Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all! I just joined the forum because I was called in for the Sept 22 processing.

Great information here and hopefully I'll see a bunch of you there.

BTW:anybody in Queens, NY looking for a running partner?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Stig View Post
      Are there some aspects about working for NYSP that people dislike?...aside from the actual job of being a Trooper? I actually have heard the same thing, that there are many NYS Troopers who dislike working for the agency, and I just can't fathom it. Could anyone list the negatives of this agency, if any? This may be tough to answer but if I had to list negatives of my agency I could definitely come up with some. Personally, I like the job and the benefits and financial security alone doesn't sway me from this agency. In the nearly 5 years since the exam, I have since gone to another state agency and I have to decide soon whether to report to Albany for processing or stay with my current agency and keep applying to the feds. Thanks for any input.
      There's a lot I'd like to say about it...
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Can someone give a rough schedule of the initial processing weekend? Pt on Saturday....psych Sunday etc...what I really need to know is what time they were finished with you Sunday. I am in a live in academy out of state with a long drive back and cannot be late.
        Are you driving back to Nebraska? Or is NE new England?
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
          If those of you who have been Troopers for a while already wouldn't mind sharing, what is your level of satisfaction with the job and how do you rate your quality of life (acknowledging the fact that this is LE and there are certain constants about LE that will never change).
          The job has been good to me. I'd say 95 per cent of us like the job and like the work. Yeah, it's hard. But if it were easy it wouldn't be rewarding.

20 years ago I would have said the job was actually fun. I don't say that anymore, partly because I'm 20 years older, and partly because the job has changed a lot in 20 years. The public has changed a lot too. That may be the most frustrating part.
          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Anyone know how the suspect in the C Troop shooting made out?
            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• What agency? Are you an 1811?

Comment

Are there some aspects about working for NYSP that people dislike?...aside from the actual job of being a Trooper? I actually have heard the same thing, that there are many NYS Troopers who dislike working for the agency, and I just can't fathom it. Could anyone list the negatives of this agency, if any?
                I extremely dislike my 1.5 hr commute after working the 2 shift. I am honestly surprised how I am still alive after 3 years of this commute. How I've survived the t-way is purely due to a little friend I call rumble strips. The notion that you get transferred right back home after academy is false, and on top of that, be prepared for MUCH worse commutes if you decide for promotions.

Aside from the commute the biggest negative I'd say is the overshadowing fear of PC's for even the slightest mix-up. Top that up with the gamut of lousy bosses (SDT excluded!!) and you have some quality of life-type issues but thats really it. The job is a job, you have to treat it like that. If you make it your life and don't switch off when you walk out the door (to your insanely long drive home)you will grow to dislike it and get bitter.

On the plus side, there is tremendous opportunity here that you just can't get elsewhere in the state aside from the very largest PD's downstate. That alone was a huge selling point for me to leave my previous post at a smaller city PD. Opportunity for promotion was a big one too.

Lastly, I won't lie, the $$$ was a big deal to me too, although the pay scale has changed from my DOE it's still really good money and you can't do that kind of $$$ upstate outside of a very small handful of local PD's. If you're a downstater and have a line in to some of the heavy-hitters down there, forget it. But upstate, you can't get this kind of salary out of the starting gate anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
                  The only input I can provide is to advise you not to go to the feds. I'm currently a fed and looking to go back to a local or state level position. The amount of nannying, red tape, and nonsense you will deal with at the fed level will blow your mind. Everyone is terrified of taking the slightest risk and violating policy. Granted maybe this is only my agency, but my guess is it's not. Secondly, the federal retirement systems leo benefits are a pittance compared to state or local (34% at 20 years, 44% at 30 years).
                  100% this. I practically had to redo an entire Federal audit because there was random handwriting by my coworker (jotted a phone number down quick) on the envelope of an exhibit!
                  "Afraid of dying alone? Become a bus driver!"

