300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JKOSU View Post
    I'm thinking of applying for the next scheduled exam but one of my eyes is worse than 20/100 uncorrected. Do I have no chance becaus of this? I'm thinking of getting surgery done but I'm not sure. Thanks.
    From reading the NYSP website, previous posts on here pertaining to the vision requirements, and discussing the matter with a relative that is at Division Headquarters, I do believe that there is little to no leniency on that matter. The requirements are just that, requirements.

Not that I am even an employee (definitely hopeful though) , but I have thought and asked about this topic a lot. I was born with a cataract in one eye and have had two surgeries in the last 6 months in an attempt to meet the 20/20 corrected requirement. Before the latest procedure last Thursday the best I could do was 20/40 in the eye. I will find out the results this Thursday and am still keeping my fingers crossed.

There are numerous common eye surgeries available today and if you are serious about applying for a career with the NYSP I would seriously recommend checking out your options.

Hope that helps to answer your question.

Comment

I'm thinking of applying for the next scheduled exam but one of my eyes is worse than 20/100 uncorrected. Do I have no chance becaus of this? I'm thinking of getting surgery done but I'm not sure. Thanks.
      I squinted my way through the test and wear contacts every day on the road but I am getting laser eye correction this summer. I know lots of people who got the surgery to get on the job... every one I have talked to say it's the best thing in the world they have ever done for themselves.
      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• I had to have the surgery to get hired. I went to Canada, where it was half the price. It's great not having to put contacts in every morning and having your eyes feel like they are burning at the end of a long day. After you have the surgery, the subsequent vision testing is done by your doctor and he can just fax the results.

Comment

• So could one go through the process of applying and just let them know that you will be having the surgery soon?

Also, how often does the NYSP give exams?

Thanks

Comment

So could one go through the process of applying and just let them know that you will be having the surgery soon?

Also, how often does the NYSP give exams?

Thanks

I would get the surgery ASAP as you will need it for the job and it will only benefit you either way. The next NYSP exam is not going to be any sooner than Feb or March '08, so by time they score the exam, establish a list and call you, you will have a good year from now and thats only if you get a top score (95-100). If you score average (80-94) like I did, you have atleast a 2 year wait. The exam is only given approx. once every 4 years, so if you really want the job don't wait til you are processing because it will only delay you further.
            Last edited by ATrooper2b; 05-21-2007, 10:18 AM.
            sigpic
            IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Yes, you can apply and see how you did before you get the surgery. However, you might need to have your surgery appointment scheduled for within a certain period of time after processing weekend, check with a recruiter to make sure about that. I went to processing weekend with a surgery appointment note in hand. That should allow you just enough time to heal and be ready for the academy.

Comment

• thanks, you've been a lot of help.

Comment

So could one go through the process of applying and just let them know that you will be having the surgery soon?
                  Just for further clarification, I leafed through some of the paperwork I have received and it states:

A 30 day waiting period prior to vision testing is required for candidates who have undergone corneal or other refractive procedures to improve visual acuity.

Candidates who have not undergone, but have planned to have a procedure to correct visual acuity, will be allowed to process if documentation is presented indicating a scheduled procedure within two (2) weeks of the processing date. Thereafter, candidates will be re-examined and must meet State Police vision standards.

Comment

• ATrooper2B,

Sent you an email

Also, everyone that passed the PAT received the same packet at the the testing site I was at.
                    Last edited by VZMan; 05-21-2007, 10:40 PM. Reason: Content

Comment

• I don't realy have anything to add.

I just like it when this thread is at the top of the list.

Carry on...
                      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Must be everybody has been outside enjoying the nice weather the last few days

Comment

• The weather is fantastic. To everybody currently in the academy, picking up garbage outside is just about the best work detail there is to be done.

Comment

• Try to think of it more as the first episode of the Twilight zone... "Where Is Everybody?"
                            sigpic
                            IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Nysp

It is certainly very nice outside. I went for my run today and it was quite hot. I am still checking my mailbox everyday looking for an invite to the medical!

Good luck and keep training.

Mike

Comment

• Recieved the letter for the Medical on June 30th. Class starts Aug 13, 2007.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7873 users online. 359 members and 7514 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X