300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick331 View Post
    I'm working out with a major league club as well as my college team. I'm pretty big now, doesn't muscle outweigh fat!? Ridiculous.
    If you are over what the chart says you have to beat the calipers. 5'10" and 210lbs, benching 350lbs and squatting 1000lbs... no one will bat a lash. 5'10" and can't do 10 pushups... better have a new dream. Plenty of guys go in jacked and way over what the chart says.

If you get appointed in that shape... expect to loose some mass and strength because you aren't in the gym 7 days a week for the 6 months. One of the guys I went to HS with and graduated with lost ~20lbs (IIRC - 7+ years ago) of muscle mass over the 6 months.
    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Njsp

Maybe I should have mentioned that my Dad went into NJSP academy at 280 so he basically lost 25 pounds during the training.

He always says that most of the meals were so bad that he ate 2 PBJ for breakfast, 2 for lunch (especially is boxing class was right after), and 3 for dinner. Never was a fan of chipped beef on toast(poop on a shingle), the common lunch.

Couldn't lift much at the end, but could run forever...

Comment

• If you don't meet H/W chart they will put you on the BF scale. Each age-H/W group has an associated tolerance for BF%. While I didn't see anyone specifically rejected. I wouldn't assume Division to accept someone grossly out of H/W-BF% standards, but like Trooper4985 said, if you come in heavy but are in obviously good shape they aren't going to send you packing.
        As far as my experience, Expect to loose size and mass while at the academy. The PT does not emphasize size and bulk. Toward the end you will be allowed access to the weight room if you make honors PT. Don't expect to get 2 hours a day in the gym though. It's more like 30 minutes twice a week if you are lucky.

I went in @ 5'11" - 195# and left @ 180#
        One of my roommates came in 6'2"-260# jacked and left in the 240s

You are in control of your calories, however, the food is bad. PB&J is a staple, so are hard boiled eggs in the AM (when someone remembers to make them).

And yes, you run, a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by arls116 View Post
          One of my roommates came in 6'2"-260# jacked and left in the 240s
          I think he's getting bigger.

I ate everything. Graduated the same height/weight I was when I went in: 6'1, 185 lbs.
          Last edited by reils49; 10-28-2009, 01:57 PM.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• So heres a question for anyone with the knowledge am I sure everyone already knows the answer, but I have to ask because I got into a conversation last night with a buddy of mine who I havent seen in a while.

We started off talking because I just picked up a new truck for plowing, during the convo he asked me how the state police thing was going. I told him everything I went through and then went on to tell him that the only issue is the fact that there is no money for a new class, and the budget is killing me. Heres where the convo got a little interesting.

He went on to tell me that he knows a guy who is currently a sheriff with a local PD, that had just went into the trooper academy several weeks ago, i informed him that it couldnt be true because as far as i knew the academy was shut down. However he insisted the guy he knew was currently invited to the academy. I dont know if he just got his story mixed up or if we got a little bit of the old telephone game going on where stories change as they travel from mouth to mouth.

With that being said has anyone heard anything that could possibly suggest his story is accurate? I told him several times it couldnt be possible but he was pretty sure which in turn put some doubt in my own mind.

Comment

• quick answer....not true, academy is shut down.....

Comment

• quick answer....not true, academy is shut down.....

Comment

• Maybe true if he is going through specialized training different from the recruit academy, right?
                    Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• The NYSP Academy host's numerous agencies for in service training courses (i.e. DWI, Commercial Vehicle, Active Shooter, etc.). These are seperate from the NYSP Academy Basic School (a.k.a. Trooper Academy), which as Cadetlinux said "is shut down". I would take his word for it, he's got a hook
                      Last edited by reils49; 10-29-2009, 09:27 AM.
                      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Interesting...

Just thought the guys waiting would find this interesting... I was reading through the 2008 Annual Report that is on the NYSP website, not the NYTrooper.com and found these stats for the member hiring. Most of it means nothing, but I just thought the # at both sessions and # of backgrounds was interesting....

Conducted Trooper Candidate Processing
                        in September in preparation for the Winter
                        2008 Basic School.
                        A total of 458 Trooper candidates
                        attended both sessions, resulting
                        in the initiation of 276 background
                        investigations.
                        Additionally, 45 background investigation
                        updates were conducted for candidates
                        who were processed but not reached for
                        the Academy class held in April.

During 2008, recruitment efforts resulted
                        in 27,963 candidates applying to take the
                        examinations.

More than 19,000 applicants took the
                        entrance examination, with 15,677
                        successfully passing.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                          I learned to love PB&J at the academy and I still have a PB&J regularly. I don't think I had eaten one since 5th grade prior to the academy hahah.

I eat PBJ almost every day for breakfast. Whole wheat toast, nice big glass of milk. MMMMMMmmmmm. De lish!
                          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Between PB&J and hardboiled eggs, the flatulence in the academy quads must be epic.
                            Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• Originally posted by VeeDubs86 View Post
                              Between PB&J and hardboiled eggs, the flatulence in the academy quads must be epic.
                              Man, I pity the person that would have to live with me if I make it

I do remember someone on here apologizing to someone for them having to stand down wind every morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                                I eat PBJ almost every day for breakfast. Whole wheat toast, nice big glass of milk. MMMMMMmmmmm. De lish!
                                Substitute that with chocolate milk and it sounds good. Regular milk is nasty, no offense SDT!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7564 users online. 387 members and 7177 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X