300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
    Frenchie: There is a good DMV Police VTL Guide out there. Not sure how or where to get it but I know I got mine for free and have had it since the academy and it's relatively small. I would think you could get a copy from a DMV office or your training officer but I'm not sure.
    Thank you and everyone else for the reply. My new command is big on movers and until now I've been fairly lax on traffic enforcement and aside from the basics, I'm pretty clueless. I found this online, it's a PDF file. Google "NYS VTL CHARGE CODES" and it's the first link...44 pages worth. I think those should do the trick!!
    sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
    DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

• I use the DMV Police guide. Some of the wording is a bit different from the VTL, but its pretty good and it fits in the front pocket of my patrol bag so its always handy.

I have written a ton of the 1144A tickets..albeit on a parkway, but I think its a great cite.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• RIP Trooper Dobson. So much for 1144A.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtyduce View Post
          RIP Trooper Dobson. So much for 1144A.
          Prayers and condolences! Hopefully someone will be held accountable.

Stay safe out there!

Comment

• Incident at E/C line ended with no good guys hurt and 1 drunk motorist wishing he didn't point a shotgun at a Trooper.
            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
              1 drunk motorist wishing he didn't point a shotgun at a Trooper.
              ..yea that usually doesn't end well.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• RIP Tpr. Dobson.........be careful out there folks

Comment

• RIP to Trooper Dobson.

Even though the move over law is in full effect, I still see a lot of cars not moving over on the parkways here in Long Island. There should more enforcement on that so people will finally get the idea. Run a speed trap and while the first Trooper is with the person, the second Trooper right after them will pull over those violating the laws.

Also one question, does NY state law mandate that a Troopers vehicle must be in view of oncoming cars when running a speed trap or are you able to park after an overpass and run enforcement?

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                      It would be kind of silly to say we have to be openly visible when doing speed enforcement... kind of defeats the purpose..
                      True, to some extent. Isn't it also enforcement by visible perception? In other words, if you are visible, people will slow down simply because they see a troop car. You could be doing paperwork, but the end result and the whole idea of speed enforcement is the same: To get people to slow down, thus increasing safety on the roads. Or am I wrong? (Not trying to argue, please don't take it the wrong way.)

Example: You guys did a number on 390S this morning between Rush and Avon Exits! Two Tahoes, a slick-top CVPI and even the van had a commercial pulled over at the Geneseo Exit. And yes, I did notice the Tahoe on the overpass. This visible presence has waaay more impact on motorists than hiding in the bushes. I understand that it's not great for revenue enhancement, but people slow down because they see you out there, not because they don't. Just my opinion. Stay safe guys, thank you for your work. Prayers to Tpr. Dobson's family.
                      Last edited by NYSP61; 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Also, a question regarding vehicle position when making a stop: 95% of the time when I see a trooper make a stop, their car is mostly-100% out of the laneway. It seems to me that this is the safest approach, to get as far out of the lane as possible. Why do some deparments stop cars literally halfway into the lane, when there is plenty of shoulder left, and quite often flat, grassy ground? I think I understand that it is to get people to slow down, but I don't see how this could be safe, to have half of the vehicle into the lane of traffic. If you are far enough off of the roadway, people could safely drive by, feet from you and the motorist, instead of just inches.
                        Just something I thought about given the recent unfortunate accident. Stay safe and thank you!

Comment

• Haven't seen two troopers running a trap on the Grand Central right at the edge of Queens in a while! You two both had some customers at the same time, very nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCJake View Post
                            Haven't seen two troopers running a trap on the Grand Central right at the edge of Queens in a while! You two both had some customers at the same time, very nice.
                            You saw the State Police on the Grand Central Parkway? In Queens? Doing VTL stops?? That's unheard of. The State Police generally do not patrol within the confines of NYC unless there is an unusual occurrence, a state of emergency(9/11), and/or they are engaged in close pursuit. Are you sure it wasn't the Northern Parkway in Nassau County?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                              Incident at E/C line ended with no good guys hurt and 1 drunk motorist wishing he didn't point a shotgun at a Trooper.
                              Thank god everyone is ok, it's bad enough we lost one this past weekend. Hopefully no one else.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9772 users online. 501 members and 9271 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X