Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know about what to expect as far as the new test? (apart from the obvious posted on the NYSP site) I have heard this will be tougher than the previous exam and am questioning whether a multiple session $300 review class is worth it?

Less than a month to test day!

Thanks for the input

Comment

• Originally posted by e82///m View Post
      Does anyone know about what to expect as far as the new test? (apart from the obvious posted on the NYSP site) I have heard this will be tougher than the previous exam and am questioning whether a multiple session $300 review class is worth it?

Less than a month to test day!

Thanks for the input
      e82, how do you plan to prepare for this exam? Besides using the handbook they provided after registration, have you purchased any other books? What would the review session include prep on?

I purchased an examination book which includes some topics that the NYSP handbook has but also includes others which the NYSP handbook does not mention at all such as math, grammar, and spelling; each as a separate section. The book now is 50% useless according to the topics on the handout. I don't want to go into the exam blind, as obviously no one does, so what makes you believe this exam would be much more difficult than past exams?

Thanks.
      NYSP
      Oct 19, 2013
      Score: 96.XX

Comment

• Originally posted by CPA SA APP View Post
        e82, how do you plan to prepare for this exam? Besides using the handbook they provided after registration, have you purchased any other books? What would the review session include prep on?

I purchased an examination book which includes some topics that the NYSP handbook has but also includes others which the NYSP handbook does not mention at all such as math, grammar, and spelling; each as a separate section. The book now is 50% useless according to the topics on the handout. I don't want to go into the exam blind, as obviously no one does, so what makes you believe this exam would be much more difficult than past exams?

Thanks.
        I havent taken a NYSP exam before so I am just going off of what I have read around here etc. Do you mind if I ask what you've spent on books so far?

As far as the review class it's three, three hour sessions going over basically everything "Mathematics (as relates to exam), Writing Ability & Comprehension Questions, Personality Inventory Review, Problem Solving Abilities & Skills, Verbal Comprehension & Definitions, Learning & Applying Information, Understanding Written Material, Reading Comprehension, Observation and Recall Skills Prep, Life Experiences and Preferences, Information on Physical, Medical, Psychological, Oral Interview, Background Check, Test Taking Techniques & Memory Magic, Study Booklet & Exams at each Session, Attention to Details & Key Words and final last minute prep check list before exam date."

I took a single "cram session" class with the same company prior to last Decembers Nassau County exam and felt very well prepped prior to and during the exam. After that I probably wouldn't take another class for regular LEO exams however this one (as previously mentioned) seems somewhat more challenging. I know the math isn't that hard. It's more important to be sure to review the basis as lets be hones't, the odds are quite good many of us have not had a consistent need to keep long division fresh in our minds over the years lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by e82///m View Post
          I havent taken a NYSP exam before so I am just going off of what I have read around here etc. Do you mind if I ask what you've spent on books so far?

As far as the review class it's three, three hour sessions going over basically everything "Mathematics (as relates to exam), Writing Ability & Comprehension Questions, Personality Inventory Review, Problem Solving Abilities & Skills, Verbal Comprehension & Definitions, Learning & Applying Information, Understanding Written Material, Reading Comprehension, Observation and Recall Skills Prep, Life Experiences and Preferences, Information on Physical, Medical, Psychological, Oral Interview, Background Check, Test Taking Techniques & Memory Magic, Study Booklet & Exams at each Session, Attention to Details & Key Words and final last minute prep check list before exam date."

I took a single "cram session" class with the same company prior to last Decembers Nassau County exam and felt very well prepped prior to and during the exam. After that I probably wouldn't take another class for regular LEO exams however this one (as previously mentioned) seems somewhat more challenging. I know the math isn't that hard. It's more important to be sure to review the basis as lets be hones't, the odds are quite good many of us have not had a consistent need to keep long division fresh in our minds over the years lol.
          Thanks for the info.

I spent $15 dollars on it; I cant post the link but if you search "State Trooper Exam, Second Edition", that's the book, if you go to Amazons website, you can look at the contents of the book. It has I think 5-6 100 question exams. It includes many of the actual test subjects you mentioned above. However, my concern is that the info on the NYSP site and handouts do not have any mathematics on them and yet the book has math and you mentioned "Mathematics (as it relates to the exam"...is there math on this NYSP exam?

Oh okay, lol yea been using calculators so all that math would def take some refreshing before going into the exam.
          NYSP
          Oct 19, 2013

Comment

• Well, I went to the tutorial class that the state is giving and we went over the ability section of the exam. It all seemed pretty easy to me and I saw no math section on the exam.

