300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    ....stories tend to get a little exaggerated sometimes. I have been at meeting with other FTOC's, some of whom were in my class, where they lament how easy the Academy has become and how hard we had back in the day. I spoke up and said "wait a minute, I was in that class. It didn't happen that way. I was there."

I went through our Academy over 20 years ago, and I was an ATO approximately 10 years ago. And I have been at the Acedemy for this-or-that reason over the years. While teaching methods have changed, it's still rigorous training that's difficult, but not impossible. If you are motivated and not a knucklehead, you'll do just fine.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like Military vets who swore back in the day all Drill Sargeants would slap you around and degrade your mother like Lee Ermy did in Full Metal Jacket.

I know I like to joke around, but my mindset will be completely different prior to entering the academy. Words couldn't express the motivation I have to complete a goal. I also know the academy will change me a bit, but I look forward to it. I've been running and working out since day one in hopes of making the PT go as smooth as possible.

Thanks for the info.
    sigpic
    IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Salary differences...

Does anyone know why certain areas get extra pay in the base salary?

For example: NYC gets an extra $8,500 pr. yr., Long Island an extra $6,500 pr. yr. and Westchester an extra $6,000 pr. yr.

Are these some type of cost of living increases?
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
        Does anyone know why certain areas get extra pay in the base salary?

For example: NYC gets an extra $8,500 pr. yr., Long Island an extra $6,500 pr. yr. and Westchester an extra $6,000 pr. yr.

Are these some type of cost of living increases?
        It's not in your base... it's COLA and not used to calculate OT as far as I know just like lots of other money we get.

But to answer your question, Yes and they aren't paid nearly enough. Get on realtor.com and look for a 2800 sq ft house 3 car garage on 1 acre in Troop B and then look for the same house in Suffolk Co. The guys downstate get hosed but we are far better paid than other state workers down there... check out what DOT guys make... The guys I talked to when I worked the 2004 US Open... guys with 15+ on were making mid 40's... that's rediculous and I don't know how they lived on LI.

The Hamptons are nothing special... I'll take 100 (50/50 wooded and open fields) acres and a house big enough to have a couple of family member visit in the middle of The Adirondak Park.
        Last edited by Trooper4985; 06-20-2007, 03:16 PM.
        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
          It's not in your base... it's COLA and used to calculate OT as far as I know just like lots of other money we get.

But to answer your question, Yes and they aren't paid nearly enough. Get on realtor.com and look for a 2800 sq ft house 3 car garage on 1 acre in Troop B and then look for the same house in Suffolk Co. The guys downstate get hosed but we are far better paid than other state workers down there... check out what DOT guys make... The guys I talked to when I worked the 2004 US Open... guys with 15+ on were making mid 40's... that's rediculous and I don't know how they lived on LI.

The Hamptons are nothing special... I'll take 100 (50/50 wooded and open fields) acres and a house big enough to have a couple of family member visit in the middle of The Adirondak Park.
          Oh, it's combined into COLA. Then, it's not so great I guess. LI & NYC real estate is as outrageous as you can get aside from living in Hawaii. Suffolk County cops make $97k base. A NYST working LI would make around $85,500 a $12.5k difference. With the prices of real estate and property tax in LI you might even struggle at $97k unless your spouse had a good paying job.

I totally agree. Upstate you can live like a king on a NYST salary compared to the downstate areas. Theres not too many jobs upstate where you can make over $80k base, especially in LE.

Thanks for clearing that up.
          sigpic

Comment

• I live on Long Island and it is ridiculous. My wife and I live in a 1 bedroom Apt. and it cost us $1250 a month. plus utilities. Luckily she is a teacher with a great salary. We often look into houses and it is crazy. A 3 bedroom 2 bath, you are looking at 450,000 +. Although the cost of living is absurd, if I am hired by the NYSP, we would like to stay down here if possible. (I here the waiting list for LI is about 3 years) and She is well established in her district, family, and the beach 5 minutes away....

