Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Letters go out Friday!

    Comment


    • Does anyone know If the troopers are on a 20 or 25 year retirement system? Also, do they have something like a 401k or TSP?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Nysp201491 View Post
        Does anyone know If the troopers are on a 20 or 25 year retirement system? Also, do they have something like a 401k or TSP?
        20 years @ 50% (Reference NYS tier 6 State Police). Can't answer the 401k question but most departments have some type of optional defined contribution plan.

        Comment


        • When I was taking my polygraph, the officer informed me that the retirement is now 25 years. For cirrent members before they made the change still are eligible for the 20 years. As far as a 401k goes, I cannot answer that, but my guess is no..

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Fredenburg1 View Post
            When I was taking my polygraph, the officer informed me that the retirement is now 25 years. For cirrent members before they made the change still are eligible for the 20 years. As far as a 401k goes, I cannot answer that, but my guess is no..
            I just read the NYS tier 6 - State Police and it says 20 years.

            "Members in this plan who have 20 years of creditable service may still retire at any age with unreduced benefits"

            You have to read the SP one and not the regular police and fire one. Unless I am misunderstanding, which I don't think I am. Only real difference is that tier 6 actually have to pay into their pension (variable % of pay), and Final year salary is calculated without any of the perks (Ie. OT, bonus pays, etc.)


            http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/em...ate_police.php

            Comment


            • And just confirmed on the NYSP PBA website that troopers can (voluntarily) contribute to the NYS Deferred compensation plan, which is basically a governmental 401k type plan. Hope that answers your questions.

              Comment


              • I also read that same article, but I was relaying what the investigator had mentioned to me. I don't know if the 25 year plan is being put into works or just an idea, but he did mention that it was changing from 20 to 25 years.

                Comment


                • This might be a stupid question so how would we apply for the NYS Deferred compensation plan

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Fredenburg1 View Post
                    I also read that same article, but I was relaying what the investigator had mentioned to me. I don't know if the 25 year plan is being put into works or just an idea, but he did mention that it was changing from 20 to 25 years.
                    My investigstor told me the same exact thing about it being changed to 25 years.
                    And I'm sure HR will tell us how to contribute to the deferred compensation plan once we are actually hired

                    Comment


                    • Yeah remember there hasn't been a new contract for a few years so that may be what they are trying to push into the next contract so hopefully we get in and its still 20. But at this time 20 is the retirement barring a new contract agreement before our class is supposed to begin

                      Comment


                      • At least I'm not the only one that sounds crazy right now..

                        Comment


                        • ..........
                          Last edited by NiagaraCounty; 02-09-2015, 12:15 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by zombiemap View Post
                            This might be a stupid question so how would we apply for the NYS Deferred compensation plan
                            You're gonna be "that guy" in the Academy aren't you?

                            Comment


                            • ..................
                              Last edited by Whitty; 03-07-2015, 08:48 AM.

                              Comment


                              • ..................
                                Last edited by Whitty; 03-07-2015, 08:48 AM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5149 users online. 200 members and 4949 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X