300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 Test

What would you possibly have to lose by signing up for the '08 test; yesterday...

Comment

• Originally posted by VZMan View Post

Does your signup date play any role in the ranking process if you were to score the same as some others?

No. I am thinking those who already processed and completed the medical last time will make up the vast majority of this upcoming class in August. If you are not called for that class then why take a chance.

Do as your recruiter advised...

Comment

• Thanks for the responses…….I had planned on signing up for the ’08 test anyways. I don’t think the $20 exam fee will break the bank. Guess I was just curious about weather the signup date played a role or not. The company I work for now takes into account when individuals took their entrance exams if two people are hired on the same date.

I was just watching a news clip about the recruiting drive and they stated that 1/3 of the current NYSP employees will become eligible for retirement in the next 2 years. That seems like a huge amount of individuals to be able to walk out the door in a short timeframe! Obviously there was a mass hiring 18-20 years ago. Hopefully that will affect the size of the next two classes and I won’t have to worry about taking the ’08 exam. Keeping my fingers crossed on that but if I have to retake the exam, hopefully I will score A LOT better now that I have one civil service type exam under my belt.

Comment

• med invite

Ok, I figure this is my last weekend that I still have a chance of getting a medical invite. Maybe if I have a nice fresh hot cup of coffee waiting for the mailman he'll find that yellow envelope that slipped under his seat a few weeks ago. It's worth a shot.

Comment

• Good luck willeck, I wish I was waiting for that letter. I want the 08 test to be here already....

Comment

• For those interested...
              The latest information is that 278 applicants have been invited to the medical evaluation on June 30th. Obviously some of us won't be making this class of 150.

The last physical agility test given, which was last month I believe, was the last one from the 2004 list. Those who began the process last month coupled with those of us who don't make the August class will make up the final pool of applicants for last class from the 2004 list. It's obviously WAY WAY too soon to have any idea what that final class size will be.

Just thought I'd share my recent findings. Good luck to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by VZMan View Post
                Guess I was just curious about weather the signup date played a role or not.
                No... Everyone who start the academy on the same day has the same EOD but your score on the CS test is the one that counts for estabilshing seniority out of everybody who started on the same day. Some of the people in my class had the wild idea that academy performance is what established seniority. The only thing how fast you run has to do with is your FTO and first duty assignment... transfers, vacation picks, post/car assignement etc are all based on your CS score compared to everyone else with the same EOD or Adj EOD but you don't have to worry about adjusted EODs just yet

Originally posted by VZMan View Post
                I was just watching a news clip about the recruiting drive and they stated that 1/3 of the current NYSP employees will become eligible for retirement in the next 2 years. That seems like a huge amount of individuals to be able to walk out the door in a short timeframe! Obviously there was a mass hiring 18-20 years ago. Hopefully that will affect the size of the next two classes and I won’t have to worry about taking the ’08 exam. Keeping my fingers crossed on that but if I have to retake the exam, hopefully I will score A LOT better now that I have one civil service type exam under my belt.
                I doubt it... Albany will cry poverty and say we can't afford to hire more road Troopers at a faster rate no matter how many guys retire. Plus the academy is only so big. I know in my class, PT was rediculously cramped and the class that graduated late last year was even bigger than mine, graduating about 220. We tried getting the DROP retirement option and Albany shot it down saying it would cost the state undue financial hardship. It would keep some experienced guys around a little longer and lessen the blow of having a vast majority of our experience walk out the door at the same time.
                Last edited by Trooper4985; 06-15-2007, 08:27 AM.
                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• "The latest information is that 278 applicants have been invited to the medical evaluation on June 30th."

That's good info mleggio, thanks. So provided everyone passes their medical, they will choose the positions based on rank number. Which leaves the bottom 128 people waiting for the next class...
                  Last edited by phoenix23; 06-15-2007, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                    No... Everyone who start the academy on the same day has the same EOD but your score on the CS test is the one that counts for estabilshing seniority out of everybody who started on the same day. Some of the people in my class had the wild idea that academy performance is what established seniority. The only thing how fast you run has to do with is your FTO and first duty assignment... transfers, vacation picks, post/car assignement etc are all based on your CS score compared to everyone else with the same EOD or Adj EOD but you don't have to worry about adjusted EODs just yet

Thank you for the further clarification.

I doubt it... Albany will cry poverty and say we can't afford to hire more road Troopers at a faster rate no matter how many guys retire. Plus the academy is only so big. I know in my class, PT was rediculously cramped and the class that graduated late last year was even bigger than mine, graduating about 220. We tried getting the DROP retirement option and Albany shot it down saying it would cost the state undue financial hardship. It would keep some experienced guys around a little longer and lessen the blow of having a vast majority of our experience walk out the door at the same time.
                    Losing experienced individuals is a major problem at my current job. Although technology is changing on a daily basis, we still need to have the ability and knowledge to work on things that have been around for a looooong time. It’s amazing to me the amount of knowledge and skill that the company allows to walk out the door without ever providing the opportunities for it to be passed on to the next generation. They are too concerned with playing the # game which in turn only comes back to bite them in the arse in the long run. It’s the old “do more with less philosophy.”

Comment

• Originally posted by mleggio View Post
                      For those interested...
                      The latest information is that 278 applicants have been invited to the medical evaluation on June 30th. Obviously some of us won't be making this class of 150.

The last physical agility test given, which was last month I believe, was the last one from the 2004 list. Those who began the process last month coupled with those of us who don't make the August class will make up the final pool of applicants for last class from the 2004 list. It's obviously WAY WAY too soon to have any idea what that final class size will be.

Just thought I'd share my recent findings. Good luck to all.
                      Thanks for the info. Very informative and I know myself and a few others on here are hoping for a very large spring class.

Comment

• please clarify for me:

theres a class in august, and then one more academy class coming from the 2004 test? or august class is the final class?

thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                          please clarify for me:

theres a class in august, and then one more academy class coming from the 2004 test? or august class is the final class?

thanks.
                          I believe there will be one more class after the August class from the 2004 test. Probably winter or spring of 2008.

This cannot be taken to the bank. The powers that be could easily decide to wait until the next test is scored so that they can hire off the top of the list. Or their could be budgetary problems that delay hiring all together.
                          Last edited by SlowDownThere; 06-15-2007, 02:02 PM.
                          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• [QUOTE=SlowDownThere;901231]I believe there will be one more class after the August class from the 2004 test. Probably winter or spring of 2008.

This cannot be taken to the bank. The powers that be could easily decide to wait until the next test is scored so that they can hire off the top of the list. Or their could be budgetary problems that delay hiring all together.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I signed up for the '08 test..............

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that some of the earlier classes from the current list had at least a few people in them from the prior list mixed in with people from the current list. So, it could work that they take people from the new list and include everyone from the old one that has already fully processed, except for the medical.

Comment

• I was told by several recruiters that once you have processed up to the Medical, you will not be passed up and will continue to the next available class regardless of list expiration. This policy is supposedly due to the time and money spent to process people. I guess this is why they process a certain amount of people at a time.
                                sigpic
                                IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8758 users online. 424 members and 8334 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X