Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've seen the Explorers around the Academy.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by phoenix23
      Thanks for the update. It sounds like your recruiter told you that they're appointing positions for the July class based on your test number (provided you've finished your testing). My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the people who originally did their medicals for the January class will have to do their medicals again (provided their test number is actually reached) for the July class.

      I remember hearing a while back that if there is something like a 6 month gap between the time you took your medical and the academy they will make you take it again. As long as you have been taking care of yourself you should be fine. They also do a quick background check again to make sure you haven't been arrested since then or anything bad popped up that they missed the first time around.
      sigpic
      IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

      Comment


      • Deleted By User
        Last edited by ATrooper2b; 02-23-2008, 12:52 PM.
        sigpic
        IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ATrooper2b
          Don't call human resources in Albany, as they have never been any help with info. They constantly tell you they don't know to cover their butts. Call the Albany recruiter Tpr. Cepiel at (518) 783-3285 he will give you the real deal. He's a great guy and very helpful. Be courteous and he will answer any questions you have. So far everything he told me happened when he said it would.
          Thanks for the info!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SlowDownThere
            KP: I wasn't aware the NYSP had an Explorer's Post. Is this at Division HQ?
            What do you do there?

            SDT
            SDT,

            As far as I know there are 3 to 5 posts as well as ours. We are based out of Albany at the Academy, so yes it would be HQ. I know there is one in SP Batavia as well. I am not sure where the others are located. We pretty much do everything a law enforcement professional would do, more specifically what troopers do. We go on ride-alongs after completing a certification program of PL, CPL, and VTL. We also have to perform basic skills a trooper would before we are certified. I have been on numerous ride alongs and love every minute of it. I was also Captain of the post for 1 1/2 years. We are sort of recruits in a way but without the screaming and mental stress.

            KP
            Last edited by FUTURETPR; 04-11-2007, 09:55 PM.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • Originally posted by FUTURETPRKP
              SDT,

              As far as I know there are 3 to 5 posts as well as ours. We are based out of Albany at the Academy, so yes it would be HQ. I know there is one in SP Batavia as well. I am not sure where the others are located. We pretty much do everything a law enforcement professional would do, more specifically what troopers do. We go on ride-alongs after completing a certification program of PL, CPL, and VTL. We also have to perform basic skills a trooper would before we are certified. I have been on numerous ride alongs and love every minute of it. I was also Captain of the post for 1 1/2 years. We are sort of recruits in a way but without the screaming and mental stress.

              KP
              Wow, all of this is news to me. Never heard anything about the program.
              I no longer get to Albany very often, however, just a few times a year.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

              Comment


              • DQ Appeal?

                Wondered if anyone could help me out. I got DQ'd awhile back and was told by everyone that this was pretty much it. I wrote a letter to the member hiring unit, to which I got a reply stating, "no further consideration will be given your application, as the decision rendered is final." "If you elect, you may contact us to schedule a personal interview regarding your disqualification."
                Can anyone tell me what this means and involves? Is there any chance I could say something in this meeting that would change the situation?

                Its been said on this site before that everyone has a pretty good idea why they were disqualified. I had one bump in the road over 10 years ago, but have an exceptionally clean background otherwise. I am confused, because I talked to a friend who is a BI, who tells me he's seen guys get in that shouldn't and vice versa. Thanks. Any information is appreciated.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by monj06
                  Wondered if anyone could help me out. I got DQ'd awhile back and was told by everyone that this was pretty much it. I wrote a letter to the member hiring unit, to which I got a reply stating, "no further consideration will be given your application, as the decision rendered is final." "If you elect, you may contact us to schedule a personal interview regarding your disqualification."
                  Can anyone tell me what this means and involves? Is there any chance I could say something in this meeting that would change the situation?

                  Its been said on this site before that everyone has a pretty good idea why they were disqualified. I had one bump in the road over 10 years ago, but have an exceptionally clean background otherwise. I am confused, because I talked to a friend who is a BI, who tells me he's seen guys get in that shouldn't and vice versa. Thanks. Any information is appreciated.
                  From what I know of the proscess, that meeting is just for them to give you a general idea of why you were DQ'ed, i.e. dishonesty, psych test, etc... they DO NOT give you a specific reason and you are not going to change Divisions decision as the letter said the decision is final.

                  I too have seen guys that shouldn't be in the academy (and make it out on to the road) get a job, and guys who should get a job not get one. Changing Division's mind is, based on my 5 short years of experience, not going to happen. If you don't mind me asking... what was your 'bump in the road' and how far through the proscessing did you make it before getting DQed? A lot of this job is not about not screwing up but being honest when you do screw up no matter how small you think the even or the likelyhood of your dishonesty being discovered. I was in the academy with guys who had DWI arrests when they were very young but had to wait ~10 years before proscessing and for most that makes them too old to proscess.

