Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eerily familiar feeling being in Clarence yesterday. A great show of support from the NYSP, local agencies, out of state agencies, and those from across the border. RIP KPD.

    Comment


    • Hey all,

      Haven't been on here in a while, hope all is well. My prayers and condolences go out to the friends, family, and co-workers of Trooper Dobson.

      Take care and stay safe!

      Nick

      Comment


      • Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
        Thank you and everyone else for the reply. My new command is big on movers and until now I've been fairly lax on traffic enforcement and aside from the basics, I'm pretty clueless. I found this online, it's a PDF file. Google "NYS VTL CHARGE CODES" and it's the first link...44 pages worth. I think those should do the trick!!
        I know you said you wanted a cheat sheet and I'm in the same boat, I have mine typed up and shrunk down to fit on to my ticket tin, I could copy it and fax it to ya or you could just buy one of these for a whopping 9.95.
        http://www.looseleaflaw.com/catalog/...=0-930137-17-5

        I've used it forever and it's really the best, it's 100% better than the free VTL guide we get from the DMV and it has almost every obscure violation one could ever need in it. But, the guys are right, as long as you can remember 1180d and 3752a1 you should be all set

        Comment


        • Government Shutdown

          With all this news about a looming shutdown, what happens to the NYSP? Will this have any impact on them? Will layoff's or furloughs occur as a result of this?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MBracko View Post
            With all this news about a looming shutdown, what happens to the NYSP? Will this have any impact on them? Will layoff's or furloughs occur as a result of this?
            The Fed Gov is possibly shutting down, shouldn't affect NYSP.

            Comment


            • DVD's are being handed out, you should get yours shortly.

              Comment


              • Are NYS troopers appointed under Civil Service Law or Executive Law? I was having a discussion concerning inter-departmental lateral transfers in NYS on another thread and I know that NYC Police, State Troopers, and SUNY Police are not eligible for direct transfer to other municipal departments but I was just trying to figure out why that is the case for NYS Troopers. Thanks.

                Comment


                • http://www.buffalonews.com/wire-feed...icle390065.ece

                  Comment


                  • Good Job Navy Seals!

                    Comment


                    • Civil Service Law governs NYSP appointment to Trooper, Executive Law governs our role and responsibilties.

                      NYSP, NYSPP, SUNY PD's can all transfer laterally to all other LEAs within the confines of NYS assuming the individual has a BMP certificate issued by DCJS. NYPD cannot transfer to any agency on the strength of the NYPD academy certificate alone, they must take a civil service test get hired and repeat a zone academy like anyone else. It is vice-versa for any current non-NYPD LEO trying to lateral in to the NYPD, they have to take test, get through process and go to academy.
                      Not so sure about DEC/DEP/EnCon/PAPD though...
                      All Police Powers in NYS are governed by Executive Law, NYSP has it's own article but all PD's fall under DCJS' article.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by arls116 View Post
                        Civil Service Law governs NYSP appointment to Trooper, Executive Law governs our role and responsibilties.

                        NYSP, NYSPP, SUNY PD's can all transfer laterally to all other LEAs within the confines of NYS assuming the individual has a BMP certificate issued by DCJS. NYPD cannot transfer to any agency on the strength of the NYPD academy certificate alone, they must take a civil service test get hired and repeat a zone academy like anyone else. It is vice-versa for any current non-NYPD LEO trying to lateral in to the NYPD, they have to take test, get through process and go to academy.
                        Not so sure about DEC/DEP/EnCon/PAPD though...
                        All Police Powers in NYS are governed by Executive Law, NYSP has it's own article but all PD's fall under DCJS' article.
                        Not entirely true. An NYPD MOS can get hired off a civil service list by a municipal agency and have the academy waived by DCJS. Some agencies will not take the former training and require a new hire to attend their academy for either part or all of the basic academy.

                        Comment


                        • I remember being told as a recruit in the Academy that it is not civil service and therefore you could be dismissed withought civil service protection. Maybe it was a scare tactic, but all the money orders I made out as a applicant (test, fingerprints, ect.) were made out to the Superintendant of State Police not the NYS Dept. of Civil Service. But, I don't know the answer for sure and it really dosen't matter either way....
                          "Cowards die many times before their deaths,
                          The valiant never taste of death but once." - Shakespeare (Julius Caesar)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ProdigalSon View Post
                            Not entirely true. An NYPD MOS can get hired off a civil service list by a municipal agency and have the academy waived by DCJS. Some agencies will not take the former training and require a new hire to attend their academy for either part or all of the basic academy.
                            My former department attempted to hire an NYPD MOS and DCJS wouldn't grant a waiver for him. Perhaps it is case by case for that aspect. But regardless, NYSP/NYSPP can lateral transfer to any municipal or county agency without any further academy basic training. LEO's from out of state is a whole different ball of wax...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 4merjarhead View Post
                              I remember being told as a recruit in the Academy that it is not civil service and therefore you could be dismissed withought civil service protection. Maybe it was a scare tactic, but all the money orders I made out as a applicant (test, fingerprints, ect.) were made out to the Superintendant of State Police not the NYS Dept. of Civil Service. But, I don't know the answer for sure and it really dosen't matter either way....
                              Yup, its true that your status as a recruit and throughout probationary term is conditional and you can be terminated at the behest of the Super. Additionally, there is no unionized civil service "protection" during that time.

                              As far as the OP's question, the Civil Service Law is the means to becoming a NYS employee, the Executive Law gives the Supe the power to "appoint" someone to the rank of Trooper (or higher).
                              Last edited by arls116; 05-03-2011, 10:26 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Thanks for the reply. Can you make any sense out of this then?

                                http://cityofelmira.net/usr/police-d...strictions.pdf

                                It's a memo from NYS Civil Service saying SUNY, NYPD, and NYSP can't lateral (I think?)

                                I live on Long Island and I know that Troopers who transfer to Nassau or Suffolk County PD have to go through their academy. Is it just because the agency wants them to repeat it?

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11145 users online. 434 members and 10711 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X