300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigLeap View Post
    Sorry, forgot to post that I'm trying to find the dates and investigating agency for each one.
    You should order a driver's abstract on yourself from NYSDMV (you need to go to a local office to do it, I believe). That will give you all of your reportable history. The bottom line here is to be honest, if you know it happened but don't remember when do your best and be forth-coming with the information if/when it comes up for review. The point here is that you are of sound mind and character. Lying is unacceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranter64 View Post
      I think for about 5 minutes 2/3rds of the way thru the academy I met height and weight. I never did prior to entering. If you are over be prepared for a body fat measurement. I lost 20lbs getting ready for the academy and another 18 during. I also don't think they measure until the medical but it was 8 years ago for me so I'm a little fuzzy on details.
      +1
      I will support that they aren't doing hgt/wgt measurements at processing, it's been replaced with another interview. However, that is no excuse or reason not to be fit. You are entering a world where fitness makes the difference between life and death in many situations. There are countless articles and interview of bad guys who decided to injure or kill cops and they almost always say because the cop looked "sloppy."

That being said, the minimum standards for height and weight are probably a bit outdated and unrealistic in terms of today's population, its more important that you are confident in your abilities to exceed the cooper standards for your age group. I never met the HGT/WGT once in my time in 2 different academies but I always made sure I was above 70% in all cooper scale categories. Train to exceed, not meet.

The PT/DT program at the Academy is all about what you put in to it. Consider it free personal training for 6 months, and if you work, you'll come out in the best shape you've been in. The Sergeant and PT/DT instructors are there to push you and they will. The goal is to make you fit, not punish you, even though it will feel like it. No pain, no gain they say, right?
      Last edited by arls116; 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by arls116 View Post
        You should order a driver's abstract on yourself from NYSDMV (you need to go to a local office to do it, I believe). That will give you all of your reportable history. The bottom line here is to be honest, if you know it happened but don't remember when do your best and be forth-coming with the information if/when it comes up for review. The point here is that you are of sound mind and character. Lying is unacceptable.
        I ordered my driver abstract online. I paid $17 bucks and was able to print it, no need to take a day off work and wait on long lines.

Comment

• Hello,

Does having high blood pressure disqualify a candidate from the NY State Troopers? What if it has been regulated with medication?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by CabeNYC View Post
            I ordered my driver abstract online. I paid $17 bucks and was able to print it, no need to take a day off work and wait on long lines.
            Maybe I'm a bit out of date with that one... my last background was in 2005....

Comment

• Originally posted by CentralNY View Post
              Hello,

Does having high blood pressure disqualify a candidate from the NY State Troopers? What if it has been regulated with medication?

Thanks
              Any medical condition could potentially affect your ability to be a police officer anywhere, not just with NYSP. It would be a decision of the Division Physician during documentation review and possibly the medical exam during processing weekend. You also have to get medical clearance from your own physician as part of your applicant packet.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks

Originally posted by arls116 View Post
                Any medical condition could potentially affect your ability to be a police officer anywhere, not just with NYSP. It would be a decision of the Division Physician during documentation review and possibly the medical exam during processing weekend. You also have to get medical clearance from your own physician as part of your applicant packet.

Thank you. I know that I will need to bring the medical clearance paper on processing weekend, and understand that the ultimate decision will be with the physician. It has been regulated with medication for 7+ years and I was wondering if anyone knows of a candidate who has been disqualified for this reason?

Comment

I was wondering if anyone knows of a candidate who has been disqualified for this reason?
                  I wouldn't be able to say for sure because a) candidate health information is privacy protected b) i don't personally know any disqualified candidates.

I can say that I was medically disqualified during my initial processing due to my eyesight, i exceeded the maximum uncorrected vision standard. I had corrective surgery, got my physician to sign off that i could see good, re-processed and cleared by the Division opthomolgist and was able to continue on without issue.

