300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    I guess shooting for the minimum didn't work out that well for you... In the past those who failed were not afforded the opportunity to come back at the next processing to shoot for the minimum again...
    I didn't say that I shot for the bare minimum. I stated that in order to be considered for candidacy you needed to meet the 50th percentile. There were no guys during the PAT doing 80 sit ups in a minute, everyone stopped at 40. I never shot for only the 50th percentile and I am giving it my all everyday that I train to be as high as I can go. There is no excuse for me not being prepared for the initial PAT. What can I say? Life gets a hold of you and you lose track of a test you took 4 years ago. I was prepared up to the point of the hiring freeze, then I focused all of my time and energy on my current career (which is not chotskies, I actually do something that protects our society).

For some reason when I registered on the site I picked the user name "Mikey" and it gave me someone else's profile, so none of the information including the signatures relate to myself. The reason why I am posting this information? I want people to succeed in the processing and not let something small get in their way. We have been waiting for years for this opportunity and everyone should get a fair shot at making it into the academy.

I also want to add if I do make it into the academy, of course I wouldn't be posting a week by week journal of every days events that took place at the academy, I know that is confidential. I would refrain from any social media websites and just be studying course material all weekend.
    Last edited by Mikey; 08-24-2012, 11:49 PM.
    "Liter is french for gimme some F* cola!"
    -Super troopers Farva-

Comment

• Originally posted by Brewcrew10 View Post
      I had the pysch interview last week and have met with my background investigator for the first time this week.
      How did they contact you? Phone or mail? Just curious what the wait is about. Thank you and good luck to you

Comment

• Your post wasn't some arbitrary post; it was in response to me telling another that they shouldn't shoot for minimum standards. Apparently, everyone didn't stop at 40 or you wouldn't be going back for round 2!

FYI, the reason the Trooper asks for your age before you do the situps/pushups is because they want to know what number you need to qualify/pass. Most tell you to get up when you hit that number especially in the pushups, but you didn't get that far now did you.

Now let me waste some more of my day explaining to you why the Troopers on here care whether we have candidates who are prepared for the academy or the processing weekend.. While you respond to my posts some of the more deviant members of society are training in MMA, grappling, and other forms of unarmed combat. If given notice someone cannot do a measly amount of pushups or situps, it doesn't just show weakness of the body it tells a lot about that persons motivation. I want someone who cares and someone who is motivated backing me up not someone who needs an excuse to even get in mediocre shape!

Here are a couple of Will Rogers' quotes:
        "Never miss a good chance to shut up"
        "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging"

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
        I didn't say that I shot for the bare minimum. I stated that in order to be considered for candidacy you needed to meet the 50th percentile. There were no guys during the PAT doing 80 sit ups in a minute, everyone stopped at 40. I never shot for only the 50th percentile and I am giving it my all everyday that I train to be as high as I can go. There is no excuse for me not being prepared for the initial PAT. What can I say? Life gets a hold of you and you lose track of a test you took 4 years ago. I was prepared up to the point of the hiring freeze, then I focused all of my time and energy on my current career (which is not chotskies, I actually do something that protects our society).

For some reason when I registered on the site I picked the user name "Mikey" and it gave me someone else's profile, so none of the information including the signatures relate to myself. The reason why I am posting this information? I want people to succeed in the processing and not let something small get in their way. We have been waiting for years for this opportunity and everyone should get a fair shot at making it into the academy.

I also want to add if I do make it into the academy, of course I wouldn't be posting a week by week journal of every days events that took place at the academy, I know that is confidential. I would refrain from any social media websites and just be studying course material all weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by BryanM404 View Post
          How did they contact you? Phone or mail? Just curious what the wait is about. Thank you and good luck to you
          They contacted me by phone. Good luck to you too.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
            Not to dilute the thread, but personally, the fact that troopers with over a decade on the job are still keeping themselves in excellent condition, and getting fired up over the mere idea of someone potentially joining their ranks / showing up to the academy, in mediocre shape, is awesome and lets me know I definitely have my sights on the right agency.
            You got that right!

