300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hrlz001 View Post
    i never listed nys trooper...occupation state trooper location was ny and outdated....now living and working in VA....you all can relax now
    we'll relax when you guys stop writing cops.......

j/k
    Last edited by reils49; 03-12-2011, 08:41 PM.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• "I hadn't recieved a phase 3 letter by yesterday so I became concerned even though I'm out of state. I spoke with Joan Jacobs and she said they have other dates scheduled so I will be in Richmond March 28th! " <---------------------this is a comment that HRLZ001 posted on the VSP thread earlier this month....i dont mean to bust ur balls but you are not a state trooper until you actually graduate the academy....if an instructor sees this they will call you out on the first day....we had a guy out of our class who posted something that was obviously during academy hours on this site.....he got called out...just a suggestion

Comment

• ME1998: I was going to call him out on that exact comment/thread but never did. He is not being a jerk which is probably why I didn't bother. Around 7yrs ago on this very site a guy going through the academy got in a world of trouble for posting on this site giving a weekly journal of the academy events. They have even asked people for their usernames and passwords to this site and other LE sites.

He should be really careful as I am not sure how many former NY residents are applying for the upcoming class. It won't take much for the academy staff to figure out who he is!!!

Originally posted by hrlz001 View Post
        i never listed nys trooper...occupation state trooper location was ny and outdated....now living and working in VA....you all can relax now
        Originally posted by ME1998 View Post
        "I hadn't recieved a phase 3 letter by yesterday so I became concerned even though I'm out of state. I spoke with Joan Jacobs and she said they have other dates scheduled so I will be in Richmond March 28th! " <---------------------this is a comment that HRLZ001 posted on the VSP thread earlier this month....i dont mean to bust ur balls but you are not a state trooper until you actually graduate the academy....if an instructor sees this they will call you out on the first day....we had a guy out of our class who posted something that was obviously during academy hours on this site.....he got called out...just a suggestion

Comment

• it just gets better....

Comment

• This account is used by my brother trying to get into this agency since he cant post yet and our high scores and vet pref werent enough for NYSP to hire us yet....whats the deal with this thread do you guys have nothing else to talk about?

Comment

• The deal is: you represented yourself as a State Trooper.

The question is: are you a State Trooper, in New York or any other state???

Comment

• Greystate,

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep that in mind. Who knows what the future will bring, so I appreciate it, I just hope that I don't have to retake the Trooper exam, haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  The deal is: you represented yourself as a State Trooper.

The question is: are you a State Trooper, in New York or any other state???
                  Ive had 15 year old retail theft suspects from Kohl's that can throw together a better story than this guy
                  Last edited by ME1998; 03-14-2011, 08:12 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by Citykid33 View Post
                    Before I say what I need to say I just want you all to know that there's nothing more I want to be then a NYS Trooper. I repsect all of you for the work you continue to do out there each and everyday depsite the fact of the threat of layoffs and being understaffed on a consistent basis.

It's been 3 years since I took the initial test to be a trooper. I scored in the mid 90's and passed all of the requirements needed for entrance to the academy. I sacrificed relationships with people who didn't see eye to eye with my decision, jobs that I didn't take when a friend put out a good word for me because I didn't want to have to quit a few months in and make them look bad and schooling that I could've done for myself but didn't because I didn't want to take on the costs if I wasn't going to go all the way through with it. Obviously, I can't continue to live this way. I'll be 30 at the end of the year and I need to make a decision on what I'm going to do moving forward. Again, this is a job opportunity I really want but at some point I need to move forward, as much as I don't want to.

My question is does anyone forsee a class being put through in the next 9-12 months? My good friend who's a trooper told me to take the test and forget about it. Unfortunately, it's hard to forget about something that you really see yourself doing. This post isn't meant to seek pity or anything like that. I just need someone to give it to me straight at this point, so I can see what I need to do. Thanks.
                    Hey I'm not a trooper but I also took the last test and did pretty well on it and have been in limbo too since then. I guess what matters is whether you want to be a Trooper specifically or if you just want to get your foot in the door in Law Enforcement. For awhile, I had tunnel vision when it came to becoming an NYS Trooper, it's all I wanted to do. I'm a few years younger than you and I have 4 years of Active Army under my belt so I have until I'm 33 but I think the question really is: Do you want to get into Police work in general? If so, then why not take other tests? I took other tests throughout the State and got hired as an NYPD cop. It's a great job and in a way, I still satisfied my dream of becoming an LEO. Becoming 30 doesn't close the door on law enforcement for you, it just closes the door on becoming a NYS Trooper. If you want to work in this field, then take other tests and take them soon. I've never advocated putting your life on hold because of a job prospect, things happen and you may kick yourself in the end when you realize that you missed out on good alternative opportunities. Keep your options open. The NYPD is a great organization and even during difficult economic times throughout the rest of the State, we have still managed to put a recruit class together, even if it's a small one. You list Queens as your location also, that means you'd be eligible for resident preference. You have until you're 35 with the rest of the State to get hired. Something to think about. My advice when it comes to getting hired in LE is to take the test, and then just live your life like you never took it. It'll be more gratifying when you start getting letters and calls to report. Or it'll be an afterthought when you pursue other opportunities and realize you're better off that way. I don't know anymore than you do about a recruit class for the NYSP in the next year but I know what the financial condition of the State is, and it's bleak. Take that for what it's worth. We are putting a recruit class together in a few weeks of 500+ new recruits. Take that for what it's worth too.

