Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• delete post

Comment

• Originally posted by Driven View Post
        How about those of us working as Deputies? We do the same job as you. You back us up and we back you up many times and yet we get paid $30,000 less per year than you. And that is NO exaggeration. 26 week academy, 8 week FTO and literally $30,000 less per year . I'm happy for you all but I suggest that we "deserve" it as much as you and/or corrections.

Selective reading I see...

• First off, the troopers test is open to everyone. If you are unhappy with the pay in your agency then take the test!

• We go to a residential academy for 6 months with some of us leaving early Sunday afternoon to get to Albany and when it was snowing not getting home until early Saturday night. There was no home playing with the kids by 5:30pm... Not sure how it is now but there was no cell phones allowed for the first few weeks and then only for a small period during the evening. So basically no contact with your family until late in the academy.

• After the academy you may be gone from your home town for years… People on this site were incorrect saying Troopers were getting back to Buffalo in 2-2.5yrs. I spoke to a guy from my class with 4.5 yrs on and his transfer to Troop A landed him in Amity which is still almost 2 hours from his house after nearly 5 yrs. Then you put in for sergeant and you go to F or K for anywhere from 1-3 yrs. If you decide to go for LT don’t plan on every going home. Pack you bags, wife and kids and move…

• There are deputies in my County who will freely admit they don’t take calls citing the Troopers make twice as much so they can take twice as many calls. Fortunately only a few hold this attitude and most pull their own weight.

Once again, the test is open to everyone who meets the minimum qualifications…

Comment

• I dont see why there is so much animosity towards the state police, i work in the city and make $30k less now. If you want to complain about how much you do and not make enough come work in the city in a busy house...than complain. I for one and happy as hell, because
          A. Thats more money I can make if i go to the troopers.
          B. None of us are paid enough no matter where you are a LE officer.
          C. ALL THIS CAN DO HIS HELP YOU IN GETTING A RAISE!!!.. maybe you should be contacting your union and express your concerns about pay.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
            There was no home playing with the kids by 5:30pm... Not sure how it is now but there was no cell phones allowed for the first few weeks and then only for a small period during the evening. So basically no contact with your family until late in the academy.
            still true
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Well...not every evening either, we got to call home one night a week in the beginning when we went to retrieve our luggage to pack up for the weekend. We had 15 minutes to get out, make a phone call, and get back in. By the end we had phone calls Tuesday and Thursday nights. Your phones remained in your car at all times too.

Comment

• Linux got tucked in every night though

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  Linux got tucked in every night though
                  and I thanked you every time..

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
                    What about the Deputies? Did I not say that other agencies deserve it as much as we do. Yes I did. I then specifically pointed out corrections b/c they are another STATE agency currently under contract negotiations with the state. Does your agency negotiate its contract with the state? Do you get paid by the state? Is your contract currently fighting its way through both the senate and the assembly with a possibility of it being delayed for months b/c the state is about to take the rest of the summer off? Those guys have been fighting for a new contract for years against this state, probably longer than us. I can't wish them luck w/o having to mention the Deputies? I don't even know what county you work for. Since every county is different should I wish the Deputies making more than us good luck as well or should I complain about their pay? I can't possibly know what every county pays its Deputies nor can I know the status of every Sheriff's contract. I honestly have no idea what any Deputy I have worked with makes. It is none of my business. I think our contract is fair. If you make less than us I think your contract is not fair and you deserve more. If you worked for a Sheriff's department that paid more than the NYSP I would think you deserved every penny and I would be happy for you. But again at the end of the day what you get paid is none of my business.

Don't forget our PBA has to negotiate a contract that is fair state wide. That is why is some areas we may make more than our local and county counterparts but in other areas, even with cost of living allowances, we still make less.

The whole purpose behind my post was to show some support for another agency that is currently going through the EXACT same process we just finished. I guess I'm sorry that some how that offended you. Please let me know the next time your contract is up for negotiation for I will be sure to wish you good luck as well.
                    Mr. State Trooper,

You seem to have misconstrued my post as being angry at you for either making the money you do or being angry at you for not mentioning Deputies. There are no exclamation points of anger in my post. Just one emoticon of shock. Anger at Troopers was not the purpose of the post. The purpose of the post was simple to put out a little reminder that though it would be nice to see corrections get another raise in their contract, don't forget that they still make ok salaries. If I'm correct they just settled a contract in which they got a raise. Yes, it wasn't huge and it was for 3 previous years without a contract, but none the less, it was a raise that puts a significant chunk of money in their hands. We also are without a contract and will not be getting a new one this year and even when we do, I highly doubt that it will look anything like even what corrections got in their last one.... In spite of the fact that our county has enough to pay it.

Please don't misunderstand, my "What about the Deputies?" statement wasn't a rebuke of you for not mentioning us, it was simple throwing our position out there as a reminder. I don't expect you to know what we make or even fight for us to be paid more, I simple think that when someone makes $60-$70k per year and is fretting over it, they need to remember that there are those who make $30k less than that working right next to them. That's all my point was. I think remember that puts things in a little better perspective.

