Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I got an email notice about the SP exam way back when reaching me, I actually completely forgot about that test. I tried the PT test and got like 13:30 on the run (12:08 needed my age) 22 push up (33) and 30 sit-ups in a minute (39). Very excited to give it a shot. My question though is about the details/promotions and such in State Police and how applying for those works? Is it another civil service exam? I do regulatory investigations with a regular NYS agency right now and really enjoy this type of work, and would be really interested in being a BCI, for example. Is it a realistic goal or do you really need exceptional talent/luck/supportive supervisors and so on?

Comment

• Originally posted by martin.duffy2007 View Post
      Hi I got an email notice about the SP exam way back when reaching me, I actually completely forgot about that test. I tried the PT test and got like 13:30 on the run (12:08 needed my age) 22 push up (33) and 30 sit-ups in a minute (39). Very excited to give it a shot. My question though is about the details/promotions and such in State Police and how applying for those works? Is it another civil service exam? I do regulatory investigations with a regular NYS agency right now and really enjoy this type of work, and would be really interested in being a BCI, for example. Is it a realistic goal or do you really need exceptional talent/luck/supportive supervisors and so on?
      Of course it is a realistic goal. A promotional list comes out a couple of times a year, and Troopers regularly get promoted to Investigators. There is not test for the BCI, but it is competitive. You have to demonstrate to your supervisors that you are capable. There are written exams for Sgt. and Lt., but not Inv.
      Last edited by SlowDownThere; 08-09-2013, 05:24 PM.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• In regards to the tattoo policy, I have one on my inner bicep that doesn't extend below my elbow. I heard the department looks at tattoos on a case by case basis but I was hoping a current trooper could elaborate as to if I would have to get some of it removed or not based on what I said. All info will help, thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyBots9180 View Post
          In regards to the tattoo policy, I have one on my inner bicep that doesn't extend below my elbow. I heard the department looks at tattoos on a case by case basis but I was hoping a current trooper could elaborate as to if I would have to get some of it removed or not based on what I said. All info will help, thanks again.
          If it extends pass where a normal t-shirt would be, then yes. You can not have any part of the tattoo visible while on duty, so if you can't cover it with a t-shirt even when bending,stretching etc. You have to take that thing off.

Comment

• Hello All,

I processed in March and did my psyche a couple weeks after. I missed the June class but an investigator got in touch with me in late June to start my background investigation. I did the poly and he completed my investigation like 2 weeks ago. He said everything went good and my file was sent to Albany. He said the next thing is to wait to hopefully get a letter for the final medical. Im guessing that wont be till after the September processing. Anyway I was just wondering what the final medical consists of? I know its usually on a weekend in Albany but I was wondering what goes on there?

Thanks

Comment

• The tattoo policy is on the website (linked below).

http://www.nytrooper.com/tattoo_policy.cfm

Originally posted by JoeyBots9180 View Post
              In regards to the tattoo policy, I have one on my inner bicep that doesn't extend below my elbow. I heard the department looks at tattoos on a case by case basis but I was hoping a current trooper could elaborate as to if I would have to get some of it removed or not based on what I said. All info will help, thanks again.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Whats up everyone, Im signed up for the NYSP test this fall and I keep hearing that there is math on it. I read over the entire study guide and noticed that there werent really any sections involving math. Can anyone comment about how the math is factored in to the exam?

Comment

• Hey guys, quick question, does anyone know the usual call back time to start applicant processing after you received your score?

I read somewhere it can take up to 3 years to begin the processing (if you score is good enough). Any troopers or those of you currently going through the process can inform me?

Thanks!

Comment

• Does anyone know if they still do the modified physical at the final medical? Besides the dr checking you out is their anything else that is done that day? Thanks
                    Originally posted by Charlie6017 View Post
                    Hello All,

I processed in March and did my psyche a couple weeks after. I missed the June class but an investigator got in touch with me in late June to start my background investigation. I did the poly and he completed my investigation like 2 weeks ago. He said everything went good and my file was sent to Albany. He said the next thing is to wait to hopefully get a letter for the final medical. Im guessing that wont be till after the September processing. Anyway I was just wondering what the final medical consists of? I know its usually on a weekend in Albany but I was wondering what goes on there?

Thanks

Comment

• Hey everyone, I will be taking the NYSP exam in October. Already in the FBI hiring process but with the sequester, who knows how long it will take. Can anyone offer some insight on how they studied, or plan to study for the NYSP exam besides the booklet you receive upon registration?

Good luck to everyone.
                      NYSP
                      Oct 19, 2013
                      Score: 96.XX

Comment

• Been lurking here, since a Google search lead me here. I'm signed up for the exam and you guys have some awesome info, Lasik is cheaper in Canada WOOT. I have always had LE in the back of my mind and recently decided to start focusing on my Army PT more. Heard the ad on the radio, checked the requirements and I squeak by in age (30 in October), not too happy in my current job, and figured it was all telling me something.

I know you can't say what IT is, if you get caught for speeding to academy, but did anyone experience/see someone else experience IT?

I know I may be getting too far ahead of myself, but for stationing, I'm alright with a long commute. I'm between Niagara Falls and Buffalo. What are the chances I can be 2 hours or less from home? 3 hours? Would I be likely to be forced into over 3 hours? Obviously, the closer, the better, but I could always stay overnight at a motel/hotel 4 sleeps every 2 weeks.
                        Obligatory test records

NYSP 90-21xxx
                        Tonawanda Police
                        Erie County Sheriff
                        Erie County Police

Comment

• I live in buffalo.. I started in Massena...6 hr drive

Comment

• Question for someone on the job: I understand you can be stationed anywhere off the bat based upon the needs of the NYSP. With this being said - how often is it expected that one might move after you settle into an area, buy a house, etc. Do many guys stay in a troop or neighboring troop for a career, or are there more forced moves like the feds? And upon making rank or becoming an investigator do you get moved?

Thanks in advance,

Whit

Comment

• Not on the job, but I've read all posts in this thread. Your "permanent" troop/station is pretty much permanent, unless you request a transfer and get it. You can always be moved, but not likely. Looks like mostly senior people move to be closer to home. Rank promotions are a statewide list that pretty much sets you back to where rookies go, with a longer road to get to a more desirable area. If you are already in an "undesirable" area, less chance to have to move if promoted.
                              Last edited by kwol; 09-06-2013, 02:23 PM.
                              Obligatory test records

NYSP 90-21xxx
                              Tonawanda Police
                              Erie County Sheriff
                              Erie County Police

Comment

• Kwol - thanks for the response. Ive read most of this too and had gathered as much, but my wife has been bugging me to ask since she is ready to "settle down." (Moved being military and a cop where im at now...) Figured id just see if anyone else had any insight. Thanks again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12646 users online. 478 members and 12168 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X