact copies of the standardized answers. You can expect the poly around June 22nd.
                          That's excellent, glad it went well. Do they review your answers to the psych exam from processing weekend or a new set of questions? The process is flying by for you! Will you meet with the BI before the poly?

Comment

That's excellent, glad it went well. Do they review your answers to the psych exam from processing weekend or a new set of questions? The process is flying by for you! Will you meet with the BI before the poly?
                            I already met with my BI, was with him for about 2-3 hours going over the packet and some other misc information. Very professional, and to the point, made me want to join NYSP even more. The Psych only reviews what you filled out during the processing weekend.

Comment

I already met with my BI, was with him for about 2-3 hours going over the packet and some other misc information. Very professional, and to the point, made me want to join NYSP even more. The Psych only reviews what you filled out during the processing weekend.
                              Thanks for the info, that's great to hear! I hope I get someone like you got Striker.

Comment

• Hello everyone, I have a quick question regarding the push ups during processing weekend. What is the hand position that they expect? Such as thumbs on the line and fingers pointed forward, inward towards chest, or outwards from chest? Any info helps, thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7193 users online. 205 members and 6988 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X