300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
    Well...after discussions with the boss, my wife...We are going to stay in Maryland long-term, therefore I am pulling out of the NYSP process. I will not be attending the processing weekend this March.

I will start my process w/ MD State (www.mdsp.org), although the pay and schedule are not as good, there is plenty of OT and they are also top notch. I am still in some federal processes but I think being a Trooper would be fit my personality.

After looking at the housing market, there is no way we could afford to sell the house (at a 60K loss), pay closing cost, and relocate. With 2 little girls and other expenses it's not a good move. Plus my wife has an awesome job here and it's stable.

Best of luck to all in the process, I firmly believe that NYSP is one of the best out there, if you get in...don't quit!

Hopefully, a bunch of us will be wearing the Stetson one day...only mine will be tan
    I would stronly urge you to continue in the process and hold off on making that decision until later on.

Everyone seems to think real estate is expensive in NY. We are a large state outside of the city. The median price of a home where I live was $59,000 in 2001 and in 2008 it was still under $100,000. $150,000 wil get you a nice home anywhere in my Troop and $200,000 would get you a real nice home with some land.

There are a lot of out of staters who graduate our academy and go where the state sends them and find they like the area and then move their family up. You would not move your family until you are established which would be the sacrifice you would make.

Good luck either way.

Comment

• Options

I also suggest that you continue with BOTH State Police agencies.

Although MSP could still be your first choice due to your Wife's employment and child care issues, UNTIL you are in the MSP academy it is wise to continue with both, IMO.

Unless you now have the acceptance letter from MSP and you KNOW that there is a MSP class scheduled in the upcoming months.

NYSP has a much higher pay scale, which may offset your Wife's job in Maryland. Also could depend on her profession and her ability to rehire/transfer into NY State. Only in the NYC metro area are home/land prices at silly levels and NYSP gives location adjustments to Troopers the closer they are stationed to NYC.

But good luck in whichever your choice, both have earned excellent reputations.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
        I would stronly urge you to continue in the process and hold off on making that decision until later on.

Everyone seems to think real estate is expensive in NY. We are a large state outside of the city. The median price of a home where I live was $59,000 in 2001 and in 2008 it was still under $100,000. $150,000 wil get you a nice home anywhere in my Troop and $200,000 would get you a real nice home with some land.

There are a lot of out of staters who graduate our academy and go where the state sends them and find they like the area and then move their family up. You would not move your family until you are established which would be the sacrifice you would make.

Good luck either way.
        If you dont mind me asking Grey, which Troop are you referring to ? Those prices are a significant difference compared to homes in the NYC/LI area.

Comment

• Where I am from, Troop A, those are indeed the going price for a nice house.

Specificaly, I'm in Erie county, but a good 45 minutes away from Buffalo.

Comment

• NY State

North of Dutchess County, and West of the Thruway, North of the first toll barrier would give you VASTLY reduced real estate values, all NOT commuting distances into NYC metro areas....unless you are looking for waterfront property on a lake or river.
            Adirondack Park areas are very inexpensive (off the water), burbs of Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Binghamton are cheap when compared to NYC areas (inc Long Island).
            Fayetteville/Manlius areas just outside of Syracuse have very good school systems and 200k gives a very nice home.

Comment

• I agree with GrayPatriot and BigWill that you should continue in both processes until you get accepted, what is it going to cost you to continue in the NYSP process? The longest part of the wait, depending on your score, is getting called for the PT/Psych processing. After that weekend it goes pretty quick. I had my Psych interview a week after the PT test, met my Investigator a few days after that, and did my polygraph maybe a month after that. Then it was a wait for the class to start. The money in NY is awesome, and only getting better with this next pay bill (when it FINALLY gets signed) The schedule is amazing, and the people are mostly top notch. I don't know anything about MSP and I am sure they are a fine organization but keep all of your options open for as long as possible. Housing in the majority of NY is nowhere near as expensive as NYC/LI area. Regardless of what you do I wish the best of luck to you and your family.
              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Comment

• Haven't posted in a while.. just wanted to stop in and say congrats and good luck to those invited to upcoming processing weeknd. I'm ranked 41xx, so I'm hopeful they'll eventually make it to my number, but you never know nowadays. Waiting is tough..

Comment

• Anyone know if we need to bring an official copy of out selective service card? Can we just print it out from the website? I'm worried that if I call/write to requst one, it won't be here in time for processing anyways. Anyone who went through last years processing, your input would be great...everyone else's too!

Comment

• Originally posted by skasif11 View Post
                    Anyone know if we need to bring an official copy of out selective service card? Can we just print it out from the website? I'm worried that if I call/write to requst one, it won't be here in time for processing anyways. Anyone who went through last years processing, your input would be great...everyone else's too!
                    A copy from the Selective Service website worked for me. As far as processing be prepared for a long day. You'll do the PT test, then you'll be invited to come back the next day for the Psych test. After answering all those questions (I think there were 3 or 4 different booklets) you will go schedule your psychological interview. Obvioulsy you want to wear professional attire at the Psych interview and the subsequent meetings with your investiagtor/Polygrapher. Remember to always be truthful and you'll do fine. Good luck.
                    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Last edited by NNYSquad; 05-20-2009, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• And as another note..... When I processed last year, it said in my paperwork that you didn't need an "OFFICIAL" copy of your transcript for processing. But be prepared, you will have to mail an official copy in to the HQ the week after you process.

Comment

• For those going to the upcoming processing, if you could ask & find out when the next scheduled academy class is, it would be helpful to those who had already processed. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            A copy from the Selective Service website worked for me. As far as processing be prepared for a long day. You'll do the PT test, then you'll be invited to come back the next day for the Psych test. After answering all those questions (I think there were 3 or 4 different booklets) you will go schedule your psychological interview. Obvioulsy you want to wear professional attire at the Psych interview and the subsequent meetings with your investiagtor/Polygrapher. Remember to always be truthful and you'll do fine. Good luck.
                            Hammer - thanks for the info, just to clarify, will we have the psych interview on the 2nd day (in which we'll want to wear professional attire), or when we fill out the three booklets, after that we'll get a scheduled psych interview? I just want to make sure, so I know whether or not to bring a suit with me to Albany that weekend.

Thanks

Comment

• anyone else a little nervous?

Comment

• Originally posted by skasif11 View Post
                                Hammer - thanks for the info, just to clarify, will we have the psych interview on the 2nd day (in which we'll want to wear professional attire), or when we fill out the three booklets, after that we'll get a scheduled psych interview? I just want to make sure, so I know whether or not to bring a suit with me to Albany that weekend.

Thanks
                                You take the a pysch background with the 4 packets on sunday, and then sign up for a meeting with a psychologist after you are done. This will take place a few weeks later. The meeting is when you need the suit, you won't need one at processing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11004 users online. 467 members and 10537 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X