Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The answer to both of those questions is yes....

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
      The answer to both of those questions is yes....
      What are you doing on here?

Comment

• Hey everyone . . .

I just wanted to provide some useful and helpful information to you guys. I remember a few pages back in the forum that we were talking about traffic tickets and how difficult it is to remember the real long ago ones. One of the troopers stated that we could go to the actual courts . . . which you can do, because I called them up and asked, however, I did some research with the NYSDMV. The driving abstracts that you order with them ONLY shows tickets from the past three years or so. So I called the DMV headquarters in Albany and asked them how to obtain EVERY ticket you have EVER received rather than just the one's that are still three years or newer. There is a form out there, don't know if it was ever mentioned on here, but figured I'd let you know. Its called the MV-15F form... its a freedom of information request. This form can be found on the NYSDMV website. You must fill it out and mail it in with either a money order or credit card info..... I apologize if this was already mentioned, but I wanted to throw that out there for you guys ready to process.

Remember, they want you to report everything, not just whats on your driver's abstract.

Best of Luck

Comment

• Originally posted by 04RevX View Post
          Well the bad news finally came. Was excited to see a letter from the NYSP today when I got home in the mailbox, but it wasn't the letter I was expecting to see. It was the dreaded DQ letter. Not sure what else to say, other than i'm disappointed because of how hard i've busted my but the last 18 months. Not sure the reason for the DQ, and it doesn't really matter I guess. Oh well, in a way i'm content with finally knowing something. It's time to move on with my future.

Good luck to everyone else pursuing this career.

Signing off....
          Is your ranking still active on the website contact info update section?
          sigpic
          SSgt US Marines 99-07

Comment

• I asked the same thing, he said his ranking & score is still on the website.
            therefore, your ranking number is obviously NOT accurate, b/c they still have deferred and DQ'd candidates listed

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
              Keep pushing, most people have to apply to multiple agencies before getting picked up.

If you want the big hat, several other states are hiring. PSP, MDSP, CTSP, MSP, VTSP, NHSP....or starting looking out west. CHP, Oregon State, and CO State Patrol all need good people. I am in CA all the time for business and know some CHP guys, they are all from the north-east and love CHP.

Or try going local/city for a few years to be more competitive for the next NYSP processing.

I was looking into these other states and they all get paid VERY low compared to NYS.... its crazy. Vermont gets almost 30,000 less than NY. I couldn't believe it... And they cap out at a much lower amount as well....

However, these agencies process so much more quickly. For instance, I spoke with a vermont recruiter. He stated that they are testing in april and may this year. All in one day, you will complete the written, physical, and psychological. He said if all goes well, if you pass everything, the academy would start in July 2009. Thats very quick processing.

What would you troopers think if someone actually became a trooper for VT, CT, PSP, etc... and then took the 2012 exam for NY with the experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
                I had a Virgina State Trooper in my class. He was a real squared away guy as most VSP Troopers are. He moved back to NY for family reasons. I'm sure his background helped in the process but once he got to Albany he was treated just like everyone else. When all the ATOs started yelling about earning the title of Trooper he must have been thinking OH crap here we go again. I give him and anyone else who goes through two State Police academies a lot of credit. I have a feeling though unless extreme circumstance compel you to return to NY, you'll be very happy with any State Police Agency you would get on with. Most of the time pay is relative. I bet most of those guys/gals are living pretty comfortable in those other states. There were even a few guys who went through the State Park Police Academy only to turn right around and go through ours! I say if you are going to start with another agency at least give them a shot. It may turn out you like them more.

Very true... Plus I didn't keep into consideration cost of living. Im sure places like Vermont and whatnot have alot less taxes than NY. Plus, all these other agencies have benefits like take home cars. Either way, it would be a good avenue to go. Especially if you didn't score that high on the NYSP exam. You could always do better on another state's exam, get the experience and come back to good ole NY...

One added note, I never really realized this but on the NYSP webpage, it states that the processing is "job-related" and competitive..... meaning they would prefer people already in the field, or military personnel. I mean, lets face it, sitting in a cubicle 8 hours a day pushing papers like me isn't really "job-related" plus it drives me nuts!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BradyBeck View Post
                  I was looking into these other states and they all get paid VERY low compared to NYS.... its crazy. Vermont gets almost 30,000 less than NY. I couldn't believe it... And they cap out at a much lower amount as well....

However, these agencies process so much more quickly. For instance, I spoke with a vermont recruiter. He stated that they are testing in april and may this year. All in one day, you will complete the written, physical, and psychological. He said if all goes well, if you pass everything, the academy would start in July 2009. Thats very quick processing.

What would you troopers think if someone actually became a trooper for VT, CT, PSP, etc... and then took the 2012 exam for NY with the experience?
                  I'm scheduled to take the VT State Police exam in April, even though its supposedly quick, the VTSP only have about 325 troopers as of 2004, I'm sure that number has gone up but not by much, so if NYSP is hard to get on then I can only imagine what a state police like VTSP can be like if they aren't hiring that many people. Try PSP (about same size as NYSP), they giving another test at the end of summer maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                    The cost of living in VT is very low so with some OT and your take home, life is good.

I also hear that VT Troops get free ski passes, although not confirmed.

My brother is PSP, been there for 12 years and likes the job. The schedule is a grind, no take home, and lots of OT. He clears 80K and since he left the Philly area is living the good life. He said, he should have gone NYPD instead of PSP.

With any agency there is a ton of BS, make the best decision for you/your family and life is good. If you only wanted money, CHP first year after all the perks is 87K, but you will probably be in LA or San Fran. http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/osalary.html

just curious, what reasons did he say/think that he should have gone NYPD instead of PSP? politics? location? job function?

Comment

• I have a question for you guys. Is the NYSP academy abreviated if you have already gone through an academy or have been a police officer. Thanks!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Bruin567;1715639]I have a question for you guys. Is the NYSP academy abreviated if you have already gone through an academy or have been a police officer. Thanks![/QUOTE

"Abreviated" what do u think there is two seperate academies. One for those ex police officers and one for the pizza guys

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruin567 View Post
                          I have a question for you guys. Is the NYSP academy abreviated if you have already gone through an academy or have been a police officer. Thanks!
                          Let the Sgt know when you report and he/she will direct you to the modified program.

Comment

• I applied to PSP and stated on the application that I used marijuana in the last 3 years and my application was rejected. Is this typical of all law enforcement agencies? Friends of mine have admitted to using marijuana while in college and it was less than 3 years and most are now police officers. One even admitted to using marijuana about 500 times and was still accepted.

Comment

• Thanks for the one serious reply. The police academy I attended was different if you already had police experience. I was not sure about the NYSP academy. Maybe I wasn't specific enough for saying "abbreiviated."

Comment

• Originally posted by sharpshooter518 View Post
                                I applied to PSP and stated on the application that I used marijuana in the last 3 years and my application was rejected. Is this typical of all law enforcement agencies? Friends of mine have admitted to using marijuana while in college and it was less than 3 years and most are now police officers. One even admitted to using marijuana about 500 times and was still accepted.
                                I'm sure some of the Troopers can better answer this question, but I figured I'd give some insight anyway. I specifically asked a recruiter what the official policy was on past usage, and if anything DQ'd a person automatically. What I was told is that each individual background is assessed case by case. It isn't so much what you did (although I'm sure something like heroine wouldn't fly), but that you are upfront and completely honest about it from day one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4745 users online. 235 members and 4510 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X