Comment

• Hey, do any of you guys out there have a VTL violation "cheat sheet" they could e-mail me? I'd rather not have to pay for it at the cop shops. PM me if anyone can help, thanks.

_DF
                      sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                      DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
                        Hey, do any of you guys out there have a VTL violation "cheat sheet" they could e-mail me? I'd rather not have to pay for it at the cop shops. PM me if anyone can help, thanks.

_DF
                        I'll see what I can find tomorrow but my cheat sheet is a word document that I typed out and taped to my ticket tin when I first hit the road. Don't get stuck on the top 10 violations and forget about the rest of the V&T. If you are trying to hone your roadkill skills.... knowing the obscure parts of the V&T is just as important and knowing the search and siezure laws. If you're the typical highway guy.... 1180 and a couple of 375's are all you need to know.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• My favorite section to stop for is 1220 because people never see it coming. However, the new 1144-a section is quickly becoming my second favorite.

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                            My favorite section to stop for is 1220 because people never see it coming. However, the new 1144-a section is quickly becoming my second favorite.
                            Better have a good DA and judge to back you up on 1144-a... everyone in my area wants to dump it when the NG plea comes in because of the wording...

§ 1144-a. Operation of vehicles when approaching a parked, stopped or
                            standing authorized emergency vehicle. Every operator of a motor vehicle
                            shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with an authorized emergency
                            vehicle
                            which is parked, stopped or standing on the shoulder or any
                            portion of such highway and such authorized emergency vehicle is
                            displaying one or more red or combination red and white lights pursuant
                            to the provisions of paragraph two of subdivision forty-one of section
                            three hundred seventy-five of this chapter. For operators of motor
                            vehicles on parkways or controlled access highways, such due care shall
                            include, but not be limited to, moving from a lane which contains or is
                            immediately adjacent to the shoulder where such authorized emergency
                            vehicle displaying one or more red or combination red and white lights
                            pursuant to the provisions of paragraph two of subdivision forty-one of
                            section three hundred seventy-five of this chapter is parked, stopped or
                            standing to another lane, provided that such movement otherwise complies
                            with the requirements of this chapter including, but not limited to, the
                            provisions of sections eleven hundred ten of this title and eleven
                            hundred twenty-eight of this title.

They seem to think the idea behind the law is an offense that can be charged after a Troop car has been struck (and Trooper injured or killed) by some self-absorbed ***hole who doesn't have the common sense to move over.
                            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post

Better have a good DA and judge to back you up on 1144-a... everyone in my area wants to dump it when the NG plea comes in because of the wording...

§ 1144-a. Operation of vehicles when approaching a parked, stopped or
                              standing authorized emergency vehicle. Every operator of a motor vehicle
                              shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with an authorized emergency
                              vehicle
                              which is parked, stopped or standing on the shoulder or any
                              portion of such highway and such authorized emergency vehicle is
                              displaying one or more red or combination red and white lights pursuant
                              to the provisions of paragraph two of subdivision forty-one of section
                              three hundred seventy-five of this chapter. For operators of motor
                              vehicles on parkways or controlled access highways, such due care shall
                              include, but not be limited to, moving from a lane which contains or is
                              immediately adjacent to the shoulder where such authorized emergency
                              vehicle displaying one or more red or combination red and white lights
                              pursuant to the provisions of paragraph two of subdivision forty-one of
                              section three hundred seventy-five of this chapter is parked, stopped or
                              standing to another lane, provided that such movement otherwise complies
                              with the requirements of this chapter including, but not limited to, the
                              provisions of sections eleven hundred ten of this title and eleven
                              hundred twenty-eight of this title.

They seem to think the idea behind the law is an offense that can be charged after a Troop car has been struck (and Trooper injured or killed) by some self-absorbed ***hole who doesn't have the common sense to move over.
                              That's ridiculous. It should be enforceable just like every other VTL violation and like the Move Over Laws of other states.

Comment

• Frenchie: There is a good DMV Police VTL Guide out there. Not sure how or where to get it but I know I got mine for free and have had it since the academy and it's relatively small. I would think you could get a copy from a DMV office or your training officer but I'm not sure.
                                Last edited by nyc7011; 03-24-2011, 04:17 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5928 users online. 309 members and 5619 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X