All that being said, I would't speculate as to exactly what the Division MD's are going to say but if you are medically cleared by your physician to perform "full and strenuous duty" you stand a good chance of Division MD's saying the same. But really, I just don't have a good answer for you because that kind of decision is made by someone with a higher pay grade than me and is private information.

I hope that helps a little bit and good luck with processing.

Comment

• Originally posted by arls116 View Post
                    I wouldn't be able to say for sure because a) candidate health information is privacy protected b) i don't personally know any disqualified candidates.

I can say that I was medically disqualified during my initial processing due to my eyesight, i exceeded the maximum uncorrected vision standard. I had corrective surgery, got my physician to sign off that i could see good, re-processed and cleared by the Division opthomolgist and was able to continue on without issue.

All that being said, I would't speculate as to exactly what the Division MD's are going to say but if you are medically cleared by your physician to perform "full and strenuous duty" you stand a good chance of Division MD's saying the same. But really, I just don't have a good answer for you because that kind of decision is made by someone with a higher pay grade than me and is private information.

I hope that helps a little bit and good luck with processing.
                    Yes that does help me a bit, but what I don't understand is if you were disqualified how were you able to 're-test' after eye surgery? I assumed that if you are disqualified for anything, you're done... Does it only apply to certain things?

Comment

Yes that does help me a bit, but what I don't understand is if you were disqualified how were you able to 're-test' after eye surgery? I assumed that if you are disqualified for anything, you're done... Does it only apply to certain things?
                      In my case, I went through a processing weekend and failed the tests for uncorrected vision, so at that point, I was pulled out of queue to the exit interview and given paper work regarding my medical disqual. You meet with a Commisioned Officer and they offer candidates who express intent to pursue vision correction surgery, proceedures to follow for re-instatement to continue processing. This processing weekend was the initial processing weekend and quite a ways ahead of the academy start date so I had plenty of time to go have surgery. I was instructed that when I completed my surgery that I would have to submit medical documentation to Division and my candidate status would be reactivated. I did all this and then at the pre-academy start processing I simply repeated the vision tests, passed them, and all was well, on to the next phase.

The disqual for vision is really more of a formallity, because it's not necessarily a permanent disqual unless you let it be. So my situation may not apply to all that are DQ'ed for whatever other reason. Really, the vision disqal is more of a delayed processing step than anything. Yes you are technically disqualified but you don't really "lose your place in line" while you go get your eyes fixed.

Basically, you do a large processing weekend sometimes several months ahead of the academy start to weed people out. Then when Division is actually going to commission a recruit class there is another processing weekend, usually within immediate proximitry to an academy start, where you re-test for everything except for things like polygraph and psych. As long as you previously verified with Division that you completed surgery and can meet the requirements you are right back in line with the rest of the candidates.

Again, good luck!

Comment

• Me too brother...i might need one more after that. I'm ranked 6800...funny, in the test before, i bombed ranking 14,000! and they hired up to 10,000. Now i do better and 2008 happens and i cant even get canvased...Ironical...oh well.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Are you allowed to use an ankle/wrist/knee, etc. brace or similar during the PT test?

Comment

Are you allowed to use an ankle/wrist/knee, etc. brace or similar during the PT test?
                              Yes you can wear ace bandages etc. if you desire.

Comment

• Originally posted by CabeNYC View Post
                                Thanks for the input guys. I am working hard to get ready for the PAT, and I feel confident I will surpass the minimum requirements.
                                All you have to do is meet the minimum requirements to be considered for candidacy. It's actually a good idea to stick near the 50% mark because you might over exert yourself and burn out all your energy for the other parts of the PAT. There is no benefit to out doing yourself during the PAT, if you want to prove yourself then do it at the academy, not at the PAT. Bottom line is just do one or two reps more than the minimum in case you did one wrong.

FYI: I received this information from the recruitment officer of troop K.
                                Last edited by Mikey; 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM.
                                "Liter is french for gimme some F* cola!"
                                -Super troopers Farva-

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5165 users online. 192 members and 4973 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X