Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GPF727 View Post
    Couple more questions for the forum...

About when in the Academy do you find out where you will be stationed? Do you have a wish list? (I do know it depends on Division needs and the wish list probably means nothing)

The thing I love about the NYSP is the promotion potential and the vast amount of opportunities you have. In regard to promotions, do you pretty much have to relocate every time you want to go for a promotion?

Assignments: You don't find out what Troop you are assigned until towards the end of the Academy. You may not find out what Station until a week before graduation.

Promotions: When promoted to Investigator, people often (not always) stay close. Sergeant is another matter. It could be close, but commonly it's far away. Sergeants are promoted from a statewide list, so the openings could be anywhere in the state.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
      Assignments: You don't find out what Troop you are assigned until towards the end of the Academy. You may not find out what Station until a week before graduation.

Promotions: When promoted to Investigator, people often (not always) stay close. Sergeant is another matter. It could be close, but commonly it's far away. Sergeants are promoted from a statewide list, so the openings could be anywhere in the state.

Thank you SlowDownThere...

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
        Gentlemen, how often do you rotate days & nights while assigned to 12 hour shifts?
        jb2257... From what I've heard from different Troopers... Alot of it depends on where you are stationed but they said typically you are on for days for roughly 2 weeks, then go to nights for 2 weeks...

That's the ONLY hangup I have right now... My wife is a nurse and makes good money and we have a young 6 month old... I cannot see how she can have a stable full time job with me having rotating shifts like that (I'm not a fan of all day daycare)... I would imagine Troopers have alot of stay at home moms or dads back at the house... That is what is making my decision very tough... Perhaps Troopers on the forum could offer words on this topic...
        Last edited by GPF727; 02-15-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• As I said earlier, I've been working the 2 shift for over 3 years. My station has guys who like days and some who like nights. I personally like the nights, and being the junior guy, with a station full of senior guys who want days it works. However some stations rotate every 2 weeks. Some stations more than that. It all depends. Its part of this job.

The other thing you should think about is court appearances. It's not uncommon for me to work a shift, and have court. The worst example: work 7pm-7am, court at 11 am or 1 pm and then back to work at 7 pm. Add in drive to & from work, and its not fun I usually get this about once a month.

If you want a 9-5 schedule, it's not going to happen. At least not right away.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
            As I said earlier, I've been working the 2 shift for over 3 years. My station has guys who like days and some who like nights. I personally like the nights, and being the junior guy, with a station full of senior guys who want days it works. However some stations rotate every 2 weeks. Some stations more than that. It all depends. Its part of this job.

The other thing you should think about is court appearances. It's not uncommon for me to work a shift, and have court. The worst example: work 7pm-7am, court at 11 am or 1 pm and then back to work at 7 pm. Add in drive to & from work, and its not fun I usually get this about once a month.

If you want a 9-5 schedule, it's not going to happen. At least not right away.

Thank you Reils...

Comment

• 20 yrs at 50%... 70% at 32 yrs... Do the math for each yr after 20 yrs. small % increase every yr after 20

Comment

I know I've posted this before, but can anyone post the benefit calculation formula for persons under the tier 6 pension? Ie 50% @20, 60% @25 ...
                You get 50% at 20 years, plus an additional 1/60 of salary for each additional year past 20.

For example:
                20 years = 30/60 = 50%
                22 years = 32/60 = 53.3%
                28 years = 38/60 = 63.3%

At 32 years, you stop increasing the numerator.
                32 years = 42/60 = 70%

Comment

• Do you need to stay to a certain age for the 1/60th? And does prior time count, for example 5 years with nypd plus 20 with nysp for 25 total?

Comment

• Originally posted by NY Police Man View Post
                    Do you need to stay to a certain age for the 1/60th? And does prior time count, for example 5 years with nypd plus 20 with nysp for 25 total?
                    Age has nothing to do with the calculation. The pension benefits get paid out at any age, as long as you are able to retire (that is, have 20 years of service credits).

And yes, 5 years with the NYPD and 20 years with NYSP and you would retire with 25 years credit. In fact, if you have 5 years with NYPD, you could retire after 15 years with NYSP, because that still adds up to 20 years of service credit.

Comment

• Does that work the same way with a tier 3 who was a nys correction officer for 6 yrs? Or is it just on the back end?

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Stay safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by redzone16 View Post
                          the Academy is not too bad, when your done you can go to the mall or out to eat. The staff is super friendly. The only downside is there is no Wifi for the iPads.
                          What type of breaks, if any, do they allow in the evening? Are cell phones or phone calls allowed? I have a young family and would like to be prepared as much as possible.

Thank you for your responses.
                          Last edited by Contributor101623; 02-22-2013, 09:17 PM. Reason: add a line

Comment

• cell phones at the academy, this **** is getting out of control already

Comment

I recently heard that nearly ALL new hires will be heading to C, D, & B, and that this will be the trend for the foreseeable future. Can any of you gentlemen comment on the accuracy of this, or on the likelyhood of someone going downstate (F or K) within a year or so of graduation?

Also, thank you SDT for the detailed explanation of the pension, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to enlighten us.
                              My investigator told me that of course, placement of the candidates will always be centered around division needs, however, the division is more likely NOW than ever before to be able to get you back around "home" sooner than later which is attributed to the 3 or so year hiring freeze.... alot of vacancies to fill.

For instance, my buddy who just graduated from the last Academy (Oct 2012 graduation)... He went right back to his home. Never had to even uproot his family... There was probably a little luck involved but as I stated prior... your chances are better now than they had been in years past... If you buckle down and graduate in the top portion of your class in the Academy... that improves your chances even more...

Comment

• Another thing for all of us to ponder... as we all know by now, rumor has it that there will be an Academy in June and then one in December...

There are people left over from the August processing, then you have pretty much ALL the people left over from the September processing and NOW.. they are doing a March processing... I was told by my recruiter that since word got out that the NYSP is doing a huge hiring effort this year that EVERYONE is coming out of the woodwork so to speak. So in other words, all those people that deferred in the past or postponed their processing are showing up in March... Especially since people now know that the life of this eligibility list is coming to an end... And alot of these guys have us beat in rank cause they deferred a while back... so just keep in mind... we could miss out on this June academy and be pushed back to the December one...
                                Last edited by GPF727; 02-23-2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10344 users online. 413 members and 9931 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X