X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Contributor101623 View Post
    Define good, define bad.
    Double post.
    Last edited by Whitty; 03-31-2014, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Define good, define bad.
      I should preface this with - benefits are decreasing just about everywhere nationwide as states and cities realize they cant afford - or choose not to afford or value their employees as they once did. NYSP seems to have dodged many of these attacks to date - and im wondering if they will continue too.

To the original question:

Is pay going to increase or decrease? Are benefits improving or getting worse? Those kinda things. People love to say "wait until your on the job" before worrying about these things, but my background is a little different. Im leaving another police department, moving 1500 miles, and having to choose between numerous departments out east, so im just trying to do my due diligence. Thanks for the response in advance. Stay safe.
      Last edited by Whitty; 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitty View Post
        I should preface this with - benefits are decreasing just about everywhere nationwide as states and cities realize they cant afford - or choose not to afford or value their employees as they once did. NYSP seems to have dodged many of these attacks to date - and im wondering if they will continue too.

To the original question:

Is pay going to increase or decrease? Are benefits improving or getting worse? Those kinda things. People love to say "wait until your on the job" before worrying about these things, but my background is a little different. Im leaving another police department, moving 1500 miles, and having to choose between numerous departments out east, so im just trying to do my due diligence. Thanks for the response in advance. Stay safe.
        I understand where you're coming from. I did a lot of research before applying too. Pay won't go down but, in my opinion we will get some zeros in the contract, meaning a year or two without any base pay raise. All of the other NY unions had zeros for similar years so it's likely to happen. That being said, the other unions also had increases in their biweekly health insurance premiums so NYSP probably will too.

This doesn't mean that we won't get a raise; we could still get soft money by seeing an increase in expanded duty pay which is exactly what happened for NYSCOPBA. U never know.

All that being said, prior to applying I also made sure I knew how much I'd have to contribute to retirement as well. For instance, CHP pays in 11% of their annual salary to retirement which is a lot. Since u are coming in from out if state u will enter in as a tier 6 in the pension system and at the end of ur career u will be contributing approx 6% of your salary to retirement. Just some extra info. It starts at 3.5-% and increases as ur salary increases. Over 100 k contributes 6% to retirement plan and u won't get that back.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Originally posted by Contributor101623 View Post
          I understand where you're coming from. I did a lot of research before applying too. Pay won't go down but, in my opinion we will get some zeros in the contract, meaning a year or two without any base pay raise. All of the other NY unions had zeros for similar years so it's likely to happen. That being said, the other unions also had increases in their biweekly health insurance premiums so NYSP probably will too.

This doesn't mean that we won't get a raise; we could still get soft money by seeing an increase in expanded duty pay which is exactly what happened for NYSCOPBA. U never know.

All that being said, prior to applying I also made sure I knew how much I'd have to contribute to retirement as well. For instance, CHP pays in 11% of their annual salary to retirement which is a lot. Since u are coming in from out if state u will enter in as a tier 6 in the pension system and at the end of ur career u will be contributing approx 6% of your salary to retirement. Just some extra info. It starts at 3.5-% and increases as ur salary increases. Over 100 k contributes 6% to retirement plan and u won't get that back.
          Last edited by Whitty; 03-31-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
            I have good news for some of you, especially for those on the Sergeant's list, but for those on the hiring list too. There will be one more vacency to fill in the NYSP soon.
            I don't know what truth there is to it, but I've heard it is going to be a big Sergeants list.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
              I don't know what truth there is to it, but I've heard it is going to be a big Sergeants list.
              Big enough to reach you?
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Hey guys im new to this forum but I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me with a quick question that I have. My question is if I scored a 98.3 with a list number of 30xx, how soon do you think it will be before I am called to start the process? I am currently a Junior in college and wont be finishing up my degree until May of 2015 and im nervous that I will get the call prior to that and have to decide between a degree and a dream job. Any help is appreciated guys.

Comment

• U won't get called for June but after that depends on class size, if they run them q6 months etc. other guys here could answer it more accurately. As far as career advice goes, if Nysp is ur dream job then take the job as finish the degree part time. If u may have other ambitions, defer processing, then rescind ur deferment a few months before u are going to graduate. Ur troop recruiter can give u advice in deferment. It's granted on a case by case basis but I can say I deferred once, and turned processing down another time and was placed back on the list after writing a letter to a LT (which is the process). My deferment and change of heart were related to finishing my degree.

