Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the extent of your grappling training? I have a blue belt in BJJ and that is enough to dominate anyone without any ground fighting training.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix23 View Post
      Have any of the other Troops started the 2nd half of in-service training yet? Just curious...
      What is the second half consist of?

Comment

• Originally posted by hrlz001 View Post
        what is the extent of your grappling training? I have a blue belt in BJJ and that is enough to dominate anyone without any ground fighting training.
        Yeah, a legitimate blue belt should be able to dominate a non grappler on the ground but a blue belt from Matt Bravo type probably couldn't...

I train strictly nogi though would love to train gi if there was a decent school near me.

Why do you list your occupation as a NYS Trooper when you are not on the job with us?

Comment

• GP, we're getting a video released of all the important moves. It should be distributed to all the troops withing the next 4 months.

Did you guys get your email about ordering your 2nd badge?

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix23 View Post
            GP, we're getting a video released of all the important moves. It should be distributed to all the troops withing the next 4 months.

Did you guys get your email about ordering your 2nd badge?
            Yeah, they have given one per troop to begin with. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an individual copy. This is not a case of division not trying there is simply not enough money to finance the project for now.

No email here!

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
              No email here!
              check the pba site....it should have come to your personal email from them, not to your division email

Comment

• This board has been a very helpful place for me in the aspect that I can get some information from seasoned LEO regarding the test and what not. My cousin is one of the most recently hired Troopers. A few days ago he told me that I will likely age out of the testing process, and that one will not be given before I am over the age limit. I do have military time- yet I was never active duty, so I can't count any of it. When I questioned him as to why he thinks this, he told me that layoff rumours are floating again due to Cuomo and the PBA not being able to reach negotions. I have not seen anything to confirm what my cousin has told me either on the internet, or on this board. Do any of you have any insight as to this? I did recently take my county sheriff exam so I have that on the backburner, however I would much rather be a Trooper than any other form of LEO.

Comment

The money for the tasers came from the Trooper foundation (the state has no money for equipment for us). Division has come leaps and bounds with the in-service training. Non taser users need to be familiarized with the taser so they know what to do when a suspect has been tased (cuff and control).

The other familiarization is essential and that is all I am going to say about that on here.

What they need is more ground fighting as more and more of the youth want to be a 'cage fighters' and are training rigorously to accomplish this.
                  I know where the money came from for the tasers. My comment about money better spent elsehwere was soley about the ADA stuff... I found the rest of winter in-service to be informative and helpful.
                  sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by MBracko View Post
                    When I questioned him as to why he thinks this, he told me that layoff rumours are floating again due to Cuomo and the PBA not being able to reach negotions. I have not seen anything to confirm what my cousin has told me either on the internet, or on this board.
                    I as well havnt heard anything more on getting laid off in a while - Alot of talk around my troop was that we would loose the numbers the GOV was looking for through attrition and by not holding an academy class for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb5722
                      I can't wait to hear the answer to this.
                      Now this should be interesting !!! wonder what's taking so long to answer???

Comment

• Before I say what I need to say I just want you all to know that there's nothing more I want to be then a NYS Trooper. I repsect all of you for the work you continue to do out there each and everyday depsite the fact of the threat of layoffs and being understaffed on a consistent basis.

It's been 3 years since I took the initial test to be a trooper. I scored in the mid 90's and passed all of the requirements needed for entrance to the academy. I sacrificed relationships with people who didn't see eye to eye with my decision, jobs that I didn't take when a friend put out a good word for me because I didn't want to have to quit a few months in and make them look bad and schooling that I could've done for myself but didn't because I didn't want to take on the costs if I wasn't going to go all the way through with it. Obviously, I can't continue to live this way. I'll be 30 at the end of the year and I need to make a decision on what I'm going to do moving forward. Again, this is a job opportunity I really want but at some point I need to move forward, as much as I don't want to.

My question is does anyone forsee a class being put through in the next 9-12 months? My good friend who's a trooper told me to take the test and forget about it. Unfortunately, it's hard to forget about something that you really see yourself doing. This post isn't meant to seek pity or anything like that. I just need someone to give it to me straight at this point, so I can see what I need to do. Thanks.

Comment

• Citykid, I am in the same spot as you and even did the final medical review, so I feel your pain, the only thing is I am a couple years younger than you, so I am not so worried abut the age thing.

You can take my advice or leave it, but I have been taking as many civil service exams as I am interested in, to include checking USAjobs for jobs with the DOJ. I have heard so many dates for the next academy, so until I get a letter or a call I just "try" to forget that I want to be a Trooper. I guess I might tell you to just keep applying and searching for different agencies, or other government jobs, or even military. Sooner or later, there will be something, it will happen, I just don't know when.

So I had a question for you experienced guys, I am in a spot now where I have been canvassed by other agencies and am about to start the whole process...again. If I make it through and actually get a job with another agency, and then choose to leave it for the State Police or something else, is that unprofessional or and the end of the day do I just need to do whats best for me? I don't intend to come off as selfish, because I know law enforcement is about serving the community; but I don't know I am a bit frustrated with everything. Thanks in advance,

-B

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah, a legitimate blue belt should be able to dominate a non grappler on the ground but a blue belt from Matt Bravo type probably couldn't...

I train strictly nogi though would love to train gi if there was a decent school near me.

Why do you list your occupation as a NYS Trooper when you are not on the job with us?
                              Weird somehow it changed from NY State Trooper to USA State Trooper.

Comment

• i never listed nys trooper...occupation state trooper location was ny and outdated....now living and working in VA....you all can relax now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8702 users online. 290 members and 8412 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X