Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks reils49. Where I work now all the new guys get the interstate. It usually takes 3 to 5 years to transfer out.
    Den sterkeste mann i verden er han som star mest alene.

Comment

• Trooper Brownie,
      Would you say you are content with your decision to work for NYSP? If you dont mind sharing how long have you been a trooper and where have you been placed so far?

Originally posted by TprBrownie View Post
      If this is the first correspondence you've had since you took the written exam then the first step is PT testing. I'm sure they'll send you some additional information with when/where to be and what you'll be doing.

1)Tough to say...things have been moving along nicely with classes moving through but guys are still processing off the 2008 exam. Could be a long wait if things go south with the budget again.

2)You report to the academy Sunday nights and stay until Friday night. You're up for PT at 6 AM (sometimes earlier ) and could go as late as 10 PM.

3)Everyone gets to put in a list of their top 3 Troop choices, regardless of where you stand in the class. There are no guarantees.

4)Tough to say right now. I've heard from a boss that all of the guys currently on FTO (in K at least) will be shipped to other Troops upon completing FTO. I have also heard that the desire of the Superintendent was to keep everybody in the Troop you train in. There is no solid answer for your question.

5)Where ever home is. I wouldn't say there are Troops that are more desired than another, naturally we all just want to work relatively close to home.

I can't really help with the NYPD questions. I processed with the NYPD however the State ended up offering me a spot before NYPD did, so I went that route.
      PAPD
      Tested: 5/18/13
      Qualified

NYSP
      Tested: 10/13
      List: High 15k

Yonkers PD
      Tested: 11/16/13
      Eligible

PWCPD
      Tested: 2/3/14
      PT: 4/8/14 - Passed
      Poly: May ?

Baltimore City PD
      Test: 4/26/14

Comment

• Originally posted by Be successful View Post
        Trooper Brownie,
        Would you say you are content with your decision to work for NYSP? If you dont mind sharing how long have you been a trooper and where have you been placed so far?
        I would definitely say I'm content. My only real gripe is the commute, but that will change all in due time. My class is coming up to 5 years in a few months. So far I have worked at a few stations in lower K.

Comment

• Originally posted by TprBrownie View Post
          I would definitely say I'm content. My only real gripe is the commute, but that will change all in due time. My class is coming up to 5 years in a few months. So far I have worked at a few stations in lower K.
          I live in the K area! Do you mean Westchester? I live in the Dutchess area!! You might know a retired zone sergeant, that just left he's a good friend of my father. My father works for DEP as a LT.

Comment

• Thanks for answering a lot of these guys don't do so.. so I appreciate it! I'm crossing my fingers with this test/process... the recruiters I've spoken to told me to get in the best shape possible which is what I started doing. But it sounds like you have been placed somewhere good compared to the troops by Canada LOL

Originally posted by TprBrownie View Post
            PAPD
            Qualified

NYSP

Yonkers PD
            Eligible

PWCPD

Baltimore City PD

Comment

• Originally posted by TprBrownie View Post
              Come on bro, you've spent enough time with us, you should just commit. Move up and be a K trooper for life. We're not that bad

5 years is coming up soon.... Crazy.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• I am excited to take my exam! Any tips for Oct?

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  5 years is coming up soon.... Crazy.
                  I got 10 years coming up soon over my way....crazy is not the word! Considering it feels not so long ago I was enlisting, then ETSing, spending 5 years at a PD now having 10 years on with my State...

Everyday that goes by, those words the retired guys say........"Enjoy it, because before you know it; it will be over” ring true; more and more.

You still driving that slow *** Tahoe?

Hope things are going good for you brother....stay safe.

Comment

• Still driving it. 100,000+ miles and still handles like a dream.

Comment

• I hear you bro, my guys that have Tahoes over here like them too.

I just got a 2013 Charger.....me like it a lot!

Comment

• Originally Posted by cjstudent11
                        I just got an email stating they reached my list number from the 2008 exam. Testing to begin September 14-15, anyone know if this is just the physical dates or what to expect? Thanks and best of luck!

"Did you get your package yet?"
                        Last edited by F_S; 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• I am in the same situation. I received an email from NYSP. And I am not sure if change my job would be a good move. My actual job is ok. But to be New York State trooper is a very privileged job. My reasons:
                          1._ next year in April I'm 5 years and be vested. I work for the railroad system

2._ salary cut. Even though I would catch up in the long run. But its painful. However no pain no gain

" does anybody know how the pay works after academy there some extras?

3._ I have to put 25 more years of service and be 60 years old for retirement Railroad employees get railroad retirement which more money than social sec. Does anyone know with the new tier 6 how many years of service a trooper needs in order to retire? And how it works?

Comment

• Can any current trooper on the forum slightly elaborate on the OT oppurtunities within the department? Is there any: arrest overtime, summons details, etc.... +/- 500 hrs for the year?
                            Last edited by JoeyBots9180; 08-05-2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Good questions... all of which I'd like to know the answers to as well
                              PAPD
                              Qualified

NYSP

Yonkers PD
                              Eligible

PWCPD

Baltimore City PD

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyBots9180 View Post
                                Can any current trooper on the forum slightly elaborate on the OT oppurtunities within the department? Is there any: arrest overtime, summons details, etc.... +/- 500 hrs for the year?
                                If you want OT you should look elsewhere.

As far as pay after the academy, it take 5 years to top pay as a Trooper. After that you get longevity pay or raises for promotions.

You get location pay downstate, NYC and LI.

We do not have shift differential or special duty pay. As I said earlier OT is hard to come by. There is no "collars for dollars" like some jobs.

At the end of the day we're paid we'll for what we do. If you're upstate, you're probably doing quite well. Downstate, you're doing good, but I know plenty of guys working side jobs.
                                Last edited by reils49; 08-06-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8389 users online. 256 members and 8133 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X