Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees13, if you can get the DL prior to arriving...Great! Otherwise, there should an opportunity during the first week where an ATO will take everyone over to DMV. A P.O. Box is also fine to get your NY Drivers License. If you can't get the License before you arrive at least make sure you have a P.O. Box.

If memory serves me right, the address on your Driver's Licence has no bearing on where you are sent after the academy (although rules have changed and now your FTO station will be your permanent station).
    Last edited by phoenix23; 03-25-2012, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankees13 View Post
      Final Medical was a much quicker process this time w/o the modified PT. In and out in under 2 hours.
      We picked out sizes for P/T gear, waited on line for the Dr. and kept it moving. Advised we should be receiving letters within 1-2 weeks, good luck all.

On another note, for those that went through this process that were from out of state, my understanding is you have to establish a NY residency/Driver's license prior to day 1 of entering the Academy. Does the address where you establish residency have an effect on where you could be placed upon graduation ? (i.e. if you change address to live with your Aunt/Uncle in upstate NY as opposed to living with another family member in say Staten Island or Long Island ?

Any info/help would be appreciated.

I agree it went a lot quicker than I had anticipated. To the extent, I'm glad this all done with. Those back and forth drives to Albany can become monotonous. That was my fifth time back and forth in a little over a month. But this is what I want so I don't see it as a burden.

Concerning the licensing issue, I spoke with the Captain yesterday as I was leaving. I was told by him I would have to have an NY DL by the time the academy begins(if accepted to the academy). He did not mention being able to use a P.O. Box as suitable form. He did say however that a paper ID was a suitable form. I figured to use my good friend's address until I can find my own place of residence.

But I will take phoenix23's advice since he knows first hand. I'm just going off of what was explained to me yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix23 View Post
        Yankees13, if you can get the DL prior to arriving...Great! Otherwise, there should an opportunity during the first week where an ATO will take everyone over to DMV. A P.O. Box is also fine to get your NY Drivers License. If you can't get the License before you arrive at least make sure you have a P.O. Box.

If memory serves me right, the address on your Driver's Licence has no bearing on where you are sent after the academy (although rules have changed and now your FTO station will be your permanent station).
        Thanks Fucco and Phoenix23 for prompt reply.
        On another note, does anyone know of recruits who took public transportation up to Albany during the Academy? I did some research and found there is a bus that leaves NYC and gets into short distance of the Academy. Would there be any downsides to not having a car while there? I commute into NYC everyday for work and if I can hold out on the added expense until I truly need my own car (vs. sharing my fiance's) that would be ideal. Thanks again for all the advice (even SDTs "special checklist")

Comment

• Originally posted by FUCCO View Post
          all of the graduates are going to troop B F or K. Thats just the way it is.
          Yup.

Originally posted by Yankees13 View Post
          Thanks Fucco and Phoenix23 for prompt reply.
          On another note, does anyone know of recruits who took public transportation up to Albany during the Academy? I did some research and found there is a bus that leaves NYC and gets into short distance of the Academy. Would there be any downsides to not having a car while there? I commute into NYC everyday for work and if I can hold out on the added expense until I truly need my own car (vs. sharing my fiance's) that would be ideal. Thanks again for all the advice (even SDTs "special checklist")
          I would strongly suggest getting your own vehicle if you get hired, even if its just a beater. You don't want to be the guy who missed the bus on sunday night, or your ride from the bus station to the academy flakes out and you're stranded. But that's just me. And no one I knew of used mass transit while in the academy.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Pretty sure our classmate from the 197th had a virgina license at the start of the academy and he then put in the paperwork for his NY DLIC 1st week at Academy.

Also the upside to your own car.. there are a few.. like the limited times you get a phone call.. you dont want to be the guy standing in the rain while getting the 20 minutes to your self for that week. Sure I guess you could sit in a friends car.. but 20 minutes to yourself is about the best 20 minutes at the academy, cell phones are to be left in vehicles. You dont wanna have to leave yours in someone elses car b/c they may not get the oppurtunity to utilize theirs the same time you do. Get a car and you get some freedom. even if its only for 10 or 20 minutes a week. And i agree with Reils. DONT rely on anyone but yourself to get you there on time.
            Last edited by mrad44; 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• hi all,
              i was actually down for medical processing this past weekend as well. any more info on what the academy is like? you're really not able to talk to friends or family all week??

