Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    RIP

    Travis Capen was a real good guy and a tremendous athlete. He ran a 7:56 for the 1.5 mile in our academy and if memory serves me well he was active duty in 11B in FT Drum (Maybe 1/32 - my unit) and Alaska. I ran into his father a few years back and he was a real nice guy too.

    Thoughts and prayers with the family and friends.

    http://www.pressrepublican.com/break...225134557.html

    Trooper killed in midday crash


    By ANDREA VanVALKENBURG
    Staff Writer

    PERU — Area law-enforcement are mourning the death of one of their own, killed in a motorcycle crash Thursday.

    Trooper Travis Capen was off-duty midday Thursday when he rode his bike through the intersection of Dashnaw and Lapham Mills roads and was struck by an oncoming car.

    After a preliminary investigation, State Police believe the other driver, Michael Keenan, 61, of Peru, was driving his Chevy Impala north on Dashnaw Road around 11 a.m., when he stopped at the stop sign and pulled into the intersection.

    Police said Keenan didn’t see the eastbound motorcyclist when he pulled into the road and smashed into Capen’s 1999 Suzuki.

    Capen, a 29-year-old local father, suffered extensive injuries when he was thrown from his bike.

    Both drivers were taken by ambulance to CVPH Medical Center in Plattsburgh, where Capen was pronounced dead on arrival.

    Keenan was later listed in stable condition.

    The notorious intersection —the site of several serious accidents in the past — was blocked for several hours Thursday afternoon as authorities continued their investigation.

    Capen had been on the force since 2005 and resided in Morrisonville with his wife and young children.

    He was most often on highway patrol based out of the State Police station in Valcour, Capt. Robert LaFountain said.

    Capen was also head varsity wrestling coach at AuSable Valley High School and was active with his team throughout the year.

    He was a graduate of AVCS, where he had been a member of the wrestling team.

    After the crash, Troop B Commander Maj. Richard C. Smith Jr. called Capen’s death a tragic loss.

    “On behalf of all New York State Police members and civilian personnel, I would like to extend my condolences to the family of Travis A. Capen, who proudly served the Division of State Police since 2005,” Smith said in a statement.

    “He was a dedicated public servant, and this is a great loss to our organization and the community Trooper Capen served. ”
    Sad. Very sad.

    Any word on the services?
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
      RIP

      Travis Capen was a real good guy and a tremendous athlete. He ran a 7:56 for the 1.5 mile in our academy and if memory serves me well he was active duty in 11B in FT Drum (Maybe 1/32 - my unit) and Alaska. I ran into his father a few years back and he was a real nice guy too.

      Thoughts and prayers with the family and friends.
      Another senseless off duty death and one more reason I keep putting off buying a Nightster... One of the guys in my zone (out of the 193rd) is out for a couple of months after a bike accident.

      Originally posted by NY117 View Post
      I understand what your saying, but the 09-10' budget includes a 6 million dollar increase for SP. The year before that they took a 67 million dollar decrease and still ran academies. WHo knows what that money is going towards, but I guess we will wait and see...I wish an official word would be said one way or another
      I think I know what that $6M increase is for and it's not for push-ups and bed making. I think that money was "spent" a year ago.
      Last edited by Trooper4985; 08-14-2009, 01:34 AM.
      sigpic

      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

      Trooper4985's official theme song

      Comment


      • As far as I'm concerned official word was sent out back in march for those updates and the tentetivley schedualed fall 09 . I don't think the nysp are trying to keep secrets from us. If the academy was officialy shutdown it would be made public just like when nypd canceled theirs

        Comment


        • Originally posted by acap View Post
          As far as I'm concerned official word was sent out back in march for those updates and the tentetivley schedualed fall 09 . I don't think the nysp are trying to keep secrets from us. If the academy was officialy shutdown it would be made public just like when nypd canceled theirs

          You really are a glass is half full kinda guy...

          From reading all of the previous posts by guys on the job, who have been pretty right about most things, I think the academy is closed for a while.

