Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beatcop10 View Post
    http://www.chevycapriceppv.com/#home

thats right the chevy caprice is back...
    I'm definately not a Chevy fanboy but if it performs and will stand up to a crash like the CV will, I would give it a try.

I know some senior guys rave about the old bubble caprice because it had some balls (260 HP?) and still handled. I have higher standards though. I want to see a caprice wadded up (rolled ~6X at high speed like out in Troop A last year) and the guys who were in it walk away or at least make it through the crash with non-life threatening injuries.

I hate the CVPI from a performance aspect... it has the same powerplant that my Mustang GT has but my old bone stock 2004 V6 mustang could run circles around a CVPI. On the other hand... I've been in, and seen a few CVPI's that have come in contact with some pretty hard, stationary things and the car did what it was supposed to... protect the occupants. Sure there are crashes that just aren't survivable no matter what you're in short of an Abrams M1A2 but I'd take better chances of surviving a crash versus a cool looking car and 6.0L motor.
    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• This car is tried and true as a police vehicle in Australia where it's the Holden Commodore. I also own the civilian version of this, a Pontiac G8 GT, and can tell you the 6.0L, suspension, and braking, would probably help avoid a few accidents that the CVPI is not capable of avoiding.

With the CVPI ending production in 2011 (Ford's most recent change of mind as they want to promote the Ford Taurus as the next police vehicle) I think the Caprice stands a very fair chance of becoming our next patrol vehicle. It's RWD where as the Ford is not. Switching to a FWD vehicle would cost a ton of money as in service EVOC would have to be held for liability purposes.

I have my fingers crossed.

Comment

• In the city we currently have crown vics and impalas as the main fleet... crown vics are great and reliable cars suspension can hold up and it has balls, the only crown vics that are interceptors are with our highway unit but even the regular ones are good... the impalas are the biggest pieces of crap ever made.. they are too small can barely fit a cage and the suspension and tranny are crap... they cannot withstand city streets and are usually garbage at 15-20k miles. We also have an altima in my command but i wont even get started on that! I will deeply miss the CV but I hope and pray that the caprice is as good as im told the old one was.. and can replace the POS impala!

Comment

crown vics are great and reliable cars suspension can hold up and it has balls
          I'd like to know what version of the CV you guys have that reportedly has some balls... I guess if your used to a honda civic putting out 197 hp and 139 tq then the anemic 240 hp and 290 tq crown vic feels like it pulls like a raped ape but once you try to run down a 100+ on the highway you will have a very diffrent opinion about just how big the CVPI's balls really are.

As for the G8... I've ridden in one and yes it does feel strong but but it doesn't feel like what I think 400 hp 420 tq would feel like. I guess I wont be happy till we are all cruising to complaints in Vette's.

Last edited by Trooper4985; 10-07-2009, 09:49 AM.
          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• only the g8 GXP puts up those numbers. My GT is around 350 but it pulls a bit harder than my stock GTO did. I'd rather have a vette for patrol too but yhe caprice is head and shoulders above the other optioms in performance, including the charger.

Comment

• Speed

How about something like this for speed?
              Attached Files

Comment

• What are the troopers opinions on here of the Tahoe's and chargers?

Comment

• First and for most good luck to all the applicants for State Police. I'm going though the process as we speak. I took the poly a few weeks ago, and I know I did well since I never got a letter. Plus I think if they want to get rid of me I would have received a letter. So stay in there.
                  NCPD-93.813
                  NYSP-94.643 Ranked 1,8XX
                  Passed The Weekend Processing
                  SCPD-89.7
                  PAPD-PASSED AND WAITING
                  NYPD-PASSED

Comment

What are the troopers opinions on here of the Tahoe's and chargers?
                    Tahoe's are not police vehicles... they are utility vehicles and should be used as such for things like the monthly supply run to Troop and towing "The Convincer". I don't care how much you lower the tahoe... it is not meant to weave through traffic chasing down the 98 that blew past you on the other side of the median. I've seen a few tahoes up on 2 wheels... not something I've seen a CV do. The tahoe is also not meant to fly through back country roads while running to get to another Trooper who is calling for help. I will not drive the tahoes we have at the station... I will take the oldest, most beaten up, tired CV or I will take the desk but I will not drive a tahoe.

