X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crosby87
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Chasechase
    Would someone be able to explain the academics in the academy. How many exams are given and are they every week? What exam must you score 100% on? Thanks!
    I'm no expert since I have yet to go to academy, but I would imagine the use of force exam is one which requires a 100%.

I'm curious if anyone has more detailed answer to your question.

Comment

• Raiden567
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2015

I did not go through the medical first time around but I'm pretty sure everyone is going to have to do the medical over again if they did it. My bro is in the state parks police academy now and he has notes for days. Not everything is 100%.

Comment

• Raiden567
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2015

Also trey what is your list number

Comment

• rl0089
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2013

Isn't the medical good for a year? Why spend all that money on another medical weekend unless its for new candidates?

Comment

• Trey1205
            Forum Member
            • Aug 2015

I am 58xx, went through the medical in September. And I am not to sure how long the medical is good for that would be great if it was good for a year.

Comment

• jaguarshark
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by rl0089
              Isn't the medical good for a year? Why spend all that money on another medical weekend unless its for new candidates?

The medical is good for a month or two. The government spends money in very quizzical ways, the NYSP is no different.

Comment

• jaguarshark
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Chasechase
                Would someone be able to explain the academics in the academy. How many exams are given and are they every week? What exam must you score 100% on? Thanks!
                If I remember correctly, there are 5 big module exams which require 75% or higher to pass and remain employed. You fail you get a makeup exam and after that you look for another employer. The Search & Seizure exam requires 85% I think.

The big exams are every few weeks, pretty much evenly spaced throughout the 6 months. There are smaller scale exams depending what weekly concentration you're taking (ex: EMS, Radar, breathalyzer, etc)

tip: a lot of people completely unfamiliar with a paramilitary organization are confused over rank structure. Know the order of ranks and their insignia.

Above all, know that everything in the Academy is doable. Mind over matter, put the effort in and you'll pass.

Comment

• CLP3691
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2015

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Troop NYC

Comment

• reils49
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jaguarshark
                    The medical is good for a month or two. The government spends money in very quizzical ways, the NYSP is no different.
                    Quizzical. I like it.
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Chasechase
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jaguarshark
                      If I remember correctly, there are 5 big module exams which require 75% or higher to pass and remain employed. You fail you get a makeup exam and after that you look for another employer. The Search & Seizure exam requires 85% I think.

The big exams are every few weeks, pretty much evenly spaced throughout the 6 months. There are smaller scale exams depending what weekly concentration you're taking (ex: EMS, Radar, breathalyzer, etc)

tip: a lot of people completely unfamiliar with a paramilitary organization are confused over rank structure. Know the order of ranks and their insignia.

Above all, know that everything in the Academy is doable. Mind over matter, put the effort in and you'll pass.

Thank you!

Comment

• J.kopcza
                        Forum Member
                        • Feb 2015

Hey if you don't mind me asking what does the medical consist of? I assume vision test, drug test, hearing test, what else? Do you have to do the sit-up push-ups run allover?

Comment

• NYCopper
                          Forum Member
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by J.kopcza
                          Hey if you don't mind me asking what does the medical consist of? I assume vision test, drug test, hearing test, what else? Do you have to do the sit-up push-ups run allover?
                          At one point they did a medical exam and had recruits redo the pt test. Last medical (and a couple prior) was just a typical sports physical, no pt test.

Comment

• Trey1205
                            Forum Member
                            • Aug 2015

If I remember correctly The vision, hearing, and drug test were done on the processing weekend when I attended in May. At the medical in September you did your physical with Doctor and your uniform fitting. There might have been a couple of other things also.

Comment

• NYCopper
                              Forum Member
                              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Trey1205
                              If I remember correctly The vision, hearing, and drug test were done on the processing weekend when I attended in May. At the medical in September you did your physical with Doctor and your uniform fitting. There might have been a couple of other things also.
                              Exactly.

Comment

• Matt8538
                                Forum Member
                                • Aug 2015

Take this lightly but I heard second Sunday in March start date13/14

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11874 users online. 66 members and 11808 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...