Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jb2257
    I'm no longer in a position where I can accept a posting anywhere within the State of New York. Having this in mind, I don't want to be the guy that goes through the academy and FTO, only to be miserable because I was sent to a location that didn't fit with the requirements of my personal life, when someone else, like some of you, would be ecstatic to be given the opportunity to serve anywhere in the state.
    You're a good man to come to terms with this isn't for you, and to give it to someone who wants it. Hats off to you, much respect.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jb2257
      I'm no longer in a position where I can accept a posting anywhere within the State of New York. Having this in mind, I don't want to be the guy that goes through the academy and FTO, only to be miserable because I was sent to a location that didn't fit with the requirements of my personal life, when someone else, like some of you, would be ecstatic to be given the opportunity to serve anywhere in the state.
      You are a good man, wish you the best going forward.

      Comment


      • Good luck to everybody entering the 200th session of the basic school.

        Comment


        • anyone know the rank they made it to for this academy??

          Comment


          • 1 down. 25 to go.

            Comment


            • Congrats to everyone on the board that seems to be making it into the academy. It's nice to see things finally moving along. I posted once with no response and thought I would give it another try - Can anyone with experience on the LEAB exam offer some pointers for study materials? There are hundreds of generic Police and Trooper exam books, but just curious to see if anyone found a resource that seemed to really be an accurate fit for the LEAB?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by sllewsgroupllc View Post
                Congrats to everyone on the board that seems to be making it into the academy. It's nice to see things finally moving along. I posted once with no response and thought I would give it another try - Can anyone with experience on the LEAB exam offer some pointers for study materials? There are hundreds of generic Police and Trooper exam books, but just curious to see if anyone found a resource that seemed to really be an accurate fit for the LEAB?
                The best practice is to just take as many civil service exams as possible. They tend to all look the same after a while, but if you really want some study material PoliceQuiz.com is a 24.99 program that'll help you out well.

                Comment


                • I just got an email stating they reached my list number from the 2008 exam. Testing to begin September 14-15, anyone know if this is just the physical dates or what to expect? Thanks and best of luck!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by cjstudent11 View Post
                    I just got an email stating they reached my list number from the 2008 exam. Testing to begin September 14-15, anyone know if this is just the physical dates or what to expect? Thanks and best of luck!
                    Same here, although a lot has changed since the test in '08. Im working for another agency now and Im not sure if I want to give that up.

                    Comment


                    • Hey, I know there are some people on this thread who have a lot of info. I really would love to get into law-enforcement. It is something that I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I just have a few questions, please help me out.

                      1) The State Troopers exam is something that has been on my mind for the past few weeks. It's something that I've always wanted. If I take the October exam and score 90+, what is the range in terms of time that I would have to wait before I can enter an academy (if they accept me of course)? Six months? A year? Two years? Three years?

                      2) Once in the Academy, is it a live-in academy? What are the hours? 5 days a week? 7 days a week?

                      3) If you graduate in the top ten % of the academy, do they let you pick your troop?

                      4) Are Troops F and K available to new troopers?

                      5) What are the most desired Troops?

                      Last 2 questions...

                      I took the NYPD exam on July 2013. I scored a 94.118, I am expecting to receive a 5 point residency credit as well so I *may* score a 99.118. How long will it take for me to be called into the NYPD?

                      Both jobs are the ones I want. Being a NYC kid, I would love to stay home, but I admire the State Troopers as well. If you were in my position, which job would you pick?

                      Any info would be great. Thanks a lot guys.

                      Comment


                      • No one can tell you how long the wait is going to be, the only ones that could probably give you an idea would be someone in recruiting, but even then budgets can change year to year. The NYPD has had classes of 2000 or 250 so when you'll get called is a crapshoot. I have no idea if they allow you to choose your troops if you finish high in the academy which is live in 5 days a week. I think that upstate troops are more desirable so I think its a higher probability of you getting a downstate troop if you were selected, thats purely based on a guess, but maybe a troop on the message board can clarify. I'm sure its all based on the needs of the agency, but most departments I imagine try to accommodate peoples residency somewhat and also try to give every area some people.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by cjstudent11 View Post
                          I just got an email stating they reached my list number from the 2008 exam. Testing to begin September 14-15, anyone know if this is just the physical dates or what to expect? Thanks and best of luck!
                          If this is the first correspondence you've had since you took the written exam then the first step is PT testing. I'm sure they'll send you some additional information with when/where to be and what you'll be doing.