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                    Selective reading I see...

• First off, the troopers test is open to everyone. If you are unhappy with the pay in your agency then take the test!
                    Thank you for the offer, but when I was processing for the SP I had a partially torn ACL and had to withdraw. When that was finally remedied, I was about 2 months over the age limit for the test. Please don't throw you sarcastic response at me when you have no idea of my intent or my situation.
                    • We go to a residential academy for 6 months with some of us leaving early Sunday afternoon to get to Albany and when it was snowing not getting home until early Saturday night. There was no home playing with the kids by 5:30pm... Not sure how it is now but there was no cell phones allowed for the first few weeks and then only for a small period during the evening. So basically no contact with your family until late in the academy.
                    I give you this, that is difficult and would be for me as well. But that doesn't change the job we do. And please don't patronize me with the home by 5:30 playing with the kids thing. In my situation that's never been the case. In some respects being able to work on studying and homework without the other responsibilities of the week would have been beneficial.

• After the academy you may be gone from your home town for years… People on this site were incorrect saying Troopers were getting back to Buffalo in 2-2.5yrs. I spoke to a guy from my class with 4.5 yrs on and his transfer to Troop A landed him in Amity which is still almost 2 hours from his house after nearly 5 yrs. Then you put in for sergeant and you go to F or K for anywhere from 1-3 yrs. If you decide to go for LT don’t plan on every going home. Pack you bags, wife and kids and move…
                    • There are deputies in my County who will freely admit they don’t take calls citing the Troopers make twice as much so they can take twice as many calls. Fortunately only a few hold this attitude and most pull their own weight.
                    Maybe your comment is true, but be careful what you say because I know for a fact that it is true in reverse sometimes as well. Being a State Trooper and making fair salary doesn't make you above being lazy. There are lazy people in both of our positions. I know of situation where Deputies have driven past 2 Troopers sitting chatting on their way to a call. I'm NOT suggesting that all or even most Troopers would do that, because I know better. I'm just saying watch what you say because it happens both ways. Hopefully you and I both have the integrity to never let that be either of us.

Once again, the test is open to everyone who meets the minimum qualifications…
                    My age doesn't meet the "minimum requirements".

Once again, let me just clarify for the record that I didn't throw in any angry exclamation points or biting comments to my original post and it wasn't intended to imply that you don't deserve your pay. I was just trying to bring some perspective. Our county has the money to pay it, we just can't seem to get them to do it for some reason... and the truth is, the turn over shows it.
                    "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

• Trooper (NYIllini),

Wow.

I don't know what to say. I don't know what will offend you at this point. I'm sorry that you feel I meant ill or sarcasm from either of my two posts. I don't know where you get that from. I meant nothing sarcastic by addressing you as "Mr. State Trooper". For some reason the forum is not allowing me to quote names properly so I was cutting and pasting and I typed in Mr. State Trooper because it was easier. I'm sorry you took offense. I think maybe you are being a bit over sensitive to a post that meant nothing ill. Whether you believe it or not, I did not. I had no idea you guys were so on edge about this issue. Nor did I mean to create this attitude. In all honesty, all I meant was to bring the perspective that there are those who make less so to keep that in mind before complaining. I never asked you to know that politics of our area. Once again, I'm sorry you took it that way. I thought I stated that I was happy for whatever contract you get and corrections as well. I hope what ever is bothering you gets better and doesn't carry over into other areas of your life.

I'm sorry for commenting in your section, I'll cease.
                      Last edited by Driven; 06-20-2009, 06:18 PM.
                      "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

• New Contract;

NYSP, congrats on getting the Gov to sign a new contract for you Troops ! Well deserved and LONG in coming ! Hopefully the retro checks aren't long in coming and don't "bounce".....

Persons complaining about their respective pay rankings should direct their complaints and issues to their elected brethren that are responsible for upgrading/negotiating their units wages and benefits.
                        If those persons are non-responsive to your message, then you should run for their office !

Comment

• Guy doesn't show up around here very often... usually only to lurk and see what is going on in the LE world but the last few posts have made Guy feel like Guy must ask at least one question... Did "the Driven one" not apply to other surrounding agencies that paid better than the one he is currently working for? And if so, what were the outcomes? Only those who meet great great physical, mental and moral standards are given the chance to earn the title of Trooper and the privlidge of wearing the Purple Tie
                          Commandant Cartman has ways of making you talk!

Comment

• Ok... so now that that is over... can we go back to wondering when the next acadmy is going to start and what list number "they" are going to reach for proscessing?
                            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• hmmmmmmm....

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                                Ok... so now that that is over... can we go back to wondering when the next acadmy is going to start and what list number "they" are going to reach for proscessing?
                                That made me laugh, but at the same time is so very true. Any ideas?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8331 users online. 213 members and 8118 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X