Comment

• Let me just say this, the notion that any of the prospective recruits is even being afforded a 2nd chance, much less a 3rd chance at attaining the MINIMUM PAT standards is unfathomable to me. I waited 4 1/2 years to make it to final selection, there was no second chances at the PAT for me or any other prospects that processed with me. I watched the CO's walk the prospects that failed right out of PAT regardless of what phase they were on. There's no "You take a break and have your power bar and gatorade and try again. Perhaps you would like to zone out to some tunes on your ipod while you recuperate...." F-THAT come prepared to exceed the standards or don't even show up, you're taking a chance away from some other viable prospect.

What my co-workers have said is the gold standard. I don't want the minimum coming to back the dirt-chickens off me and none of my 2-shift partners do either.
              I don't mean to come off as condescending or anything of the sort, what I aim to convey as that all of my brothers and sisters expect to go home after every tour. The night that the "minimum standards" backs me up and any one of us doesn't go home is a weight I could never bear, I won't let it happen to anyone I work with and I expect the same in return.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                I heard yesterday, that they are considering overlapping classes (i.e. one starting in Novermber,one starting in January). I suppose it could be done, but it would be awkward.
                I was talking with my troop's recruiter the other night. The same thing was mentioned; either a piggy-back class or a short turn-over class (one right after the other). Either way, she mentioned that they (Division) want at least two more classes following the 198th's graduation.

Comment

• Can someone give a rough schedule of the initial processing weekend? Pt on Saturday....psych Sunday etc...what I really need to know is what time they were finished with you Sunday. I am in a live in academy out of state with a long drive back and cannot be late.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Stig View Post
                    Can someone give a rough schedule of the initial processing weekend? Pt on Saturday....psych Sunday etc...what I really need to know is what time they were finished with you Sunday. I am in a live in academy out of state with a long drive back and cannot be late.

Sunday is your written and while you do your written they take you out for urine, hair test and hearing. My time to be there was 730am and was in my truck leaving around 1130-45. Good luck

Comment

• The PBA talked to us the other night at the state fair and said they want a big class in the winter.
                      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• If you prepare how do you fail the physical? Is it nerves/jitters? When I got a canvass letter for the SUNY police I couldn't even do a push up but I passed a month or so later, I think it was only a little less strict than SP like it gave you 15 more seconds for the run a few less sit ups, etc.

I have 8000 and change for my rank on the trooper test I think, looks like one of these rumored classes next year might hit me. I'm pretty conflicted because I get paid less where I am but I have a home office day, cool boss, get to live in a nice college town, and so on. The only troopers I've met were when I was at the SUNY Albany criminal justice graduate school and they all seemed to dislike the job -- even when the state was paying them to get a masters degree! Quality of life wise would you all recommend the job?
                        "Afraid of dying alone? Become a bus driver!"

Comment

• Not new to the forum, but new to this thread. Does anyone know if current canvass of candidates up to 6196 is for the first of the two classes that were mentioned on this thread or for both of them? I missed the cut-off by a few hundred and I am hopeful that I will recieve something in the next round of hiring whenever that may be.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
                            If those of you who have been Troopers for a while already wouldn't mind sharing, what is your level of satisfaction with the job and how do you rate your quality of life (acknowledging the fact that this is LE and there are certain constants about LE that will never change).
                            It is what it is. Some days it's great, some you want call in sick. It's the best job and the worst job at times. I make a good living for my family and I wouldn't want any other job, but it's not easy at times.

Comment

• Originally posted by JustShoveJOB View Post
                              The only troopers I've met were when I was at the SUNY Albany criminal justice graduate school and they all seemed to dislike the job -- even when the state was paying them to get a masters degree!
                              That's probably why they were getting their masters. Some guys like "the job", some don't.

Comment

• Are there some aspects about working for NYSP that people dislike?...aside from the actual job of being a Trooper? I actually have heard the same thing, that there are many NYS Troopers who dislike working for the agency, and I just can't fathom it. Could anyone list the negatives of this agency, if any? This may be tough to answer but if I had to list negatives of my agency I could definitely come up with some. Personally, I like the job and the benefits and financial security alone doesn't sway me from this agency. In the nearly 5 years since the exam, I have since gone to another state agency and I have to decide soon whether to report to Albany for processing or stay with my current agency and keep applying to the feds. Thanks for any input.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9271 users online. 399 members and 8872 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X