Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Whitty; 03-07-2015, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• As an ATO yelled in my face on the lunch line I looked straight ahead at the sign on the wall, "Begin with the end in mind". Everything you learn has a purpose. Don't take it personal when you get singled out. That stupid thing that you did in the academy that was corrected may save your behind one day.

Comment

• So Empiregrey what can you get the boot for in the academy? Just failing test and then the rest quit. What if you have an off PT test esp on the first one a miss a push up/ sit up or the run by seconds do they give guys the boot then or expect by the end they would be fine which i would imagine everyone is cranking out the pt test by the end.

Comment

• Backfill

I received a call on Friday that I am a backfill. Member Hiring stated that I will be receiving a letter of everything I need to have packed just in case I receive the call. Is anyone familiar with the backfill process and what the likelihood of receiving the call and having to report?

Comment

• Originally posted by kpm View Post
            I received a call on Friday that I am a backfill. Member Hiring stated that I will be receiving a letter of everything I need to have packed just in case I receive the call. Is anyone familiar with the backfill process and what the likelihood of receiving the call and having to report?
            They can call you to be there the same day, i believe its only in the first two weeks if someone quits or gets the boot. You should prob have a good chance considering from what i heard there were not many in the overage so 1 or 2 people quitting is very reasonable to think will happen

Comment

What rank # are you and it's a big class im sure someone will drop

Comment

• Originally posted by zombiemap View Post
                what rank # are you and it's a big class im sure someone will drop
                35xx.

Comment

• Originally posted by wnybills10 View Post
                  They can call you to be there the same day, i believe its only in the first two weeks if someone quits or gets the boot. You should prob have a good chance considering from what i heard there were not many in the overage so 1 or 2 people quitting is very reasonable to think will happen
                  Thank you. That is what I have heard as well. If the backfills do not get into the March class are they reserved a spot persay in the next class that takes place?

Comment

• Originally posted by wnybills10 View Post
                    So Empiregrey what can you get the boot for in the academy? Just failing test and then the rest quit. What if you have an off PT test esp on the first one a miss a push up/ sit up or the run by seconds do they give guys the boot then or expect by the end they would be fine which i would imagine everyone is cranking out the pt test by the end.
                    Let me start this how I should have started my first post: I have no connection to the Academy now so I can only tell you how it was when I went through.
                    When I went through no one was dropped for failing the first PT test they were put in a group that got special PT attention. Not a group you want to be in. Between PT, DT and getting smoked there is a lot of PT at the Academy. You are doing yourself a great disservice if you show up below the min standards. I would guess most quit the first few weeks because they just can't keep up with the physical and mental stress and most of the mental stress is brought on by not being physically ready.

Obviously you'll get bounced for an integrity violation as we have no need for people who lack integrity.

And then failing the tests.

By the end everyone should be able to qualify on PT, Firearms and EVOC because the instructors and program are so good but only you can get you through the tests and not quitting.

The State Police have been running Academies since 1917. Far far more recruits have passed than failed. Go in with a positive attitude. Never forget how bad you want it and remember quitting sticks with you a lifetime the academy is only six months. Which is longer?
                    Last edited by Empiregrey; 02-09-2015, 09:28 AM.
                    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Comment

• Originally posted by Empiregrey View Post
                      Let me start this how I should have started my first post: I have no connection to the Academy now so I can only tell you how it was when I went through.
                      When I went through no one was dropped for failing the first PT test they were put in a group that got special PT attention. Not a group you want to be in. Between PT, DT and getting smoked there is a lot of PT at the Academy. You are doing yourself a great disservice if you show up below the min standards. I would guess most quit the first few weeks because they just can't keep up with the physical and mental stress and most of the mental stress is brought on by not being physically ready.

Obviously you'll get bounced for an integrity violation as we have no need for people who lack integrity.

And then failing the tests.

By the end everyone should be able to qualify on PT, Firearms and EVOC because the instructors and program are so good but only you can get you through the tests and not quitting.

The State Police have been running Academies since 1917. Far far more recruits have passed than failed. Go in with a positive attitude. Never forget how bad you want it and remember quitting sticks with you a lifetime the academy is only six months. Which is longer?
                      Thank you for your insight, and i don't plan to be in the group but i will not be excelling at the run right away which sucks but i broke my leg back in the summer and was why i was not in the last class. So needless to say im not up to my top speed yet so i guess extra PT wouldn't kill me either

Comment

• Do you have any information on the backfill process and the likelihood of getting the call to report?

Comment

Do you have any information on the backfill process and the likelihood of getting the call to report?
                          Did they tell you what rank you are in in backfill? Usually there are at least 5 guys that bail in that first week. Heck 1 or 2 don't make day 1. It's not unheard of for someone to drive to the parking lot, see the festivities, and turn around.

Comment

• Being a backfill is nothing more than a math equation that the people in HR deal with. They know how many people are appointed to the class. They know based on the past what the average attrition rate is for the time period they are allowed to backfill and then based on that number they will then add a few more, just like they process more than they need. No one call tell you the likelihood without knowing how many backfills are ahead of you and how many recruits will quit. That is why back fills are called and told to report on the same day. Because no one knows when a back fill will be needed until they are needed. What is almost absolutely certain is that every class will call some backfills; so be ready.
                            In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Comment

• Originally posted by jaguarshark View Post
                              Did they tell you what rank you are in in backfill? Usually there are at least 5 guys that bail in that first week. Heck 1 or 2 don't make day 1. It's not unheard of for someone to drive to the parking lot, see the festivities, and turn around.
                              No, they did not tell me what rank I was in for backfill, but they did tell me to have everything ready to go in case I do get the call. I am pretty sure they said I was next to go, but at the same time I cannot remember 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Empiregrey View Post
                                Being a backfill is nothing more than a math equation that the people in HR deal with. They know how many people are appointed to the class. They know based on the past what the average attrition rate is for the time period they are allowed to backfill and then based on that number they will then add a few more, just like they process more than they need. No one call tell you the likelihood without knowing how many backfills are ahead of you and how many recruits will quit. That is why back fills are called and told to report on the same day. Because no one knows when a back fill will be needed until they are needed. What is almost absolutely certain is that every class will call some backfills; so be ready.
                                Thank you for the information!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8774 users online. 440 members and 8334 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X