Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you sir. I heard those changes were a possibility, but cant get any information from my recruiter. He is staying very tight lipped when I ask him about these types of things.

Stay Safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by VeeDubs86 View Post
      The Sunoco one at Beekman Rd. and 55? No; I'm not a 13 year old thug. Only they hang out in there. lol.
      You'd be suprised at who hangs out there...
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• You don't work for the BCI as an undercover posing as a 13 year old, do you? That would be the ultimate work assignment.
        Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• Thanks GrayState, that's what my understanding of it was. I read through the legislation with regards to section 381. I don't mind the 3% contributions, but if they upped retirement to 25 years I'd seriously rethink federal law enforcement.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
              Here are the Tier V details:
              Minimum Years of Service: 20
              Pension Contribution: 3% (change from none in Tier 2)
              Years to vest: 10 (change from 5 years in Tier 2)

The original proposed Tier V had 25 years of service minimum and age 55 minimum to retire, but those changes did not make it through to the final version.
              While this is still a VERY good retirement... it is just one more little kick in the man parts to all of us here who were just short of making the last class to get in under the Jan 9, 2010 deadline for tier 2.

Comment

• I'm going to Vero Beach for baseball! Enjoy the snow ladies and gents

Comment

• Originally posted by thefirm5 View Post
                  While this is still a VERY good retirement... it is just one more little kick in the man parts to all of us here who were just short of making the last class to get in under the Jan 9, 2010 deadline for tier 2.
                  I have to agree with you on that. It's tough waiting for something to happen especially after processing. I read the news constantly about the budget. Late last spring I had a job offer on the table with Border Patrol (just after the March processing with NYSP.) It looked like another academy was imminent and I didn't take the BP offer . A year later I kind of regret my decision, but I still believe strongly that NYSP is ultimately where I want to be.

With that being said, I think with the way the economy is today and the future financial outlays of NY state in particular, I think it's fair to contribute.

Comment

• Originally posted by Academy2010? View Post
                    I have to agree with you on that. It's tough waiting for something to happen especially after processing. I read the news constantly about the budget. Late last spring I had a job offer on the table with Border Patrol (just after the March processing with NYSP.) It looked like another academy was imminent and I didn't take the BP offer . A year later I kind of regret my decision, but I still believe strongly that NYSP is ultimately where I want to be.

With that being said, I think with the way the economy is today and the future financial outlays of NY state in particular, I think it's fair to contribute.
                    Why didn't you take the BP man, that is a good job if you get the right location. I live about 2 minutes from one of their barracks and those guys don't do anything. I am sure this is very rare but this location has to be the easiest job out there.
                    But you should have jumped on that since the NYSP is no where near 100% guaranted.

Anyways back to the retirement, I have no problem with the contributions, I already contribute 6% to a 401k so 3% would be no big deal.

When did you go to processing Academy2010?

Comment

• BP is a good job, pays well also, but I believe the current hiring for the Northern border requires you to spend the first 18 months on the SW border. I would think the knowledge you would gain down there is unparalleled, but once you come back up North it isn't quite the same job. In Buffalo & Niagara Falls you mostly see them parked off at the side of the road near the lake/river.

Comment

• I deferred on the September 2008 processing due to active duty, and went in March. Finished with the BI/Poly in late Spring. I think when the next BP test comes back up I'm going to take it again. I know my oral board is good for 3 years. If I knew it was going to be such a long wait for NYSP I would have taken the BP job. I just didn't think it was fair to spend 5 months training for them just to jump ship within a year. Now I could already have been with them almost a year and probably get at least another one in before I even have a chance at NYSP. At the end of the day, I'd still rather be a Trooper though.

Comment

• Stay safe out there tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Academy2010? View Post
                            I deferred on the September 2008 processing due to active duty, and went in March. Finished with the BI/Poly in late Spring. I think when the next BP test comes back up I'm going to take it again. I know my oral board is good for 3 years. If I knew it was going to be such a long wait for NYSP I would have taken the BP job. I just didn't think it was fair to spend 5 months training for them just to jump ship within a year. Now I could already have been with them almost a year and probably get at least another one in before I even have a chance at NYSP. At the end of the day, I'd still rather be a Trooper though.
                            Yeah, if only we could have seen the future.

Its interesting to hear that you have already finished the BI and poly. I processed in Sept 08 and still haven't made it to that point. I did my psych meeting and thats where I have been waiting now for a year and half...

Comment

• Originally posted by thefirm5 View Post
                              Yeah, if only we could have seen the future.

Its interesting to hear that you have already finished the BI and poly. I processed in Sept 08 and still haven't made it to that point. I did my psych meeting and thats where I have been waiting now for a year and half...
                              Not everything the state does makes sense

On a side note, the best advice I heard came from a Trooper at the processing. He said "Process, forget about it and keep living your life. You'll get called for more processing, show up and do it, and forget about it. Keep living your life."

It's definitely a long process. All things worthwhile usually are though.

Comment

• When does the list for this trooper exam expire? I know they've cancelled classes this year, so chances are getting slimmer of getting on each day I suppose. Thanks and stay safe!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10764 users online. 488 members and 10276 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X