Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by c_ob View Post
    Any advice from a trooper what time is the best to show up? Is it rude to show up after 5?
    Don't get there too late or all the pizza and wings will be gone.

    Comment


    • Oh wow I didn't realize they give us food I'll be sure to show up on an empty stomach. Thank you!

      Originally posted by jaguarshark View Post
      Don't get there too late or all the pizza and wings will be gone.

      Comment


      • ..................
        Last edited by Whitty; 03-07-2015, 08:45 AM.

        Comment


        • For those of you asking about retirement you may be getting different answers because you are asking members who were hired at different times. I was hired at Tier 2 so I really couldn't tell you anything about the other tiers so if someone asked me I'd tell them out in 20 at 50% or 32 with 70%. This is the tiers and the corresponding years. Needless to say if you get hired you'll be at tier 6.


          You are in: If you joined:

          Tier 1: before July 31, 1973
          Tier 2 : July 31, 1973 through June 30, 2009
          Tier 3 : July 1, 2009 through January 8, 2010*
          Tier 5 : January 9, 2010 through March 31, 2012
          Tier 6 : April 1, 2012 or after

          For more answers go here:


          http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...s_benefits.php
          Last edited by Empiregrey; 02-08-2015, 12:32 AM.
          In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

          Comment


          • Lets talk about how the State Police really works and rumors.
            The average Trooper, Sergeant or Lieutenant does not have immediate access to budget information or class size or hiring information just by simply being a member, in fact most of us get our info the same way you get yours: reading the budget online. Is is possible that they may have access to that information or know someone who may? Yes, however, until it happens no one can give you any guaranties. Are there rumors coming from within the agency right now that this will be the last class for awhile? Yes. Right now that is what we are hearing based on the current budget. This seems to have some solid validity based on the fact that this rumor was tied to them increasing the size of the next class, which has happened. However even if that is 100% true right now there are forces within our agency that will continue to fight for more classes simply because we are losing people faster than we can put new troopers on the road and our roles in NYC and in the fight against heroin epidemic are suppose to be expanding. So as large and spread out as our agency is by the time a rumor, true of false, gets to "this trooper I know" things could have already changed. I have not read anything on here in the last 10 pages that is outright false or pot stirring, it's just impossible to say if what the truth is today will be the truth tomorrow. If you are on the list don't put your life on hold. Keeping working out, stay out of trouble, and apply to as many agencies as you can. For those of you going to the Academy; Good Luck.
            Last edited by Empiregrey; 02-08-2015, 12:15 AM.
            In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

            Comment


            • For those of you going to the Academy:

              If it says to be there between 5p-8p be there at 4:45p. After 6 months those three extra hours aren't going to matter but it shows your ATOs that this matters to you. Plus the roads and weather are crap if you plan to get there at 5p and are delayed you should still be there before 8p. Plan to be there by 7:30p and you get hung up and then what? My first roommate got there late. He became the center of attention until he broke. My second roommate was my first roommates backfill.

              Bring two suits. Not even an option. I ended up lending my second one to a session mate who needed it. He was a former Marine NCO. Bad news: He failed. Good news: I got my suit back before he left. Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

              Large classes are good. Huge classes suck. 250 is a huge class. Sorry it's gonna suck. But hey at least you made it.

              Car pooling. A few groups did but most of us did not. Way more cons than pros to it. If your going to do it wait at least a month. Nothing like car pooling with someone who quits or fails out. Better hope you drove that week or you'll be hitching it from Albany. Even those who did car pool never car pooled on a test week.