          Even in your post "tentatively scheduled fall 09" the key word is tentatively...

          ten·ta·tive (tnt-tv)
          adj.
          1. Not fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on; provisional: tentative plans.
          2. Uncertain; hesitant.

          I am ranked in the 600's, which means I would probably be in consideration for the next academy, and I am still waiting to hear from a BI (and I know of others that are also in the same situation). just an FYI.
          Last edited by thefirm5; 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM.

          Comment


          • RIP

            Travis Capen was a real good guy and a tremendous athlete. He ran a 7:56 for the 1.5 mile in our academy and if memory serves me well he was active duty in 11B in FT Drum (Maybe 1/32 - my unit) and Alaska. I ran into his father a few years back and he was a real nice guy too.

            Thoughts and prayers with the family and friends.

            http://www.pressrepublican.com/break...225134557.html

            Trooper killed in midday crash


            RIP

            Comment


            • Originally posted by thefirm5 View Post
              You really are a glass is half full kinda guy...

              From reading all of the previous posts by guys on the job, who have been pretty right about most things, I think the academy is closed for a while.

              Even in your post "tentatively scheduled fall 09" the key word is tentatively...

              ten·ta·tive (tnt-tv)
              adj.
              1. Not fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on; provisional: tentative plans.
              2. Uncertain; hesitant.

              I am ranked in the 600's, which means I would probably be in consideration for the next academy, and I am still waiting to hear from a BI (and I know of others that are also in the same situation). just an FYI.
              All I'm saying is my point of view that an official letter was sent out. They have to say tentatively because everything is subject to change.there's a lot of rumors going around about no academy and if there isnt then there isnt but a letter or a website post has not been made yet saying there is no academy.and what does your rank on the test have anything to do with what I said.. your in the 600s with no bi yet. I'm in the 500s with everything completed ,so what.I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. I'm just stating my opinion if no one is with me that's fine. Just hoping for the best.

              Comment


              • And to just throw another one out there. This charge nurse I work with in the hospital. Her sonis a trooper and I asked if she would ask himwhat the deal was with the academy. And shejust got back to me and what he said was this. That they did pull out the academy staff but only for the summer. They will be brought back to start an academy late october or early november...I also heard from another source who knows a bi personally that there will be a october academy but I'm not getting into it because I know someone on this forum is going to dump on me already saying the opposite. Just stating what I heard

                Comment


                • Originally posted by acap View Post
                  All I'm saying is my point of view that an official letter was sent out. They have to say tentatively because everything is subject to change.there's a lot of rumors going around about no academy and if there isnt then there isnt but a letter or a website post has not been made yet saying there is no academy.and what does your rank on the test have anything to do with what I said.. your in the 600s with no bi yet. I'm in the 500s with everything completed ,so what.I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. I'm just stating my opinion if no one is with me that's fine. Just hoping for the best.
                  I am not saying you are trying to prove people wrong, I am not saying your opinion is wrong and I am not trying to put you down in any way. Don't take a post on a forum personally, the glass half full thing was just saying you are very optimistic.

                  What I am saying is that the Troopers are not the fastest at posting updates. Also I was stating my rank and situation because if they were to have a fall class I would think that they would be working on getting BIs and other things done since they typically process 10 for each spot, and they were into the 400's for the last academy. I am just as hopeful as you are, but from what I am hearing and has been posted on here, it looks like the academy is shut down for a while. SDT posted a few days back that he didn't think they would be having another academy until the new fiscal year. He was speculating, but I have heard this from several other guys on the job.

                  I am just as hopeful that the academy is this fall because I would like to be going into it (would like more to be coming out of it), but it just looks like most of the signs are pointing to there not being one for a while.

                  Comment


                  • Even though I am ranked above 11k on the state police list (and probably have a slim-to-none chance at getting contacted), I know how you guys feel. I'm currently in the process of applying to law schools and waiting on decisions from a few. I'm waiting for the big envelopes to come in the mail as opposed to the small ones and it is getting extremely nerve racking.