Have you looked over the exam study guide that they give you when you apply?

Comment

• Originally posted by my93rx7tt View Post
              Well, I went to the tutorial class that the state is giving and we went over the ability section of the exam. It all seemed pretty easy to me and I saw no math section on the exam.

Have you looked over the exam study guide that they give you when you apply?
              I was planning on attending one but I work in the city and it would be very difficult for me to make it to the review. Was it worth attending?

Yes I did review the study guide they provided as well as the other materials online. I saw no math on either guide they provided. There was only 6 topics in there handout, no math. That's why I was asking that question to e82 after his post.

How do you plan on preparing for this? Just using there study guides? Did they suggest any other ways of preparing other than the study guide at the course? Thanks.
              NYSP
              Oct 19, 2013

Comment

• The tutorial goes over the handout that is provided on the trooper website. If you have some free time, and the class is available to you in your area, sign up. I really don't plan on doing too much study wise. Going to read over the provided guide one more time and take the practice exam that is on website(12 questions, I believe). I don't think there is much to study for, all seems rather easy. Familiarize yourself with the 6 different types of questions on the ability portion. This will give you an idea what to expect on test day.

I guess if you were to study more, I would suggest freshening up on your reading comprehension. You know, the questions that require 1-2 pages of reading to answer 1-2 questions.

Comment

• Okay. Thanks. I didn't think there was much to do to prepare. It's not like a school exam. I actually just printed out the 12 question practice exam from the site. I will attempt to make a review class but will be difficult with work. Sounds good though. Thanks for the input. When are you taking your exam? I have mine on the 19th.
                  NYSP
                  Oct 19, 2013

Comment

• It's amazing how life is. I just finished the processing weekend at Albany for NYST. From 2000 people invited for the processing, only 589 showed up Saturday and today only 200 people were present for the psychological and drug screening. And I see how people is so interested in getting good grades in this test

Comment

• Originally posted by F_S View Post
                      It's amazing how life is. I just finished the processing weekend at Albany for NYST. From 2000 people invited for the processing, only 589 showed up Saturday and today only 200 people were present for the psychological and drug screening. And I see how people is so interested in getting good grades in this test
                      Good!!

Sounds typical. Not everybody has it n them to see things through. It takes a lot to have that feeling of "this is truly what I want to do for the rest of my life"....

Stay the course!!

Comment

• Originally posted by F_S View Post
                        It's amazing how life is. I just finished the processing weekend at Albany for NYST. From 2000 people invited for the processing, only 589 showed up Saturday and today only 200 people were present for the psychological and drug screening. And I see how people is so interested in getting good grades in this test
                        WOW! That's pretty amazing. Although 1/10 people make it to the academy, they process a lot of people. They're very picky and know what they want. Still awesome, I'm hoping to score a 90+ or get in the top 5000 so I know i'll get canvassed by them. Good Luck to you sir!

Comment

• Originally posted by PoliceSeeker View Post
                          WOW! That's pretty amazing. Although 1/10 people make it to the academy, they process a lot of people. They're very picky and know what they want. Still awesome, I'm hoping to score a 90+ or get in the top 5000 so I know i'll get canvassed by them. Good Luck to you sir!
                          Scoring a 90+ sounds like a good idea lol how do you plan to prepare?
                          NYSP
                          Oct 19, 2013

Comment

• I heard that too. To be honest with you. I, just by passing the PT, felt like a winner. I am not a military or law enforcement person type with physical strength. So when I passed the running part I didn't believe it. The proccessing officers were nice and communicative. They answer any concern with respect of a trooper's job. And they show willing that everybody go to the academy. Even when one of the officers ask me where I work and what I do, he said: This job is better, we are family.

Comment

• Originally posted by PoliceSeeker View Post
                              I heard that too. To be honest with you. I, just by passing the PT, felt like a winner. I am not a military or law enforcement person type with physical strength. So when I passed the running part I didn't believe it. The proccessing officers were nice and communicative. They answer any concern with respect of a trooper's job. And they show willing that everybody go to the academy. Even when one of the officers ask me where I work and what I do, he said: This job is better, we are family.

Comment

• F S, can you please offer any insight as to how you prepared for the initial exam? I trying to come up with a plan to perform well but am not sure exactly what to do besides the packet we received after registration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
                                NYSP
                                Oct 19, 2013

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4123 users online. 193 members and 3930 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X