300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    You two ought to ride together and save a couple of thousand in gas money.
    Now, that's funny! But also very true.
    sigpic
    IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• AT2B,

Just sent you an email pertaining to our earlier discussion. Hope it helps.

Comment

• passed medically...cancer be damned!!

ended up having to do over 40 pushups....."locking out" your arms must mean something different in my part of ny....

made it back to nassau county a little after 1:30 this afternoon....was NOT expecting that. (i think i may have cut an entire line, but i just went where the trooper pointed me and no one said anything)

i think i have a legit shot, because i deferred once.

hope you other folks did alright too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
          passed medically...cancer be damned!!

ended up having to do over 40 pushups....."locking out" your arms must mean something different in my part of ny....

made it back to nassau county a little after 1:30 this afternoon....was NOT expecting that. (i think i may have cut an entire line, but i just went where the trooper pointed me and no one said anything)

i think i have a legit shot, because i deferred once.

hope you other folks did alright too.
          Congrats!

How come you had to do pushups? Do you retake the PAT or something for the medical?
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
            Congrats!

How come you had to do pushups? Do you retake the PAT or something for the medical?
            they caught me 'eyeballing' one of the troopers.....

just kidding.........you have to redo your pushups and situps at the final medical.

Comment

• Well, I'm still in Albany and don't leave until tomorrow afternoon. The testing went well for me, I only saw 9 people fail (all the ones I saw failed their situps and had to meet with the Captain). I was surprised they were allowed to continue with the testing...

There were a total of 230 people who showed up. The testing lasted until approximately 11:30am. We were told they would be chosing positions for the next academy based on your rank number (which wasn't a surprise to me, it's exactly what everyone on our forum has been saying).

Anyway, good luck to all those who showed up and I hope to see you in August!

Comment

• My buddy was one of the guys. I watched him do his situps and he did about 50 because the trooper holding his feet kept saying he wasn't going down all the way but everyone watching thought he was including myself. He ended up doing 39 and he needed 40 and the guy is in top shape which didn't make sense. Why should one sit up not let you continue it was his second time doing the medical in which he passed everything else today without no problem and already did his PT test(in which he ran the mile and half in 9 mins 52 secs which is well below graduation standards) and medical in november without a problem and you think 1 situp should not let a guy in. I could see if he did like 20 cause then he will struggle in the academy. The captain said it does not DQ you but he filled out a piece of paper stating that he informed the candidate of the the phsyical process in the academy. There were a lot of military guys that deferred that showed up this time around. Well hope to hear in a few weeks and goodluck to everyone

Comment

• I saw some e-mail today, and 150 is still the number for the next class.

Comment

they caught me 'eyeballing' one of the troopers.....

just kidding.........you have to redo your pushups and situps at the final medical.
                    Oh man! Your lucky they didn't poke your eyes out.

Pushups and situps huh. Doesn't sound bad. I haven't stopped doing them and running since my PAT. I actually enjoy doing all of the above on a daily basis now.

Congrats again to all that passed. Good luck to those going to the Academy.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Nice article about LE for a change

http://www.pressrepublican.com/0201_...177223009.html
                      EDITORIAL: Troopers heroic in our behalf

If you read the riveting story in Sunday's Press-Republican Spectrum section about State Trooper James Andre's confrontations with bad guys Frank Talarico, Jack Zogby and Warren O'Shea, you had to be moved by the bravery and dedication of the force back in the 1950s. If you didn't read it, you should.

The story evokes more than a sense of admiration for the work of the State Police, although it certainly does that. It takes the reader back to a time when a state trooper was just a state trooper -- and little more.

That was by design. In the 1950s, when Andre was patrolling the North Country, troopers worked virtually 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When a man -- there were no women in the force back then -- signed on with the troopers, he belonged exclusively to the State Police. It was no good to be married, either for the trooper or for the troop.

If the trooper were married, he'd rarely get to see his wife, as he'd be on duty just about all the time. The troop would have to abide the man's attention being divided between his work and his family. There was no time for marriage in those days. In fact, marriage is the reason Andre resigned from the force. He realized that his coming nuptials would have to mean the end his career with the State Police.

Andre can recall incidents in which he'd be obliged to enter a bar, alone, where bedlam had broken loose. It was his job to step between combatants in near-riot conditions and restore order. The uniform often didn't instill the fear and respect it should have.

While the '50s in certain areas of the North Country more closely resembled the Wild West than Cold War years, being a trooper these days is no walk in the park, either.

When troopers stop a driver for speeding on the Northway, say, there is no telling what awaits them in approaching the offending vehicle. The troopers cannot know whether the person they are soon to confront is an inadvertent speeder or a desperate fugitive.

A sense of personal safety has to be secondary to the interests of the state and its citizens.

These days, the craving for drugs and the lucrative industry in distributing them has turned formerly law-abiding people into desperados. The troopers and other law-enforcement personnel are doing the dangerous job that ordinary citizens can't or don't want to try to do.

It takes a special person to be an effective law-enforcement operative. In 2006, three troopers were killed in the line of duty. In fact, since 1991, 1,115 officers from 133 police agencies throughout the state have died doing their jobs.

It was a dangerous job in James Andre's day, and it remains so today.

We're very lucky to have them. They're doing a job few of us would be equipped to do.

Comment

• if someone would be kind enough to answer these.....

how many years to full retirement w/ the nysp?

what does the work week typically look like for a trooper?

thanks.

Comment

• If you go to the new website www.nytrooper.com it explains everything you asked. Very helpful website with great video. Hope that helps you....

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperCand View Post
                            If you go to the new website www.nytrooper.com it explains everything you asked. Very helpful website with great video. Hope that helps you....
                            thanks.

edit: just watched it....great video's, and if nothing else i know to NOT wear my best suit when i show up the first day.....they're probably going to have me rolling down a hill in it or something
                            Last edited by Dr. Peebody; 07-01-2007, 07:40 PM.

Comment

.....they're probably going to have me rolling down a hill in it or something
                              HAHAHAHAHAHA. Suprisingly, we are all wishing that day would come sooner

Comment

• Everything went well for myself as well.

My appointment time was at 7:00am and I was out the door by 9:30am and home by 1:30ish.

Good luck to all those that passed the medical, according to the sheet that they passed out at the end when you were "checking out" those who are being offered a spot in the academy will know with in two weeks.

First person to hear, please let us all know.

Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5924 users online. 180 members and 5744 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X