Comment

• Reading this thread makes me want to be in LE more and more.

Comment

• Originally posted by lehopeful111 View Post
                  hi all,
                  i was actually down for medical processing this past weekend as well. any more info on what the academy is like? you're really not able to talk to friends or family all week??
                  yep, almost completely cut off from the world, especially the first couple weeks......it actually feels very strange when you leave those first few fridays, being back in regular society. one thing i particularly remember is a WHOLE new appreciation for music when my car radio popped on.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                    On another note....COB today makes 26 years with the NYSP. UGH.
                    Congrats SDT! Sounds like you are ready to retire. Feel free to do that soon, as it will open up a spot for one of us!

Congrats to those who attended the final medical. If you make it, don't be a stranger on the forum. Keep us updated when you are able.

Has anyone heard an approximate date for the next processing weekend?

Thank you.
                    Last edited by NYSP61; 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
                      Congrats SDT! Sounds like you are ready to retire. Feel free to do that soon, as it will open up a spot for one of us!

Congrats to those who attended the final medical. If you make it, don't be a stranger on the forum. Keep us updated when you are able.

Has anyone heard an approximate date for the next processing weekend?

Thank you.
                      I was also at the medical on Saturday. I was excited that we got to see the dorms and got to pick our sizes for the gear. Good luck to all the other hopefuls.

Of those that weren't so lucky during the physical at the processing weekend in February, some were invited to retry at the next processing. They were told more or less "Sorry it didn't work out for you this time but we will be processing again in June and we invite you to come back then and try again."

So to answer your question it seems like June is when they will have the processing weekend for the tentative October academy. Again I'm a candidate so don't take what I overheard as set in stone, just trying to be helpful.
                      NYSP
                      2008 Exam Score - 97.64
                      Rank- 6xx

Comment

• Originally posted by oakley150 View Post
                        Got stopped by NYSP today...showed him my tin (non NYSP)... the trooper proceeded to give me a speech about why going 10 mph over the speed limit is such a travesty. I was not ina position to argue, so I agreed with him. Gotta be honest tho not too impressed with this today. I may be a new officer, but when I see legitimate credentials...no speech given, let him go and just continue with my work.

Not to mention Ive always aspired to be NYSP...I was a little taken back by this troopers reaction.
                        Something tells me you were doing a little more than 10 over. This post isn't going to score any points with anyone here or in Albany. Even if your story is true... why complain about not being ticketed for an obvious violation of the law?

Originally posted by lehopeful111 View Post
                        hi all,
                        I really hope this post is a joke or you are in for a rude awakening if you are really this far in the process.

Originally posted by Blitzfitz2150 View Post
                        I was excited that we got to see the dorms...
                        I too had that enthusiasm a decade ago... now all I remember is the dread that filled my mind when I saw the Guilderland rest area every sunday evening.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• I was just thinking about how after we left the academy theres been nothing but Dust to occupy the rooms. And after seeing the File 14 I see the Dust Nazi is going to return. I feel bad for all you entering the academy on April 23rd.

Im sure that the new chinup bar that our class purchased as a gift to the academy will be worked in, in no time.

Comment

• Originally posted by lehopeful111 View Post
                            hi all,
                            It's really alot of fun. Sorta' like a 6 month vacation from your family.

Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                            Something tells me you were doing a little more than 10 over. This post isn't going to score any points with anyone here
                            Yeah, I highly doubt you were stopped for 10+....
                            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Reils49,

Any word on when they will start processing for the next academy date?

Comment

• I too had that enthusiasm a decade ago... now all I remember is the dread that filled my mind when I saw the Guilderland rest area every sunday evening.
                                +100

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8659 users online. 424 members and 8235 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X