Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for a medical letter like everyone else. This academy class has 4 weeks left, guessing the next class will start in october. If your not doing burpees, holding yourself in the down push-up position and running 5 miles a day, I would start now. Physical fitness is no joke from what I hear from friends who have gone through and graduated recently.

Comment

• Also waiting for the final medical invite. Five miles a day, seven days a week!? I've been training for a while but nothing close to that amount of running. Better up my game!

Comment

• Keep in mind PT is only half of it. You also have very serious DT. Doing both in one day is very tough. The best advice I can give you is your goal should be to enter the academy being able to meet the graduation standards for your gender and age group. If you can do that then you'll make life a lot easier on yourself. The last thing you want to do is enter barely being able to make the entrance standards. The first month is going to be hard enough you'll only make it harder going in barely making it. Use your remaining time wisely.
        In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Comment

• Originally posted by Empiregrey View Post
          Keep in mind PT is only half of it. You also have very serious DT. Doing both in one day is very tough. The best advice I can give you is your goal should be to enter the academy being able to meet the graduation standards for your gender and age group. If you can do that then you'll make life a lot easier on yourself. The last thing you want to do is enter barely being able to make the entrance standards. The first month is going to be hard enough you'll only make it harder going in barely making it. Use your remaining time wisely.

Can't stress enough the importance of attaining and maintaining peak physical performance. It's a win win situation. The seriousness that physical endurance and stamina plays in this job cannot be overstated. You'll come out of the academy in the best shape of your life (Just ask my wife ) and you'll be prepared for dream job. Just wait till you have to walk around the State Fairgrounds on patrol for 12 hours straight or walk through the woods searching for prisoners for 18 hours straight! Always keep yourself at peak performance! You'll never regret it.

You guys must not strive for the minimum. The minimum is just that. If they ask for 29 pushups, you should should be doing 40. You'll never regret being in the best shape of your life. Just be ready to swat off all the ladies when your wearing your uniform and your guns are ripping through

Comment

• Originally posted by Empiregrey View Post
            No one from the current crop of applicants monitoring this thread is getting hired if you let it fall to page two again!!!

But seriously this thread is almost ten years old don't drop the ball carry the torch. There are guys on now with almost 10 years on that started by asking questions here.
            You sure are making me feel old

Comment

• Any word on the potential start date for the next academy? I think the current class graduates in a couple of weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                You sure are making me feel old
                That makes 2 of us!
                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• can anyone send me a private message of member hiring unit phone number. I want to contact them asking if they received my deferment letter

Comment

• It has been way too quiet on here. Has anyone heard anything at all? Been wrapped up since May. Just waiting for that medical letter. Hopefully it comes soon, because the folks in the academy now should be wrapping up pretty soon.

Comment

• Hey all, i am just wondering since i am in a tough situation. I finished my background back in april and i am currently living out of the country, if we recieve a medical invite is it a sure thing we are in the academy or still a big chance of getting turned down? I only ask because if i do get the invite i would have to quit my job to make the medical, and would not like to be stuck without a job. Sorry about the life story. Stay positive fellas

Comment

• Originally posted by emlaxstar9 View Post
                        Hey all, i am just wondering since i am in a tough situation. I finished my background back in april and i am currently living out of the country, if we recieve a medical invite is it a sure thing we are in the academy or still a big chance of getting turned down? I only ask because if i do get the invite i would have to quit my job to make the medical, and would not like to be stuck without a job. Sorry about the life story. Stay positive fellas
                        I think even if you receive an invitation for the medical, there is still the possibility of being found ineligible. This is all going off of past posts in this thread.

Comment

• An invitation to the Medical evaluation is not a sure sign of acceptance. Below is an excerpt from the NYSP website.

http://www.nytrooper.com/selection_process.cfm

Medical Examination

Approximately one month prior to appointment to an Academy class, medical examinations will be conducted at the New York State Police Academy in Albany, NY, by a NYSP Division Physician. Each potential appointee will be required to authorize access to mental health records.

The Division Physician will examine the candidate's medical condition and general ability to perform the essential related job functions. Elements of the examination involve candidates hearing, dental condition, height/weight proportions and visual acuity.

If the Division Physician should recommend that a candidate is unable to perform the essential functions of the position, the conditional offer of appointment may be revoked by the Superintendent and the candidate will be disqualified.

The selection process has been developed through analysis of the Trooper position.

Comment

• Hopefully if nothing is delayed we can look to around the end of August or the beginning of September for med invites. I can confirm from a source that the budget is an issue, but hopefully they find the funding to push through with an October Academy!

Comment

• Long time lurker...I've read through all 432 pages here. Wrapped up my BI last month after processing May 16/17- awaiting a med invite currently. I've also heard rumors about October academy start date but would think med invites could be arriving any day now since (based on the past) they usually arrive around 7 weeks prior to academy start.

Figured I'd chime in so future candidates can get a good estimate of a timeline just as I have done from this forum.

Oh just so future candidates can reference: I scored a 97.XX and am ranked 67XX. According to the website, they've processed up to 7100 at this point. Thats two years from the exam and 7,000+ processed- they're making good progress on this list I'd say.
                              Last edited by bc123123; 08-13-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Prospect, clear your inbox.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4902 users online. 305 members and 4597 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X