The charger that we had for a week proved to handle much better than the CV and of course could wind up to 100 before the CV hit 80 so it was as awesome car for the night I got to drive it. I'm sure if I had one for a couple of months I could find things I didn't like about it but for now I can say that it seemed like a very good car with the exception of the trunk. The trunk is not big enough for a Trooper. We have to carry so much extra crap, I mean equipment, with us that the trunk in the charger did not seem adequate.
                    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• I have the same feelings on the Tahoe, but it seems I always get stuck with one. I hate driving it at high speeds because of the body roll on turns and winding roads. The new Tahoe is much better IMO but I'd still rather be in a CV.

The seats in the Tahoe give me a back ache also lol.

Comment

• I love my '06 Tahoe with a million miles on it! I like the leg room compared to a crown vic. I like sitting higher than a car, so I can look into peoples windows. It may not be a pursuit vehicle, but Im rarely pursuing anyone. My rig will haul ***** to calls when needed, take a corner at very reasonable speeds, and it'll run a violator down pretty quick too...just don't drive like a clown.

If only I had radar
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by DubyaSTI View Post
                          I hate driving it at high speeds because of the body roll on turns and winding roads.
                          I love it! Its reminds me of flying in a helicopter
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• I need some Tprs opinions on this. I was driving down Rt 20 doing the speed limit in the right hand lane and came up on a car doing abou 30. I check my blind spots and get ready to pass. I didn't push my blinker down all the way but that doesn't mean it won't still go on. Blah blah blah, pass him and get back into the right lane signaling that lane change as well next thing I know a Trooper flys up on my rear with his lights on. Pull over immediately to a safe location for the Trooper and myself. He initiated contact told me why he was stopping me, I explained what I did. He asked how my record was, pretty much spotless with one parking on pavement. He then went back to his car and wrote me the cite. As he approached again he gave me my options and kind of stressed the fact about pleading not guilty and talking to the DA. It was a pretty harmless offense with little to no traffic at the time. Should I go and fight it? I really don't want 3 points on my license. Maybe it's just me I think it's a bit ridiculous. I respect him for doing his job and everything don't get me wrong. I know for a fact I signaled when I changed lanes, I didn't push my turn signal down all the way until it clicked. I'm just a bit confused and upset about it. Not trying to be another this ticket is BS kind of guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick331 View Post
                              I need some Tprs opinions on this. I was driving down Rt 20 doing the speed limit in the right hand lane and came up on a car doing abou 30. I check my blind spots and get ready to pass. I didn't push my blinker down all the way but that doesn't mean it won't still go on. Blah blah blah, pass him and get back into the right lane signaling that lane change as well next thing I know a Trooper flys up on my rear with his lights on. Pull over immediately to a safe location for the Trooper and myself. He initiated contact told me why he was stopping me, I explained what I did. He asked how my record was, pretty much spotless with one parking on pavement. He then went back to his car and wrote me the cite. As he approached again he gave me my options and kind of stressed the fact about pleading not guilty and talking to the DA. It was a pretty harmless offense with little to no traffic at the time. Should I go and fight it? I really don't want 3 points on my license. Maybe it's just me I think it's a bit ridiculous. I respect him for doing his job and everything don't get me wrong. I know for a fact I signaled when I changed lanes, I didn't push my turn signal down all the way until it clicked. I'm just a bit confused and upset about it. Not trying to be another this ticket is BS kind of guy.
                              I take it you got a ticket for not using your turn signal?!?

Are you sure you turn signal is functioning properly? Did he check this?

What the Trooper was telling you was you can almost always get a reduction through the DA's office. Google the county you were issued a ticket in and contact the DA's office -- They might even have a direct line or a page dedicated to tickets on their website which explains what you need to do; Usually send a copy of your driving abstract and a "cry me a river" letter explaining your case.

After all you surely didn't get a ticket for actually parking on the pavement last time now did you? That is the typical reduction, which is a fine and no points.

Best of luck. Watch out for those Troopers out there

Comment

• I know the process with State Police tickets has changed and everything, but do you still have the right to a supporting deposition? If so, my advice would be to waive that right. Nobody likes paperwork. Oh and prosecutors love that revolving door so they will work with you.
                                Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7738 users online. 394 members and 7344 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X