              I used to be on this website for about three years under a different user name, I had over a 1,000 post but then I left for about five years and just came back. But I have been following this thread since it started. One of the "traditions" on this thread seems to be that you start out going through the hiring process asking tons of questions and getting a lot of smart @55 answers from guys on the job, then you get hired and you come back on and start giving the smart @55 answers. Its all in good fun and if you make it through you'll be the one giving the answers 8-10 months from now but if you have any questions and you're looking for a straight answer you can PM and I'll try and answer it the best I can; just keep in mind I'm no longer standing by my mailbox waiting for that golden envelope so I don't check in very often so be patient. Oh and if you know you are going to the academy stop using social media now, including forums like this, and don't start again until you are either on FTO or never. Unless of course you want to be standing on stage reading your posts out loud to your class. Yes they already know who you are.
              Last edited by Empiregrey; 02-08-2015, 12:20 AM.
              In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

              Comment


              • Thank you so much for your post. I will be there at 4:45 with 2 suits

                Originally posted by Empiregrey View Post
                For those of you going to the Academy:

                If it says to be there between 5p-8p be there at 4:45p. After 6 months those three extra hours aren't going to matter but it shows your ATOs that this matters to you. Plus the roads and weather are crap if you plan to get there at 5p and are delayed you should still be there before 8p. Plan to be there by 7:30p and you get hung up and then what? My first roommate got there late. He became the center of attention until he broke. My second roommate was my first roommates backfill.

                Bring two suits. Not even an option. I ended up lending my second one to a session mate who needed it. He was a former Marine NCO. Bad news: He failed. Good news: I got my suit back before he left. Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

                Large classes are good. Huge classes suck. 250 is a huge class. Sorry it's gonna suck. But hey at least you made it.

                Car pooling. A few groups did but most of us did not. Way more cons than pros to it. If your going to do it wait at least a month. Nothing like car pooling with someone who quits or fails out. Better hope you drove that week or you'll be hitching it from Albany. Even those who did car pool never car pooled on a test week.

                I used to be on this website for about three years under a different user name, I had over a 1,000 post but then I left for about five years and just came back. But I have been following this thread since it started. One of the "traditions" on this thread seems to be that you start out going through the hiring process asking tons of questions and getting a lot of smart @55 answers from guys on the job, then you get hired and you come back on and start giving the smart @55 answers. Its all in good fun and if you make it through you'll be the one giving the answers 8-10 months from now but if you have any questions and you're looking for a straight answer you can PM and I'll try and answer it the best I can; just keep in mind I'm no longer standing by my mailbox waiting for that golden envelope so I don't check in very often so be patient. Oh and if you know you are going to the academy stop using social media now, including forums like this, and don't start again until you are either on FTO or never. Unless of course you want to be standing on stage reading your posts out loud to your class. Yes they already know who you are.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Empiregrey View Post
                  For those of you going to the Academy:

                  If it says to be there between 5p-8p be there at 4:45p. After 6 months those three extra hours aren't going to matter but it shows your ATOs that this matters to you. Plus the roads and weather are crap if you plan to get there at 5p and are delayed you should still be there before 8p. Plan to be there by 7:30p and you get hung up and then what? My first roommate got there late. He became the center of attention until he broke. My second roommate was my first roommates backfill.

                  Bring two suits. Not even an option. I ended up lending my second one to a session mate who needed it. He was a former Marine NCO. Bad news: He failed. Good news: I got my suit back before he left. Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

                  Large classes are good. Huge classes suck. 250 is a huge class. Sorry it's gonna suck. But hey at least you made it.

                  Car pooling. A few groups did but most of us did not. Way more cons than pros to it. If your going to do it wait at least a month. Nothing like car pooling with someone who quits or fails out. Better hope you drove that week or you'll be hitching it from Albany. Even those who did car pool never car pooled on a test week.

                  I used to be on this website for about three years under a different user name, I had over a 1,000 post but then I left for about five years and just came back. But I have been following this thread since it started. One of the "traditions" on this thread seems to be that you start out going through the hiring process asking tons of questions and getting a lot of smart @55 answers from guys on the job, then you get hired and you come back on and start giving the smart @55 answers. Its all in good fun and if you make it through you'll be the one giving the answers 8-10 months from now but if you have any questions and you're looking for a straight answer you can PM and I'll try and answer it the best I can; just keep in mind I'm no longer standing by my mailbox waiting for that golden envelope so I don't check in very often so be patient. Oh and if you know you are going to the academy stop using social media now, including forums like this, and don't start again until you are either on FTO or never. Unless of course you want to be standing on stage reading your posts out loud to your class. Yes they already know who you are.
                  How come the huge class is going to suck compared to just a large one? Did your second toomate fail out based on his exam scores or for other reasons? Thanks for all the tips, definitely is a huge help!