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperCand View Post
              I live on Long Island and it is ridiculous. My wife and I live in a 1 bedroom Apt. and it cost us $1250 a month. plus utilities. Luckily she is a teacher with a great salary. We often look into houses and it is crazy. A 3 bedroom 2 bath, you are looking at 450,000 +. Although the cost of living is absurd, if I am hired by the NYSP, we would like to stay down here if possible. (I here the waiting list for LI is about 3 years) and She is well established in her district, family, and the beach 5 minutes away....
              Troop L is probably a no-go right out of the academy but times are strange right now... Troop E is also usually closed to recruits but there are 4 out of the last class that stayed right in troop... maybe not the stations they wanted but closer than being in another troop. Lower K and F are your best bet for first assignment if you want to stay in LI as a lot of recruits get F and K as first assignments.
              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I live on Long Island and it is ridiculous. My wife and I live in a 1 bedroom Apt. and it cost us $1250 a month. plus utilities. Luckily she is a teacher with a great salary. We often look into houses and it is crazy. A 3 bedroom 2 bath, you are looking at 450,000 +. Although the cost of living is absurd, if I am hired by the NYSP, we would like to stay down here if possible. (I here the waiting list for LI is about 3 years) and She is well established in her district, family, and the beach 5 minutes away....
                Did you take the SCPD test a couple of weeks ago? I think that's the job to have if your gonna stay in the LI area. I took it for the hell of it, but prefer NYSP being I can go upstate away from the city and high costs.

How far are you with the NYSP processing or will you be taking the upcoming test?
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                  Did you take the SCPD test a couple of weeks ago? I think that's the job to have if your gonna stay in the LI area. I took it for the hell of it, but prefer NYSP being I can go upstate away from the city and high costs.

How far are you with the NYSP processing or will you be taking the upcoming test?
                  I did take the SCPD test along with the 30,000 others. I highly doubt I will get anywhere near the top of that list. Even if I got a 100. I am attending the medical next week for the second time. I missed the cutoff for the Jan. class. I have no problem commuting to westchester, putnam, etc. I have a brother in law on the job and he lives at the half way point, so i can just stay there. If I was not married and my wife having a good job, I would go anywhere.

Comment

• GrayPatriot,
                    Thanks for the reply. 3 miles seems to be a good run. I've been incorporating squat thrusts, mountain climbers and any other "motivating" type exercise I can remember into my workout.

Mike

Comment

• Nice short historical article about NYSP in the Syracuse area.

http://www.syracuse.com/articles/new...600.xml&coll=1

Comment

I did take the SCPD test along with the 30,000 others. I highly doubt I will get anywhere near the top of that list. Even if I got a 100. I am attending the medical next week for the second time. I missed the cutoff for the Jan. class. I have no problem commuting to westchester, putnam, etc. I have a brother in law on the job and he lives at the half way point, so i can just stay there. If I was not married and my wife having a good job, I would go anywhere.
                        I hear ya brother.

Good luck with the medical.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by VZMan View Post
                          Nice short historical article about NYSP in the Syracuse area.

http://www.syracuse.com/articles/new...600.xml&coll=1
                          Cool link VZ. There's also a nice historical link on the NYSP website.

It must have been rough back then trying to pull over motor vehicles while horseback on the through way.
                          sigpic

Comment

(I here the waiting list for LI is about 3 years) and She is well established in her district, family, and the beach 5 minutes away....
                            I will have to recheck but someone from my class got there after 8 months in F or K. I have heard the wait has dropped to 1 or 2 classes for L troop. I will check on that.

I do know A troop is still the one with the ~4yr wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYPDTROOPER View Post
                              GrayPatriot,
                              Thanks for the reply. 3 miles seems to be a good run. I've been incorporating squat thrusts, mountain climbers and any other "motivating" type exercise I can remember into my workout.

Mike

I know some unnamed Trooper posted the base morning PT somewhere on these boards... I think it was in this very thread.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                                I know some unnamed Trooper posted the base morning PT somewhere on these boards... I think it was in this very thread.
                                Ahh, telling the PT is giving away secrets Now, telling them... Well I won't even go there

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10410 users online. 507 members and 9903 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X