Comment

• Originally posted by arls116 View Post
                    I extremely dislike my 1.5 hr commute after working the 2 shift. I am honestly surprised how I am still alive after 3 years of this commute. How I've survived the t-way is purely due to a little friend I call rumble strips. The notion that you get transferred right back home after academy is false, and on top of that, be prepared for MUCH worse commutes if you decide for promotions.

Aside from the commute the biggest negative I'd say is the overshadowing fear of PC's for even the slightest mix-up. Top that up with the gamut of lousy bosses (SDT excluded!!) and you have some quality of life-type issues but thats really it. The job is a job, you have to treat it like that. If you make it your life and don't switch off when you walk out the door (to your insanely long drive home)you will grow to dislike it and get bitter.

On the plus side, there is tremendous opportunity here that you just can't get elsewhere in the state aside from the very largest PD's downstate. That alone was a huge selling point for me to leave my previous post at a smaller city PD. Opportunity for promotion was a big one too.

Lastly, I won't lie, the $$$ was a big deal to me too, although the pay scale has changed from my DOE it's still really good money and you can't do that kind of $$$ upstate outside of a very small handful of local PD's. If you're a downstater and have a line in to some of the heavy-hitters down there, forget it. But upstate, you can't get this kind of salary out of the starting gate anywhere else.
                    That stinks. I had the opposite experience with the commute When I was a nysdot investigator... I was one of the only computer literate people there and they were so desperate for excell/access help that they let me drive 3 hours to Albany on the clock and mileage $$, hotel overnight if I wanted (I had a gf at SUNY Albany at the time :-D) and I only really did work a couple hours and spent most of the day driving. The salary sucked, but boy you could not beat the hours at that job anywhere public or private sector. Maybe SUNY professors with tenure, but that's it.
                    "Afraid of dying alone? Become a bus driver!"

Comment

• Just heard that the next class is going to be 200 recruits instead of 2 small classes. Also, possessing bath salts and synthetic marijuana is now essentially UPM... it's a violation and has the same fine structure as UPM.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• This...100 percent.

My former agency is full of former State/County/Local cops...majority are miserable and want to return.

The only Federal LE agencies I recommend are in order:
                        US Park Police (Think State Police of DC metro but smaller outfits in NYC/SF) Great agency
                        ATF
                        DEA
                        USPIS

That is about it

Originally posted by jb2257
                        The only input I can provide is to advise you not to go to the feds. I'm currently a fed and looking to go back to a local or state level position. The amount of nannying, red tape, and nonsense you will deal with at the fed level will blow your mind. Everyone is terrified of taking the slightest risk and violating policy. Granted maybe this is only my agency, but my guess is it's not. Secondly, the federal retirement systems leo benefits are a pittance compared to state or local (34% at 20 years, 44% at 30 years).

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                          Just heard that the next class is going to be 200 recruits instead of 2 small classes. Also, possessing bath salts and synthetic marijuana is now essentially UPM... it's a violation and has the same fine structure as UPM.
                          I was contacted for this second round of processing on sept 22nd and 23rd. Is this group processing for the upcoming class of 200 or the following class? Is there even enough time to process all phases for this upcoming class of 200?

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                            I'm going to find the entry on a bizarre 1192 arrest, I think it was out of SP Brewster. The guy was swerving all over the road.....however alcohol was only a partially contributing factor in his poor driving. The other factor was that he had his "junk" tied to the steering wheel with a shoelace. That incident report was a literary masterpiece.
                            Did you ever find that SJS? Some guys here, including me, are interested in learning better report writing skills.
                            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                              Did you ever find that SJS? Some guys here, including me, are interested in learning better report writing skills.
                              We were just talking about that in the squad room the other night. I have to find the report.
                              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by run4fun View Post
                                I was contacted for this second round of processing on sept 22nd and 23rd. Is this group processing for the upcoming class of 200 or the following class? Is there even enough time to process all phases for this upcoming class of 200?
                                I'll also be there 9/22.

I spoke with a recruiter and he said that the processing was for a class this Winter and to be prepared. (assuming I make it that far)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10129 users online. 433 members and 9696 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X