• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vg3
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2014

Hello everyone,
    Haven't posted on this in forever.
    I'm from the first wave, I was on the backfill list for this last class. There's a good amount of backfills spilling over in the next class.
    Thought id share some information, from very credible sources.
    Due to the New York State budget the next class will start in April.
    Anything is possible and I'm sure rumors are floating around, just thought Id share credible information to all of you.

Comment

• Whitty
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by vg3
      Hello everyone,
      Haven't posted on this in forever.
      I'm from the first wave, I was on the backfill list for this last class. There's a good amount of backfills spilling over in the next class.
      Thought id share some information, from very credible sources.
      Due to the New York State budget the next class will start in April.
      Anything is possible and I'm sure rumors are floating around, just thought Id share credible information to all of you.
      Out of curiosity where did your hear the April date?

Comment

• vg3
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Whitty
        Out of curiosity where did your hear the April date?
        I'll private message you

Comment

• Whitty
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2011

Im crossing my fingers for March. Would like to miss the extreme winter / or extreme heat of summer.

Comment

• jburgos7
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2012

I don't know if mentioned already but is there a definite number so far as to the the potential class size? Also if there is a range of how many candidates are in the current pool for the upcoming academy? I myself am running 3-6 miles and am currently challenging myself with calisthenics's from p90x 2 and insanity.

Comment

• c_ob
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2014

It sounds like you are pretty much ready for the physical fitness part of the academy. I'm actually fine with pushups and sit-ups, but do you have any tips on decreasing my time and increasing my distance? I usually run 2 miles about 3 times a week (I know I need to run a lot more than that-- I have been stuck for time lately). My 1.5 mile time meets graduation requirements but I feel like they will expect a lot more than 70th percentile standards when we are there.

Pumped? You have no idea. I'm feeling all types of emotions thinking about the academy, but overall I am over the moon and consider myself blessed to already be at this stage in the process. I can't believe you're moving from CO. I live in NY, 3 hours from the academy. Don't worry about it. You will figure it out and it will all be worth it. Keep in mind you will probably only have two weeks notice to do all of that, though

Anyway, I'm with you on keeping this thread alive. Any new information is appreciated and helpful.

One last thing--I think that an April start is WAY too far away. From what I am told, they need new troopers ASAP. I would probably bet on a late January, early February start. I suppose they wouldn't have processed us this far in advance if it was an April academy. Who knows?

We shall see.

Originally posted by Whitty
              So that my only post today isn't a downer - is everyone getting pumped for a possible Feb / March Academy? Whats everyone doing to get prepared? Being a cop, former Marine, and a current reserve Airman, I am in "decent" shape - and can pass the NYSP PT test with not much effort. I hit the gym five days a week - running somewhere between 3-5 miles a day - for a total of 15-20 a week. Usually around an 8 minute mile pace - which I probably should speed up - but its comfortable at that speed for longer distances. I run the 1.5 mile in about 10 min flat. If anyone is struggling with pushups and / or situps, id recommend the 100 pushup and 200 situp plans. If you google either phrase you will see what I mean - they both have easy to use online plans to increase each respectively. It has helped drastically increase my pushups and situps - and its a plan that covers something like 8 weeks - so you can still start it and finish it before any potential academy.

I am trying not to get too ahead of myself as I realize the board in Albany can still kill my package, but I am pretty excited to have made it this far. For those not in a law enforcement career - all I can say is it is a blast - and I have heard nothing but the best about NYSP. As a fellow law enforcement officer - they have also treated me with respect through the entire process - unlike other agencies (PSP for example...). Lets keep this thread alive and well - Im tired of seeing that US Marshal thread at the top

Also - you guys who live in NY, PA, or NJ are super lucky. In addition to worrying about whether I even get it - I have to figure out how to "retire" from my current job, move my family from CO to NY, sell a house, transfer Air Force Units, find someone to hold all my "evil" weapons that NY wont let me bring, etc all in a week or two time frame. Consider yourself lucky in that regard...

