300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NYNicks View Post
    Short of calling a recruiter is their a swim qual in this academy? I'm just an average swimmer so would'nt mind some input. I scored in 25**
    NYSP doesn't have a swimming qual, I think only Alaska has that.

Upon further googling NYSP has the SCUBA thing, but thats for Troopers who are interested in joining that program, not recruits seeking to join NYSP
    http://www.troopers.ny.gov/Academy/SCUBA/
    Last edited by Striker Eureka; 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM. Reason: googling and stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Striker Eureka View Post

Upon further googling NYSP has the SCUBA thing, but thats for Troopers who are interested in joining that program, not recruits seeking to join NYSP
      PA State has an academy swim qual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitty View Post
        PA State has an academy swim qual.
        For a semi landlocked state, thats kind of funny.

Comment

• Actually my class did swim. They want to make sure everyone has the basic skills to keep themselves alive should a situation arise where you find yourself in water or assisting someone in or around water. And yes, if they aren't comfortable with your swimming ability they will invite you back to the pool a couple of times for remedial instruction. Just don't be surprised when they tell you that you're going to the pool!

Originally posted by Striker Eureka View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by UpNorth3816 View Post
            Actually my class did swim. They want to make sure everyone has the basic skills to keep themselves alive should a situation arise where you find yourself in water or assisting someone in or around water. And yes, if they aren't comfortable with your swimming ability they will invite you back to the pool a couple of times for remedial instruction. Just don't be surprised when they tell you that you're going to the pool!
            So as long as you can doggy paddle you're good right?

Comment

For a semi landlocked state, thats kind of funny.
              Rivers and lakes I guess

Comment

So as long as you can doggy paddle you're good right?
                Not quite. It wasn't hard if you were a semi-competent swimmer, but there were recruits in remedial swimming. For several weeks if I remember correctly.
                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  Not quite. It wasn't hard if you were a semi-competent swimmer, but there were recruits in remedial swimming. For several weeks if I remember correctly.
                  I was joking reils49 My swimming ability is good enough to save me, I can breast stroke but thats about it, I never learned how to stay afloat in a single spot by kicking my legs.

Comment

• If you fail the PAT are you done or are you invited back for a retry? I've passed many physicals but I know quite a few "pudgy" people who scored well enough on this exam to be called for one of the first few classes. The 50 percentile standards aren't bad but I could see the 70 percentile standards tripping people up.

Comment

• Originally posted by jim07c View Post
                      If you fail the PAT are you done or are you invited back for a retry? I've passed many physicals but I know quite a few "pudgy" people who scored well enough on this exam to be called for one of the first few classes. The 50 percentile standards aren't bad but I could see the 70 percentile standards tripping people up.
                      I believe you can only do it once, with sit ups you can rest and finish your reps only if its within 1 min. With push ups there is no time limit, so you can rest and knock them out. Been working out lately trying to bring down my 1.5 run down to 10mins, right now I am somewhere around 11mins. With push ups its a lot easier, trying to work myself up to 100 in a row. Sit ups are killing me right now, can only do about 30 in a row.
                      Last edited by Striker Eureka; 02-20-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Yea, 33-40 pushups and the 1.5 run aren't bad but 40-45 situps isn't a walk in the park.

Comment

Yea, 33-40 pushups and the 1.5 run aren't bad but 40-45 situps isn't a walk in the park.
                          My hope is to be processed for the second class, even with my crappy 7k rank. I want to be in top tip shape by them. Can't wait for it to get warmer and less slipper so I can jog outside again.

Comment

• I'm in the 1500's so I imagine I'll be processed for the first class. Time to start working on those situps again!

Comment

I'm in the 1500's so I imagine I'll be processed for the first class. Time to start working on those situps again!
                              Good luck man!

Comment

• Jim, I'm on the same boat. List number is in the 1600s. I just realized this week how weak I am doing sit ups. Tried it out this week for the first time in months and was only able to get around 20-25 in a minute. Meanwhile the push-ups is cake and could run a mile and a half in under 10 min. I just don't get it!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12220 users online. 414 members and 11806 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X