                          Originally posted by AndyJAlban View Post
                          Hey, I know there are some people on this thread who have a lot of info. I really would love to get into law-enforcement. It is something that I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I just have a few questions, please help me out.

                          1) The State Troopers exam is something that has been on my mind for the past few weeks. It's something that I've always wanted. If I take the October exam and score 90+, what is the range in terms of time that I would have to wait before I can enter an academy (if they accept me of course)? Six months? A year? Two years? Three years?

                          2) Once in the Academy, is it a live-in academy? What are the hours? 5 days a week? 7 days a week?

                          3) If you graduate in the top ten % of the academy, do they let you pick your troop?

                          4) Are Troops F and K available to new troopers?

                          5) What are the most desired Troops?

                          Last 2 questions...

                          I took the NYPD exam on July 2013. I scored a 94.118, I am expecting to receive a 5 point residency credit as well so I *may* score a 99.118. How long will it take for me to be called into the NYPD?

                          Both jobs are the ones I want. Being a NYC kid, I would love to stay home, but I admire the State Troopers as well. If you were in my position, which job would you pick?

                          Any info would be great. Thanks a lot guys.
                          1)Tough to say...things have been moving along nicely with classes moving through but guys are still processing off the 2008 exam. Could be a long wait if things go south with the budget again.

                          2)You report to the academy Sunday nights and stay until Friday night. You're up for PT at 6 AM (sometimes earlier ) and could go as late as 10 PM.

                          3)Everyone gets to put in a list of their top 3 Troop choices, regardless of where you stand in the class. There are no guarantees.

                          4)Tough to say right now. I've heard from a boss that all of the guys currently on FTO (in K at least) will be shipped to other Troops upon completing FTO. I have also heard that the desire of the Superintendent was to keep everybody in the Troop you train in. There is no solid answer for your question.

                          5)Where ever home is. I wouldn't say there are Troops that are more desired than another, naturally we all just want to work relatively close to home.

                          I can't really help with the NYPD questions. I processed with the NYPD however the State ended up offering me a spot before NYPD did, so I went that route.

                          Comment


                          • Do new troopers get assigned to Troop T out of the academy? And if so is a sought after to Troop to be in? Does NYSP give points or anything like that to certified law enforcement?
                            Den sterkeste mann i verden er han som star mest alene.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by AndyJAlban View Post
                              Hey, I know there are some people on this thread who have a lot of info. I really would love to get into law-enforcement. It is something that I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I just have a few questions, please help me out.

                              1) The State Troopers exam is something that has been on my mind for the past few weeks. It's something that I've always wanted. If I take the October exam and score 90+, what is the range in terms of time that I would have to wait before I can enter an academy (if they accept me of course)? Six months? A year? Two years? Three years?

                              2) Once in the Academy, is it a live-in academy? What are the hours? 5 days a week? 7 days a week?

                              3) If you graduate in the top ten % of the academy, do they let you pick your troop?

                              4) Are Troops F and K available to new troopers?

                              5) What are the most desired Troops?

                              Last 2 questions...

                              I took the NYPD exam on July 2013. I scored a 94.118, I am expecting to receive a 5 point residency credit as well so I *may* score a 99.118. How long will it take for me to be called into the NYPD?

                              Both jobs are the ones I want. Being a NYC kid, I would love to stay home, but I admire the State Troopers as well. If you were in my position, which job would you pick?

                              Any info would be great. Thanks a lot guys.
                              I can give you a helping hand with the NYPD. From your test date to receiving your APD-5, which is pretty much an invitation to take the questionnaire about who you are what you've done, pretty much who are you, is roughly 18 - 24 months. After that is submitted is another 6 - 12 month wait for your initial medical letter. After that it really depends on the baggage you bring to the table. Arrest history, driving history (tickets, accidents), credit score, school records/grades, employment, who you hang out with, your family, who you live with( you can't live with ANYONE who has previously been arrested, even if it was in 1970), all that j***. That can take you anywhere from 3 + months. The overall wait to hit the academy is between 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 years. I'm almost on my 2nd year from taking the exam and the rumor is my APD-5 should be coming in Sept - October just to give you a round about point.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MrHighspeeder View Post
                                Do new troopers get assigned to Troop T out of the academy? And if so is a sought after to Troop to be in? Does NYSP give points or anything like that to certified law enforcement?
                                No. You cannot be assigned to Troop T out of the academy or on probation. You are not given points for being a certified law enforcement officer.
                                I make my living on Irish welfare.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6542 users online. 376 members and 6166 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X