Comment

• rxgeoff
                Forum Member
                • May 2014

Originally posted by c_ob
                It sounds like you are pretty much ready for the physical fitness part of the academy. I'm actually fine with pushups and sit-ups, but do you have any tips on decreasing my time and increasing my distance? I usually run 2 miles about 3 times a week (I know I need to run a lot more than that-- I have been stuck for time lately). My 1.5 mile time meets graduation requirements but I feel like they will expect a lot more than 70th percentile standards when we are there.

Pumped? You have no idea. I'm feeling all types of emotions thinking about the academy, but overall I am over the moon and consider myself blessed to already be at this stage in the process. I can't believe you're moving from CO. I live in NY, 3 hours from the academy. Don't worry about it. You will figure it out and it will all be worth it. Keep in mind you will probably only have two weeks notice to do all of that, though

Anyway, I'm with you on keeping this thread alive. Any new information is appreciated and helpful.

One last thing--I think that an April start is WAY too far away. From what I am told, they need new troopers ASAP. I would probably bet on a late January, early February start. I suppose they wouldn't have processed us this far in advance if it was an April academy. Who knows?

We shall see.
                Another academy can't start until this class graduates. Their graduation date is February 10th, so it would not be in January or early February.

Comment

• c_ob
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2014

That is not entirely true. I spoke to a few troopers about this and they said that there have been times where there are two classes in the academy at the same time, as long as they have the space & funding available. Do you know how many people are in the academy now? I know they are looking at around 170 for the next class.

Oh -- Feb 11th is early february

Originally posted by rxgeoff
                  Another academy can't start until this class graduates. Their graduation date is February 10th, so it would not be in January or early February.

Comment

• hangloose
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2014

Happy Veteran's Day everyone!

Comment

• c_ob
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2014

I think they are looking at a class of 175.

Originally posted by jburgos7
                      I don't know if mentioned already but is there a definite number so far as to the the potential class size? Also if there is a range of how many candidates are in the current pool for the upcoming academy? I myself am running 3-6 miles and am currently challenging myself with calisthenics's from p90x 2 and insanity.

Comment

• UpNorth3816
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2009

There is not a budget in place for a new class yet so, yeah, April is a good bet since that's when the budget typically gets passed.

Originally posted by c_ob
                        That is not entirely true. I spoke to a few troopers about this and they said that there have been times where there are two classes in the academy at the same time, as long as they have the space & funding available. Do you know how many people are in the academy now? I know they are looking at around 170 for the next class.

Oh -- Feb 11th is early february

Comment

• Hardwork=Success
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2013

What's up fellas? Any rumors in regards to the next wave of processing? What would be a rough estimate? April-May ish or is there a possibility for a processing weekend before that? Thanks for your time

Comment

• Whitty
                            Forum Member
                            • Apr 2011

Hey all. Been away from a couple of days in in-service and gang classes. Ive got nothing as far as future processing goes. I keep hoping to hear some type of confirmation ive successfully made it through the background /psych process. My wife and I were talking and decided that Feb, march, or april academy does not matter to us - would just like to hear we made it sooner rather than later - and then sit in a holding pattern for however long. Just hoping for a little advanced notice...preferably a early Christmas present!( ie. Medical invite)

Comment

• Orion31
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2014

Hey everybody!
                              First time posting, mostly doing a lot of forum reading. My background investigation/poly/psych process are complete and BI said his report is complete. How soon after should I expect to receive a letter regarding medical invite? For example if all BI reports are due back to Albany November 14th what is the time frame that letters will be sent out? How soon after did the last class receive there medical invites once background/poly/psych were completed?

Comment

• hangloose
                                Forum Member
                                • Aug 2014

For everyone that are undergoing to the process, did your investigator let you know that your BI is done? Thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18756 users online. 42 members and 18714 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...