                    Realistic candidates for the NYSP need to realize that much, if not all, of the process is out of their hands. I'm still having difficulty with this waiting stuff in my own matter, but I realize I gotta calm down. I know it is easier said than done but all I can recommend is doing things that may make you a better candidate.

                    I'm not certain if the NYSP vetting process pays as much attention to public/community service as law schools do, but I don't imagine it hurting. It also creates an opportunity to have your mind focused on something else. If you are still in college, play a sport to stay active; as well as to be a member of a team. I imagine that this would also be beneficial in the vetting process.

                    Although I am pursuing other options, I would be honored for the opportunity to wear the gray and purple. I have the utmost respect for all of you and wish you all luck in your future endeavors. Stay smart, stay safe.
                    Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

                    Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

                    New York State Police

                    Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by VeeDubs86 View Post
                      Even though I am ranked above 11k on the state police list (and probably have a slim-to-none chance at getting contacted), I know how you guys feel. I'm currently in the process of applying to law schools and waiting on decisions from a few. I'm waiting for the big envelopes to come in the mail as opposed to the small ones and it is getting extremely nerve racking.

                      Realistic candidates for the NYSP need to realize that much, if not all, of the process is out of their hands. I'm still having difficulty with this waiting stuff in my own matter, but I realize I gotta calm down. I know it is easier said than done but all I can recommend is doing things that may make you a better candidate.

                      I'm not certain if the NYSP vetting process pays as much attention to public/community service as law schools do, but I don't imagine it hurting. It also creates an opportunity to have your mind focused on something else. If you are still in college, play a sport to stay active; as well as to be a member of a team. I imagine that this would also be beneficial in the vetting process.

                      Although I am pursuing other options, I would be honored for the opportunity to wear the gray and purple. I have the utmost respect for all of you and wish you all luck in your future endeavors. Stay smart, stay safe.
                      Thanks VDUB,
                      Good luck to you as well.

                      Comment


                      • Optimism..

                        Originally posted by acap View Post
                        And to just throw another one out there. This charge nurse I work with in the hospital. Her sonis a trooper and I asked if she would ask himwhat the deal was with the academy. And shejust got back to me and what he said was this. That they did pull out the academy staff but only for the summer. They will be brought back to start an academy late october or early november...I also heard from another source who knows a bi personally that there will be a october academy but I'm not getting into it because I know someone on this forum is going to dump on me already saying the opposite. Just stating what I heard
                        ACAP, I like what I'm hearing from you.. stay positive, we're in same boat, everything completed, background, poly, etc.. just waiting for the gates to open up.. good info..

                        "There's no such thing as problems, only solutions"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by acap View Post
                          All I'm saying is my point of view that an official letter was sent out. They have to say tentatively because everything is subject to change.there's a lot of rumors going around about no academy and if there isnt then there isnt but a letter or a website post has not been made yet saying there is no academy.and what does your rank on the test have anything to do with what I said.. your in the 600s with no bi yet. I'm in the 500s with everything completed ,so what.I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. I'm just stating my opinion if no one is with me that's fine. Just hoping for the best.
                          FYI - I know for a fact that there are candidates above the 600's who have completed everything and are ready to go.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by NNYSquad View Post
                            FYI - I know for a fact that there are candidates above the 600's who have completed everything and are ready to go.
                            A recruiter told me that from the last number taken into the previous class up to 1116 or so that they had 300 candidates ready to go into the next class. Myself included. Lets hope for fall this year.
                            sigpic
                            SSgt US Marines 99-07

                            Comment


                            • Just got back from the Astro's tryout. Hit 89mph on the gun with the FB and as low as 71 with off speed, and they were very impressed. They told me to expect a phone call very soon, dream might come true who knows. Just keeping everyone updated!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Nick331 View Post
                                Just got back from the Astro's tryout. Hit 89mph on the gun with the FB and as low as 71 with off speed, and they were very impressed. They told me to expect a phone call very soon, dream might come true who knows. Just keeping everyone updated!
                                Hey man sounds like a great gig while you wait your turn for the NYSP. Good Luck!!
                                sigpic
                                SSgt US Marines 99-07

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 9373 users online. 238 members and 9135 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X