Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by netsfan549 View Post
    Oh ok thanks, I make 60k right now. I just owe car loans about 35k
    I own my own business which I'd have to sell off to my partner (since you can't own a business as a police officer). I have quite the amount of debt but most of it would be paid off with my capital I'd receive from a buy out. I'd be taking a pay cut to work for the NYSP but it's not about money as most of us would agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by UggyPreston View Post
      I own my own business which I'd have to sell off to my partner (since you can't own a business as a police officer). I have quite the amount of debt but most of it would be paid off with my capital I'd receive from a buy out. I'd be taking a pay cut to work for the NYSP but it's not about money as most of us would agree.
      There are plenty of cops that own their own business.

Comment

• Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
        There are plenty of cops that own their own business.
        You are not allowed to have another job while employed by the NYSP.

Comment

You are not allowed to have another job while employed by the NYSP.
          Thats more specific. He said as a police officer.

Comment

• Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
            Thats more specific. He said as a police officer.
            This is a New York State Police thread and I was talking about selling my business because as a NY State Trooper I cannot own a business.....I assumed most knew the context that by "police officer" I meant NYSP.

Comment

This is a New York State Police thread and I was talking about selling my business because as a NY State Trooper I cannot own a business.....I assumed most knew the context that by "police officer" I meant NYSP.
              You can't have a business while on probation as a trooper. Probation being 1 full year after graduating the Academy.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaguarshark View Post
                You can't have a business while on probation as a trooper. Probation being 1 full year after graduating the Academy.
                I own a restaurant and you CANNOT have a New York State Liquor license if you are a police officer. That applies for any agency in NY State so unfortunately I have to sell my share of the business and surrender my Liquor license.

Comment

I own a restaurant and you CANNOT have a New York State Liquor license if you are a police officer. That applies for any agency in NY State so unfortunately I have to sell my share of the business and surrender my Liquor license.
                  You should've been more specific lest you confuse others.

Outside of specific exceptions, you can have side gigs once you finish the Academy and probation.

Comment

• Hey, for the guys that's took the polygraph when do you get your polygraph results? Do you get them from the polygraph instructor or does your investigator contact you?

Comment

• Took my polygraph last week and just got a call from my BI to come in and meet with him. Anyone else go through this? just wondering what to expect when I go in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sl6793 View Post
                        Took my polygraph last week and just got a call from my BI to come in and meet with him. Anyone else go through this? just wondering what to expect when I go in.
                        You may need to clarify something from the polygraph. When did you take the PAT?

Comment

• I went up for the March 21/22 weekend.

Comment

• To any current troopers-

When I took the 2013 exam I was not currently serving in the military, and hence couldn't use any veteran's points. However, since that exam I've enlisted in the Army National Guard, and I know that the selection process is generally the same for everyone, but I was wondering how much my military service will help me during the selection process, perhaps during the background investigation, etc. Will it give them more incentive to hire me at the end of the day? Or is that generally just overlooked, which is totally understandable if that's the case, since there's no veteran's points being used.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eguzman0920 View Post
                              Well first and foremost, thank you for your time and actually writing something with meaning...
                              And @reils49.... Yes I am serious otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time out of my family's life and my work life to spend the weekend out in Albany....
                              Yes I am hopeful, Yes I've made a mistake, but s!!t happens and I just wanted an opinion or a fact or if somebody has ever heard of the situation, I went into the Marine Corps with the DWI, and came out with it as well, it never went away nor will it ever.... So yes I'm serious in ALL of my LE endeavors...
                              just looking to pick up the pieces of an effed up college life... It is what it is....
                              First off Reils49 is a Trooper (and former Marine) and pretty much gave you the response that anyone on this job would give you. If you were on this job standing in the squad room with your platoon what do you think they are going to be thinking when they find out? We are very proud of our agency. And it ****es us off whenever anyone on this job does anything to embarrass our agency or our profession as a whole. One of the most embarrassing and hopefully career ending "mistakes" an individual can make is to get a DWI. Can someone get through with a DWI? I don't know. I do know I was called last round by a background investigator who was processing someone I arrested for DWI and when asked my I opinion I said not a chance. They did not get hired. When you talk about college life and the military remember you are dealing with an agency that requires 2 years of college and will only wave half of that for 2 years of military service. Therefore all of the people you are competing with have college and many also have military. Personally I had 11 years in the military (7 active) and a four year degree when I started and my qualification don't measure up against a lot of the guys I work with. So when you consider you are competing against people who have the same qualifications as you and didn't end up getting a DWI during their "effed up college life" there is a very good chance, and rightful so, that this could be a deal breaker. Over 20,000 people took the test for maybe a couple thousand spots I'm pretty sure we can fill those spots with qualified people who haven't had a DWI.

One more piece of advice: stop referring to a DWI as a mistake. It's a conscious, selfish, criminal decision. No one in LE refers to it as a mistake.
                              Last edited by Empiregrey; 05-30-2015, 12:04 PM.
                              In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eguzman0920 View Post
                                Well first and foremost, thank you for your time and actually writing something with meaning...
                                And @reils49.... Yes I am serious otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time out of my family's life and my work life to spend the weekend out in Albany....
                                Yes I am hopeful, Yes I've made a mistake, but s!!t happens and I just wanted an opinion or a fact or if somebody has ever heard of the situation, I went into the Marine Corps with the DWI, and came out with it as well, it never went away nor will it ever.... So yes I'm serious in ALL of my LE endeavors...
                                just looking to pick up the pieces of an effed up college life... It is what it is....
                                It a serious question: "Are you serious?!"

If you don't like it, not my problem.
                                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10182 users online. 504 members and 9678 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X