300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
    I'd say try, then give it your all..........Their is no guarantee you will get called again. Also, I know people who were called back after failing the pt test and given another shot.
    Agreed, go there and give it all that you can. Even if you DQ based on your PAT scores there is potential for you to be recalled back for the 2nd class later this year. That should give you more than enough time to wear out the rubber on some go fasters....

For all with questions about where the PAT will take place, the entire process will be a weekend long event @ The Academy. There is a track not far from the gym on the SUNY campus where you will do the run after you do situps and then push ups. You will be clustered in to groups based upon your arrival time. You will have some down time between each event but you should have prepared for this and rest between the agility tests shouldn't be an issue for you.

Be prepared to stand in lines for extended amounts of time while moving from each of the various exam stations. There will be a lot of people there.

And don't let Lt. West scare you all, he doesn't bite, much. Right Cadetlinux

Comment

• Originally posted by arls116 View Post
      And don't let Lt. West scare you all, he doesn't bite, much. Right Cadetlinux
      ohhh was he promonted? good for him......."if you look good, you play good"

Comment

• @arls116

I'm 34-years old and I've been on active duty for the last 16-years. I applied for, but did not take the 2008 exam. At the time I was stationed out of state and I was deployed during the military make up. In 1997 I wasn't old enough to take the test, in 2001 I tested and ranked 201 out of 12,000 but couldn't get out of the military. I was selected for commission and didn't apply in 2004. In 2011 I was reassigned to Fort Drum near Watertown NY. I checked out the recruitment website and under the employment/qualifications tab the age requirements states " Must be appointed prior to 35th birthday, except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active military duty - up to a maximum of 6 years."That's different than its ever been. I thought my window of opportunity had passed too, but unless I'm reading that wrong I can still give it a try.

Comment

• @arls116

Reference my previous post. I do appreciate the information, and I don't doubt you a bit! That change to the NYSP recruitment site happened within the last couple months. It'd be great for me if they offered another military make up exam, but the NYSP has a long list of guys without having to do that. My best hope is that the new age qualification sticks and I can take the next exam!

Comment

• Here is the link for all of you old guys like me! http://www.nytrooper.com/qualifications.cfm

Comment

• Bhealy, I realize some of my fellow Troopers out there are saying take a chance and take it because you might pass. I have to agree with relis on this one though... Explain your situation and request a deferment until the next class which is scheduled for later this year. That'll give you enough time to be 100% positive you will pass instead. That's my suggestion, good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

• My best guess is Feb 17th, to be effective March 1. Just a guess!
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by greg11477 View Post
                  Here is the link for all of you old guys like me! http://www.nytrooper.com/qualifications.cfm
                  here is a link for you 'old' military applicants:
                  http://www.nytrooper.com/military_applicants.cfm

@greg11477 you are mostly correct, however the maximum age to take the civil service exam is 30. You have to apply to take the test in order to be eligible for "appointment." Your active service time does count towards that and can extend you up to 6 years past the maximum applicant age of 29. Short story, if you have 6 years of active service credits you have until age 35 to be able to APPLY to take the exam. There won't be an exam given this year and most likely not in 2013.
                  All of this is straight from the military applicants page listed above.

Most towns & municipalities offer the same types of extensions for active duty so you've still got a shot at that. You are in all likelyhood never going to get a shot at NYSP unless something unusual happens and they give an exam this year. Like I said before , it's all but certain that you won't see an NYSP exam this year or next. If you are 34 now, you will be past 35 YOA before the next exam is even conceptualized.

Either way, best of luck to you!
                  Don't give up on your dreams and we thank you for your service.
                  Last edited by arls116; 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                    ohhh was he promonted? good for him......."if you look good, you play good"
                    he got his coin while 197 was in session, we celebrated in the gym....

"it's not personal, it's business...."

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                      My best guess is Feb 17th, to be effective March 1. Just a guess!
                      effective 16-FEB!!!

Comment

• @arls116

My bad, I wasn't putting it all together. That makes perfect sense now. I really waisted my best opportunity after the 2001 exam. I ranked 201 out of 12,000+, but re-enlisted in 2000 and that commitment took me through 2004. I was still on the deferred hiring list and could've processed, but I was selected for Officer Training School in 2004 and with a family I was afraid to give up the security/pay check. Now with the fiscal crisis and all the defense cuts I may get forced in to early retirement in FY 2013. I'm looking at local departments and the PA State Police have looser age requirements too. Thanks for looking out! Good luck to all you guys processing this weekend, give them hell on the PT Test!

Comment

• Originally posted by arls116 View Post
                          he got his coin while 197 was in session, we celebrated in the gym....

"it's not personal, it's business...."
                          Arls,
                          I remember you celebrating in the gym a time or 2
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• So how did everyone do today during processing?
                            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                              So how did everyone do today during processing?
                              I'm guessing that we don't hear from those who passed the PT till tomorrow after they get home from the psych test... and then shortly after that we will see deleted posts and not hear from anyone again till after halloween.
                              Last edited by Trooper4985; 02-12-2012, 02:49 AM.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• LOL...very true 4985. Just hopin for my shot, sometime in the future...maybe...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11427 users online. 518 members and 10909 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X