                  Sorry to sound negative but I don't sugar coat things... and I've got some paperwork in my file because "I'm too blunt" sometimes
                  sigpic

                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                  Trooper4985's official theme song

                  Comment


                  • PAT weight/height scale...

                    Does anyone know (who has been to a PAT) if the weight and height scale they send you in the mail with your PAT letter shows the weight you have to be for your height or is it just a guide line. For example:my height 5'10" it says I should be around 170lbs for a large frame person. I am considered large frame and weigh approx. 203lbs, but I am solid with very little fat. Being muscle is heavier than fat would this be a problem when I attend the PAT? Recruiters told me it's not a problem as they will do a fat caliper pinch test and if I am under 22% body fat I will be okay. Anyone who has been to a PAT and knows how they treat people in my category, I would appreciate any info you can provide.

                    Also, anyone else taking the PAT in May?

                    Thanx,
                    Bob
                    sigpic
                    IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ATrooper2b
                      Does anyone know (who has been to a PAT) if the weight and height scale they send you in the mail with your PAT letter shows the weight you have to be for your height or is it just a guide line. For example:my height 5'10" it says I should be around 170lbs for a large frame person. I am considered large frame and weigh approx. 203lbs, but I am solid with very little fat. Being muscle is heavier than fat would this be a problem when I attend the PAT? Recruiters told me it's not a problem as they will do a fat caliper pinch test and if I am under 22% body fat I will be okay. Anyone who has been to a PAT and knows how they treat people in my category, I would appreciate any info you can provide.

                      Also, anyone else taking the PAT in May?

                      Thanx,
                      Bob
                      They will measure your height and weigh you, if you fall outside of the guidelines they will pull you aside to measure body fat. I can't remember how critical they were at the processing weekend, but they do measure you again at the final medical review. I didn't have to have the caliper test either time, but that's what I saw.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ATrooper2b
                        Does anyone know (who has been to a PAT) if the weight and height scale they send you in the mail with your PAT letter shows the weight you have to be for your height or is it just a guide line. For example:my height 5'10" it says I should be around 170lbs for a large frame person. I am considered large frame and weigh approx. 203lbs, but I am solid with very little fat. Being muscle is heavier than fat would this be a problem when I attend the PAT? Recruiters told me it's not a problem as they will do a fat caliper pinch test and if I am under 22% body fat I will be okay. Anyone who has been to a PAT and knows how they

                        Bob
                        The put all the fat people in a really lage Sauna and make them jump rope until they lose the weight. Throughout this ordeal they are pointing and laughing rubbing donuts in their faces... It is a disturbing sight to see...

                        Don't worry about your weight you are fine. I was 6' 203lbs and I think I was 14 pounds over?!?!? They may give you the cailiper test which takes a few seconds and then you are back in line with all the skinny folk...

                        Comment


                        • Thanx for the info guys. Most of the recruiters I talked to said don't worry unless your a big out of shape fatty. They also said that if you can pass all of the PAT events you will most likely be accepted. I really don't wanna go into that sauna as Gray Patriot said, but I'll take that donut either way .

                          Bob
                          sigpic
                          IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

                          Comment


                          • Another question from the pre-newbie...

                            Anyone know what the deal is with your finances when they do the background check? If you have excellent credit but some unpaid credit cards does it matter or do they prefer not to see any credit card debt. I ask because I have a couple of credit cards that have 0% APR and are gradually being paid off until the APR expires where they will be paid in full. Is this going to be a problem for me? If so, I can pay them off now to avoid this problem. So, basically my question is... Do they just care about your credit score or your score and how much outstanding debt you have?

                            Thanx,
                            Bob
                            sigpic
                            IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ATrooper2b
                              Anyone know what the deal is with your finances when they do the background check? If you have excellent credit but some unpaid credit cards does it matter or do they prefer not to see any credit card debt. I ask because I have a couple of credit cards that have 0% APR and are gradually being paid off until the APR expires where they will be paid in full. Is this going to be a problem for me? If so, I can pay them off now to avoid this problem. So, basically my question is... Do they just care about your credit score or your score and how much outstanding debt you have?

                              Thanx,
                              Bob
                              I doubt it will be a problem. I have a large debt beyond my mortgage and I didn't have any issues. From what I gathered, the biggest concerns were problems making your payments on anything (credit cards, house, car, utilities...) or defaulting on loans. If you do have considerable debt, they may ask you what caused it (student loans, medical expenses....bought 5000 really cool t-shirts), but aside from the t-shirt purchases I don't think they'll care.

                              I am not a BI or a trooper. I can just tell you my experience thus far. Anyone else have better info?

                              Comment


                              • I wouldn't foresee that as being a big hurdle. As long as you aren't delinquent on payments and have a decent credit score, it shouldn't be an issue. Those zero percent balance transfers can be useful, especially if you find ones without fees
                                The only concern over my credit was that I had too little debt.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 7685 users online. 370 members and 7315 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X