Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I preferred alone (we only team up on mids). Go where I want, do what I want, and not have to worry/keep the other person awake and working correctly.

Required to double up on Turnpike, the Sgt thought he was being "clever" assigning me one of the shorties (5-8") in our squad. Which meant I had to drive all night since there would be no room if he/she moved the bench seat up so that he/she could reach the gad pedal. Would wait till it was raining/snowing and the kid had his/her raincoat on in the car, they would start to doze off, I would goose the car up to max speed and then hit the brakes hard, they would slide off the seat because the raincoat was slippery and down on the floor. ...

You have to take your fun where you can find it. After a few times the word got out and all the 'shorties' would buckle up when riding with me...

Comment

• http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ss_bill_a.html

Syracuse, NY -- John Gorke had served 19 years and nine months as a state trooper when he was killed in a bicycle accident on Route 20 in Pompey last July 3.

Just three more months of work would have qualified his widow and three teenage sons for the monthly pension benefits state troopers receive after 20 years of service. Instead, Leslie Gorke would receive a one-time death benefit of $167,000 but no pension.

The state Legislature voted to change the law to boost Gorke’s record to 20 years of service. The bill was sent Thursday to Gov. David Paterson for approval.

The new law would allow state police officers who die with enough unused vacation and sick time to reach 20 years to qualify for the pension benefits due a 20-year officer. The law would be retroactive to July 2, 2009, the day before Gorke died.

Gorke’s family now can expect to receive about $357,000 over time, according to Assemblyman Al Stirpe, D-North Syracuse.

The morning he died, Gorke, 47, was bicycling with a friend to warm up for a 12-hour Fourth of July shift on a marine unit on Oneida Lake. He was hit by a car driven by Charles W. Brewer, of Steuben County. Brewer was driving home from Boys State, an American Legion leadership convention at Morrisville State College. Gorke was pronounced dead at the scene.

Gorke had been assigned to work for the marine unit since 1995 and patrolled the canals and Oneida and Onondaga lakes in the summer and worked on the Thruway in the winter.

Stirpe said he met Leslie Gorke at her husband’s wake and told her to call if she needed help. Stirpe said both he and Gorke have children with disabilities. Gorke later called to say her husband was just short of qualifying for a pension, Stirpe said.

“It was just a tragedy,” Stirpe said. “He had three young kids and a wife and all of these expenses fast approaching, college tuition, and now she’s out there all by herself.”

Stirpe said he asked the state Assembly to change the law to help Gorke. The Assembly unanimously approved the bill Thursday. The Senate passed a matching bill, sponsored by Sen. Dave Valesky, D-Oneida, in June.

Stirpe said he has not heard about anyone else who would be helped by the bill and he hopes no one else falls into the same circumstances.

Dan Sisto, second vice president of the NYS Troopers PBA, praised the Legislature for helping a real family with a real problem after a tragic loss. “At such a difficult time to be in Albany, the ability of lawmakers to come together to support this measure is a testament to their hard work and dedication to the members of the NYS police,” Sisto said.

Comment

• Very good to see them do the right thing.
        Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• thanks for posting the follow up for that situation. I'll be honest, you reminded me about the whole thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
            [The state Legislature voted to change the law to boost Gorke’s record to 20 years of service. The bill was sent Thursday to Gov. David Paterson for approval.
            Now let's see what the Governor does with it.
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• How I'm spending the next 3 weeks

I hate not having the use of my left arm but at least I'm done with my shoulder popping out whenever it wants.

sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Ah, someone paid a visit to Dr. Summeroff...

Careful with that stuff! I know a LEO who lost his job after getting addicted to it!

Heal up and enjoy the time off.

Comment

• Comp finally approved the surgery for when I dislocated my shoulder 2X in one week during the 187th. After what I learned in DRE school and have seen in the general public... I'm kinda leery of three weeks of opiates. I got by with no real need for pain meds when I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled and I'm hoping to not need much of this stuff.
                  sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• That picture of the medication probably looks clear to you doesn't it?

Don't push your arm, the shoulder is a fickle b!tch.

M-11
                    “All men dream...... But not equally..
                    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

• crappy cell phone pic (too much work to get real digital camera out of the case with one arm) and I'm still not doped up yet because whatever antethetic they used on my shoulder still has my shoulder and arm still feeling like it is asleep. I will follow doc's orders and take 1 Oxy before I goto bed but I'm going to try to make it through tomorrow without taking anything and see how I feel.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• thats what i did when i had surgery on my guts.......i never took any pills, because no matter how much it hurt i thought it might hurt WORSE later and i would rather save them in case......ended up never taking any of them

Comment

• Ahhh shoulder problems, story of my life. Rest up!

Comment

• I had an RX for oxy when I had kidney surgery. I took a couple and started to feel like a crackhead, so I stopped taking it. It ended up being easier for me to just be miserable and in pain, than to sit around drooling on myself.
                            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                              I had an RX for oxy when I had kidney surgery. I took a couple and started to feel like a crackhead, so I stopped taking it. It ended up being easier for me to just be miserable and in pain, than to sit around drooling on myself.
                              I've seen too many people get messed up with that stuff. I'll stick to whiskey if I can, and skip the pills. Of course, there is still the problem with drooling. :-)
                              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Oxy

Any Doctor that prescribes OXY for minor pain management (which I rate any orthopedic surgery painwise), should be investigated.

Go to another Doctor, one that specializes in pain management if you feel it necessary.

Had shoulder surgery and the Dr prescribed Percocets. Took one, made me so dizzy, I flushed the rest away, had Wife buy a case of Bud long necks.

Problem solved...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11108 users online. 404 members and 10704 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X