                  Comment


                  • Thank you for the tips. I will make sure also buy another suit if I get an acceptance packet
                    Last edited by Eriecounty250; 02-08-2015, 10:48 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Wise words Empiregrey. Big classes are no fun because you have 8 people to a shower, sustain many kicks to the head during sit ups in the gym, the plumbing system backs up, you wait forever hoping to eat, and sickness is rampant with so many people being crammed into one space. Some of the problems can be alleviated with staggered session times. There may be some other things that I left out or blocked from my memory.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                        Wise words Empiregrey. Big classes are no fun because you have 8 people to a shower, sustain many kicks to the head during sit ups in the gym, the plumbing system backs up, you wait forever hoping to eat, and sickness is rampant with so many people being crammed into one space. Some of the problems can be alleviated with staggered session times. There may be some other things that I left out or blocked from my memory.
                        All make sense. Thanks again

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Chachi View Post
                          How come the huge class is going to suck compared to just a large one? Did your second toomate fail out based on his exam scores or for other reasons? Thanks for all the tips, definitely is a huge help!
                          A large class can keep you under the radar but a huge class can become a logistical nightmare and add extra stress.

                          The state police can't add time in a day. It's 24 hours no matter what so your going to get 10 minutes to shower whether 4 people are sharing the bathroom or eight. When 250 people have to leave a room, go to another room, complete a task, and then return to the original room there are going to be times when some people haven't even left the first room before the time limit is up. Signing out on Friday can take a bit longer too. Oh well just part of the game. Sometimes with classes this big they will run A lines, B lines and C lines (different start and end times) just to get everyone through everything.

                          And finally in 2006 there was a class this big. The plumbing couldn't handle it. They were literally, not figuratively but literally, knee deep in $h!t.

                          But either way it doesn't matter you are in. Class size will not make or break you it will just add to the experience. The troopers who blew up the plumbing still talk about it now. Plus it helped the local economy as they had to replace some carpets. Huge classes suck, small classes suck, it is six months at some point it will suck for everybody but nothing is going to kill you. Thousands and thousands of people have done it before you so it can easily be done.

                          My first roommate didn't fail he quit. He showed up after 8p. I think closer to 9 or 10. That left an impression to say the least. When you are just starting out the ATOs can't possibly know everybody so if you screw up the first two days you'll stick out fast. They were on him like a pride of lions the first week. He kept making mistakes which didn't help. Half way through the second week he quit.

                          My second roommate graduated. He was the back fill for the first roommate that quit. He got a call in the morning telling him he had to be in Albany by the end of the day; so if you're told you are a back fill pack a bag and keep your phone on. I remember getting smoked because he showed up and his shoes weren't shined and since I was his roommate I got smoked for not helping him out. I hadn't even meet him yet when that happened. Believe me there is never an excuse.

                          If you are asking about the guy who borrowed my suit he failed out on the first test. A lot of us suspected he did that on purpose because he couldn't bring himself to quit. When he turned in his books they had never been opened so he never tried.

                          I think we lost in the neighborhood of 10-12. I can't remember now. There were guys who left the first night that we never met. Others quit in the first couple weeks and some failed out on the tests. We even had two officers, one local and one fed, that chose to leave and go back to their old agency for whatever reasons. I think overall about half quit and half failed out. Luckily many who quit, quit in time for us to get backfills so they didn't waste a spot for someone who really wanted to be there.
                          Last edited by Empiregrey; 02-08-2015, 01:29 PM.
                          In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

                          Comment


                          • Wow great info. Yeah, I just had wondered how many couldn't keep up with the curriculum and how difficult everything we would cover would be. Thank you again.

                            Comment


                            • I have a feeling Whitty is going to be "that guy"

                              Originally posted by Empiregrey View Post
                              One of the "traditions" on this thread seems to be that you start out going through the hiring process asking tons of questions and getting a lot of smart @55 answers from guys on the job, then you get hired and you come back on and start giving the smart @55 answers.

                              Comment


                              • hopefully tomorrow we get the packet.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8995 users online. 460 members and 8535 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X