Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MBracko View Post
    I was under the impression that the last class that went in was only approx.90 members, so it seemed as though they were just going to let go of the last class.
    There were 88 members in the 197th, and we're still here.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

    Comment


    • Well maybe on the bright side if attrition brought the ranks down roughly 250 positions last year assuming the retirements follow suit this year even with letting attrition take another 130 positions it still leaves vacancies for an academy?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MPUSMC View Post
        Well maybe on the bright side if attrition brought the ranks down roughly 250 positions last year assuming the retirements follow suit this year even with letting attrition take another 130 positions it still leaves vacancies for an academy?
        I'd plan on winning the lottery before there being a class this fiscal year... and I haven't bought a lottery ticket in 15 years. Don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer but I don't see a class in a year when "they" want to drop our numbers. I actually see them trying to drop our numbers even further next year.
        sigpic

        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

        Trooper4985's official theme song

        Comment


        • That is where the budget proposal is unclear. If the 130 members they are trying to cut are lost through attrition, what about the 9800 remaining layoffs that are being proposed. Will that trickle down to the NYSP, or are they then exempt from that?

          Comment


          • I read the Budget proposal, from what I could comprehend it appears they are taking 130 positions through attrition. Unlike last year which stated plainly that no Academy would take place in the 2010-2011 fiscal year which would result in roughly 270 positions left vacant. This budget does not address that issue at all, which leaves the academy issue as still possible however how unlikely it may well be. Maybe I am just hoping for the best since they did not say anything about in this budget about not have a Academy like they did in last years budget.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MBracko View Post
              That is where the budget proposal is unclear. If the 130 members they are trying to cut are lost through attrition, what about the 9800 remaining layoffs that are being proposed. Will that trickle down to the NYSP, or are they then exempt from that?
              It's possible, but nobody really knows for sure. You can cut the school budget, DOT budget or prison budget and not notice an immediate effect. What helps us is that when you call 911, you expect an immediate response. In many parts of NYS, the Troopers are the only show in town, some counties in NY don't have a Sheriffs patrol unit. We're short on the road as it is, and if you cut our numbers anymore, it wont be good....and I think Albany knows that.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by MPUSMC View Post
                ...Unlike last year which stated plainly that no Academy would take place in the 2010-2011 fiscal year...This budget does not address that issue at all, which leaves the academy issue as still possible however how unlikely it may well be. Maybe I am just hoping for the best since they did not say anything about in this budget about not have a Academy like they did in last years budget.
                Yes, this is very interesting. To quote reils49 "if you cut our numbers anymore, it wont be good....and I think Albany knows that."

                My question is, if an academy is not specifically allocated in the budget, where will the money come from? Could the state just pull it out of the general fund if they decide they absolutely need to put a class through during this fiscal year? Not really sure how that works, but it seems to me if it is not spelled out in the budget, it would be rather difficult to grab a few million $$ (or however much it costs) to put an class through.

                Can't wait to see what happens with it all.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MBracko View Post
                  http://publications.budget.state.ny....sentations.pdf

                  That was the information that I have. My buddy's brother sent it to me as he knows I am hoping to get into the next class.
                  Thanks for posting that link. The Executive Budget is 472 pages, so I don't recommend printing it all off. The SP portion of the budget is just 4 pages, 292-295. It proposes eliminating 43 Investigators and 87 Uniform Troopers, though it doesn't specifically state how. The overall SP budget is down 6.4 %, or 46 million dollars.

                  It does state "The above table does not reflect layoffs that may be necessary in the absence of negotiated workforce savings."
                  You can now follow me on twitter.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Daking0fqueens View Post
                    NYST pulled over my fiance for dark tints!!! WTF!!
                    I actually ventured onto this thread looking to see any updated information on hiring which I see doesn't look promising. I'm on the list from the 2008 exam, scored about a 91 and I'd love to work for NYSP one day. While I'm here, to the guy with the coke problem and the tinted windows; I'm a city cop (NYPD) not a trooper, but we stop people for tints all day. Why is it a surprise to you that she was pulled over for tints? I'll stop you for just about anything I see wrong with your car whether it's a defective plate lamp or running the red light. Not only are dark tints an officer safety issue, it generally indicates that the people in the car have something to hide (at least in Brooklyn it does). These VTL infractions give us probable cause to get in your face, get in your business, and hopefully find that weed/coke and/or gun in your car. Many guns have been taken off of the streets of NYS based on lawful VTL car stops. I see you put NYC for your location too so how are you outraged by this? If we'll stop you for tint, then the State Police DEFINITELY will. We may not write you a summons if your attitude is right but the Troopers usually will, your problem is that she got a summons, not that she was stopped. What did you expect?

