300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All,

I am very new to this forum and I just wanted to introduce myself.

I prospect of being a trooper has always interested me very much. My background is as follows: BA Chemistry and current working title of Assistant director of Admissions (Secondary EDU/College).

I guess my first question to any current troopers is, what was your background prior to being a NYS Trooper, Other than doing well on the entrance exam, what other things to they look for in applicants?

Any info would be terrific.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raffles34 View Post
      Hello All,

I am very new to this forum and I just wanted to introduce myself.

I prospect of being a trooper has always interested me very much. My background is as follows: BA Chemistry and current working title of Assistant director of Admissions (Secondary EDU/College).

I guess my first question to any current troopers is, what was your background prior to being a NYS Trooper, Other than doing well on the entrance exam, what other things to they look for in applicants?

Any info would be terrific.
      i worked as an ikea schlub, stacking boxes on shelves.......they look for honest/responsible/reliable adults w/ life experience and clean backgrounds who show of propensity for making good decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
        Well, DOT is hiring. DOCS is hiring. So much for the hiring freeze.

I haven't heard anything about NYSP hiring, but I hope we do soon. It's hard to make new supervisors without making new Troopers. And when I look at my own zone, almost every supervisor is eligible to retire.
        nothing at all to back up my theory, but i just have a funny feeling that we will start hearing about a class sometime shortly after the end of the fiscal year.....april, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
          i worked as an ikea schlub, stacking boxes on shelves.......they look for honest/responsible/reliable adults w/ life experience and clean backgrounds who show of propensity for making good decisions.
          Thanks Dr. Peebody.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raffles34 View Post
            I was a deputy in another state for 4 years. Before that, I worked a variety of odd jobs, but was hired shortly after graduating college.
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Common Sense

More than academic titles Law Enforcement looks for people with common sense.

Like enough to read the 264 pages on this thread before posting questions that have been answered numerours times in detail.

As an aside; No matter your feelings Yeah or Nay for Governator Patterson, he has lowered the State payroll by 5 resignations this month !
              So that is closing in on 1 mill in salaries gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigWill2876 View Post
                As an aside; No matter your feelings Yeah or Nay for Governator Patterson, he has lowered the State payroll by 5 resignations this month !
                haha....now THATS how you make lemonade right there

Comment

More than academic titles Law Enforcement looks for people with common sense.

Like enough to read the 264 pages on this thread before posting questions that have been answered numerours times in detail.

lol. Good 1

Comment

• [QUOTE=SlowDownThere;2266954]Well, DOT is hiring. DOCS is hiring. So much for the hiring freeze.QUOTE]

Hmmm...I wonder how that works? Interesting...

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

• Upward and onward...

Plus look at all the promotions that will come along (when "they" can pay for the new guys).

A Sgt retires, just one promotion, a high mucky muck retires, it's up the ladder for a whole lot of guys...

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MJC999 View Post
                            Either the first class they put in at 2012 is going to be huge, or they are going to be doing two very large classes that year. Now tell me how does that save the state money in the long run?

Excellent question MJC.

Comment

• I get back to NY from baseball spring training in Florida only to be hit with this cold rainy crap! What is this I hear of it not getting out of the 30's Friday?! RIDICULOUS

Comment

• Hello All,

I introduced myself a while back, but am still quite new to this forum. I am pretty young at 24, and with many of your predictions for the next academy in 2012 I will still be a young 26. I was just wondering some of your ages and background experiences, ie: Law Enforcement, Politics, etc.... Thanks guys. You have all been really helpful.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6559 users online. 324 members and 6235 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X