Comment

• Good luck to all of you who have heard back! I am happy really happy to see that a lot of veterans are at the top of the list since my brother is a US Marine and I know how much you give up and struggle while you serve the nation. So that being said, yea it sucks for everyone else who didn't get those 5 vet credits but I just wanted to put it out there that many people, including myself, appreciate your service. Hell, you deserve to be at the top! Good luck!!
                    PAPD
                    Tested: 5/18/13
                    Qualified

NYSP
                    Tested: 10/13
                    List: High 15k

Yonkers PD
                    Tested: 11/16/13
                    Eligible

PWCPD
                    Tested: 2/3/14
                    PT: 4/8/14 - Passed
                    Poly: May ?

Baltimore City PD
                    Test: 4/26/14

Comment

• SlowDownThere congrats on the retirement!! I still have a long way to go to even think about retirement but it's gotta feel like you've accomplished so much.

If it's safe to ask, will you continue working in LE after you retire? I have professors who have worked for NYPD or smaller municipalities who later turned to teaching in order to stay active in the LE community. If you don't mind me asking and with all due respect, have you considered continuing or will you just relax and enjoy life?
                      PAPD
                      Tested: 5/18/13
                      Qualified

NYSP
                      Tested: 10/13
                      List: High 15k

Yonkers PD
                      Tested: 11/16/13
                      Eligible

PWCPD
                      Tested: 2/3/14
                      PT: 4/8/14 - Passed
                      Poly: May ?

Baltimore City PD
                      Test: 4/26/14

Comment

U won't get called for June but after that depends on class size, if they run them q6 months etc. other guys here could answer it more accurately. As far as career advice goes, if Nysp is ur dream job then take the job as finish the degree part time. If u may have other ambitions, defer processing, then rescind ur deferment a few months before u are going to graduate. Ur troop recruiter can give u advice in deferment. It's granted on a case by case basis but I can say I deferred once, and turned processing down another time and was placed back on the list after writing a letter to a LT (which is the process). My deferment and change of heart were related to finishing my degree.
                        Thanks for the information brotha. I didnt even know that deferment was an option. I will definitely give my local recruiter a call and pick his brain about the process. Unfortunately I go to a school far away from the State of New York and wouldnt be able to finish up part time, so if I am going to be placed in any academy class before May of 2015 deferment is going to have to be the move. Thanks again for the help

Comment

• Originally posted by Nassauwarrior516 View Post
                          Thanks for the information brotha. I didnt even know that deferment was an option. I will definitely give my local recruiter a call and pick his brain about the process. Unfortunately I go to a school far away from the State of New York and wouldnt be able to finish up part time, so if I am going to be placed in any academy class before May of 2015 deferment is going to have to be the move. Thanks again for the help
                          There was a time when a deferment could have really hurt you. Can you imagine defering for what you think is one class (6 months) then the state goes on a 3 or 4 year hiring freeze? I don't anticipate that anytime soon, but keep in mind, it is a possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Be successful View Post
                            SlowDownThere congrats on the retirement!! I still have a long way to go to even think about retirement but it's gotta feel like you've accomplished so much.

If it's safe to ask, will you continue working in LE after you retire? I have professors who have worked for NYPD or smaller municipalities who later turned to teaching in order to stay active in the LE community. If you don't mind me asking and with all due respect, have you considered continuing or will you just relax and enjoy life?
                            Thank you. While I have no specific plans for a job, I intend to stay active at something.

Comment

• 10characters
                              Last edited by boredlimodriver; 06-23-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boredlimodriver View Post
                                I'd take the job. You can always get your degree later.

I passed up a chance with my local corrections 8 years ago. Now they are in a hiring/pay freeze and a 4-5 year hiring backlog.

Just my 2 cents.
                                Good advice, I chose to accept becoming a NY State Trooper instead of finishing my school. It was an easy choice for me!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8504 users online. 401 members and 8103 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X