                    Back to the hiring part: Can anyone explain how your pension contributions/time transfer over to NYSP from the NYPD? I'm confused because of all the pension reform and changes going on. Right now I'm in what's called tier 3... basically it's 22 years for 50% retirement with no COLA or 25 years for 50% with COLA. We contribute a steady 3% for the duration of our employment. What is the pension system for new hires with NYSP? Has it been modified from 20 to 25 years? If we are transferring our time over will we be under a 20 year tier? Or 25? Thanks in advance. You guys in the NYSP are top notch, always professional and on point. I hope the State gets their money game right soon so you guys can hire again.
                    Last edited by nyc7011; 02-10-2011, 05:23 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
                      Back to the hiring part: Can anyone explain how your pension contributions/time transfer over to NYSP from the NYPD? I'm confused because of all the pension reform and changes going on. Right now I'm in what's called tier 3... basically it's 22 years for 50% retirement with no COLA or 25 years for 50% with COLA. We contribute a steady 3% for the duration of our employment. What is the pension system for new hires with NYSP? Has it been modified from 20 to 25 years? If we are transferring our time over will we be under a 20 year tier? Or 25? Thanks in advance. You guys in the NYSP are top notch, always professional and on point. I hope the State gets their money game right soon so you guys can hire again.

                      http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/em...er-5/index.php

                      I hope the information in this link helps. I don't know about your particular situation. All of our people are Tier 2 (I don't think we have any Tier 1 left). New hires will be in Tier 5, but we haven't hired anyone since the inception of Tier 5. If you came from a Tier 2 system, I suspect you would stay in Tier 2. Coming from a ERS Tier 3, it states those currently in Tier 1,2,3,4 will not be effected by this legislation.

                      But it also states PFER Tier 1,2 will not be effected. I don't know about PFRS Tier 3. Worth a phone call.
                      Last edited by SlowDownThere; 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM.
                      You can now follow me on twitter.

                      Comment


                      • Have any of the other Troops started the 2nd half of in-service training yet? Just curious...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by phoenix23 View Post
                          Have any of the other Troops started the 2nd half of in-service training yet? Just curious...
                          Really? You may have to 9.41 me if I have to sit through more ADA training. I had (decided) to burn 4 hours of AL because there were no cars (a common problem) when I got back from winter in-service. All that wasted money would be much better spend (IMHO) at the range or on equipment. I think a taser for everyone or PQC every month would be much better spent money and more practical.

                          Yes... that was on my review sheet.
                          sigpic

                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                          Trooper4985's official theme song

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                            I think a taser for everyone or PQC every month would be much better spent money and more practical.

                            Yes... that was on my review sheet.
                            I second that!!! How about rifles? Cops seem to be getting shot every other day, and we still don't have enough rifles on patrol.
                            I make my living on Irish welfare.

                            Comment


                            • all he wrote her for was the tints? too bad because you were probaby suspended !!!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                                All that wasted money would be much better spend (IMHO) at the range or on equipment. I think a taser for everyone or PQC every month would be much better spent money and more practical.

                                Yes... that was on my review sheet.
                                The money for the tasers came from the Trooper foundation (the state has no money for equipment for us). Division has come leaps and bounds with the in-service training. Non taser users need to be familiarized with the taser so they know what to do when a suspect has been tased (cuff and control).

                                The other familiarization is essential and that is all I am going to say about that on here.

                                What they need is more ground fighting as more and more of the youth want to be a 'cage fighters' and are training rigorously to accomplish this.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 9564 users online. 340 members and 9224 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X