Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are having issues with sit ups, you can use your quads to do them faster. Make sure that anyone holding your feet knows to be ready, but make sure you can pass situps and run. It may seem obvious to some, but breath out when you come up and back in when you go down, a similar rhythm can help with pushups. When you go down, use gravity, not as much with your muscles and bounce off the mat and back up. Remember, in a minute, it's a sprint, not a marathon. Get them out as quickly as you can and try to run the clock all the way to one minute. Once you hit your minute, do 5-10 more while you are training.
    Obligatory test records

NYSP 90-21xxx
    Tonawanda Police
    Erie County Sheriff
    Erie County Police

Comment

• Originally posted by kwol View Post
      If you are having issues with sit ups, you can use your quads to do them faster. Make sure that anyone holding your feet knows to be ready, but make sure you can pass situps and run. It may seem obvious to some, but breath out when you come up and back in when you go down, a similar rhythm can help with pushups. When you go down, use gravity, not as much with your muscles and bounce off the mat and back up. Remember, in a minute, it's a sprint, not a marathon. Get them out as quickly as you can and try to run the clock all the way to one minute. Once you hit your minute, do 5-10 more while you are training.
      Actually best way to train your abs is in sets. That way you can see definite progress. Do as many as you can and then cut that by half, and then try to accomplish 3 sets of that.
      Last edited by Striker Eureka; 02-20-2014, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 14recruit10 View Post
        A different topic than what scores everybody got. Are there any MOS that can comment on the work/family balance? The schedule on the Recruit website seems pretty nice, but does it always work out that way (60/24 work weeks)? Also what is the schedule like for a Sgt./Lt and BCI? Thanks.
        Generally, Troopers work 12 hour shift, Sergeants work 10 hour shifts, and Investigators work 8 hour shifts. There are exceptions, as some Troopers and Sergeants work 8 hour shifts.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• @UpNorth

Appreciate the info. I passed USMC swim call in boot camp but I must say it was slow torture lol. If it's anything close to that I'll have to start swimming hardcore again to get up to standard.
          Last edited by NYNicks; 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM.
          NYPD exam 1320
          List #5xx

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
            Not quite. It wasn't hard if you were a semi-competent swimmer, but there were recruits in remedial swimming. For several weeks if I remember correctly.

"Will the Academy Swim Team please report to the loading dock?"

I laugh my *** off every time I think about that announcement.

Comment

• Anyone know how many people passed the exam and are eligible?

Comment

• I ranked in the low 2000s so I am trying to make sure that I am prepared for the physical test asap. I have always been an athlete and I feel confident in the situps and 1.5 mile run. However, I really struggle doing pushups. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train for pushups?

Comment

• For those of you who are having trouble with the situps-
                  another reason you may have trouble is because your lower back is not flexible. If you feel that your lower back locks up during the situps then that is most likely the case. Make sure to stretch your lower back daily and work on your lower core.. they both compliment each other. When your back hurts, your lower core holds the weight.. and vice versa. Also, stretching your hips can help that as well. It will loosen up your lower back.

Comment

• Do deadlifts. I am srs.

Comment

• Originally posted by krower89 View Post
                      I ranked in the low 2000s so I am trying to make sure that I am prepared for the physical test asap. I have always been an athlete and I feel confident in the situps and 1.5 mile run. However, I really struggle doing pushups. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train for pushups?
                      Are you using the proper form with your feet locked down under something? Do pushups and situps twice a day. Do as many reps as you can do, rest, then do half that, rest, repeat, until you hit as low as ten reps.

When I had to prepare for a physical last year I did cardio along with a total of 60 pushups and 60 situps twice a day and got myself from not being able to pass to passing in just over a month. I kept up after that and am now at a point that I can maintain it without doing the exercises every day and could pass the 70% (not that I need to lol)

Comment

• Originally posted by NYTPRF View Post
                        "Will the Academy Swim Team please report to the loading dock?"

I laugh my *** off every time I think about that announcement.
                        That was probably the funniest thing to happen during our class. Much funnier than a contraband police badge or a set of recruit 1st Sgt stripes.
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• So I ranked in the mid 600's with my vet pref. points. I missed 1 question on the exam and still have over 600 people ahead of me.....that's competitive. My intent was to post a question regarding the necessity of using my preference points now. The idea was that if successful in being selected with out using them now, I could save my pref. points for a future advancement opportunity....but looking at the scores and competitive results posted here I don't think that is a viable option. Hmmm....

Comment

• How did you get a breakdown of what questions you missed?

Comment

• Could someone please give me the basic run down for NYSP processing. What time frame are we looking at, and does it follow similar path as NYPD?

Comment

• Originally posted by Striker Eureka View Post
                                Could someone please give me the basic run down for NYSP processing. What time frame are we looking at, and does it follow similar path as NYPD?
                                Timetables are anything but definite, unless you have that letter in your hand about 2 weeks from the date you need to report to academy telling you the date/time you need to report. Wish I had a better answer, but it is what it is.

Edit, rundown is shown here http://nytrooper.com/selection_process.cfm
                                Last edited by kwol; 02-24-2014, 08:35 PM.
                                Obligatory test records

NYSP 90-21xxx
                                Tonawanda Police
                                Erie County Sheriff
                                Erie County Police

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6810 users online. 386 members and 6424 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X