300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b
    Trooper4985, How long does it usually take to transfer or work your way out to let's say central upstate area for most guys? 1-2 years? 3-4 years? more?

Thanx,
    Bob
    Depends on where your are talking... Troop E, A, and L were closed when I came on. I made it back my home zone in 1 rotation and home barracks the next rotation. I'm close to SlowDownThere in Troop E. I was 39/200 in my class. Some of my classmates went straight to Troop C and Troop D right out of the academy but not many. Most of my class went to Troop B and Troop F. It really all depends on retirements and promotions.

Must metion that it took some guys a couple of years to get where I am stationed... and some Troop A guys spent 4-6 years getting home... it all depends on how nice the Governor was to Division 20 years prior to your entry date for the most part. Some of the guys that just got turned loose on the motoring public from Troop E, got Troop E as their first duty assignment.
    Last edited by Trooper4985; 01-25-2007, 04:39 AM.
    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985
      ... SP Plattsburgh is a very busy barracks because we are the only LE in that area but it is rural... and I mean rural... more than New Paltz rural... but not quite Deliverance rural

Ha Ha Ha! Very well put.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Depends on where your are talking... Troop E, A, and L were closed when I came on. I made it back my home zone in 1 rotation and home barracks the next rotation. I'm close to SlowDownThere in Troop E. I was 39/200 in my class. Some of my classmates went straight to Troop C and Troop D right out of the academy but not many. Most of my class went to Troop B and Troop F. It really all depends on retirements and promotions.

Must metion that it took some guys a couple of years to get where I am stationed... and some Troop A guys spent 4-6 years getting home... it all depends on how nice the Governor was to Division 20 years prior to your entry date for the most part. Some of the guys that just got turned loose on the motoring public from Troop E, got Troop E as their first duty assignment.
        Thanx for the info...So I'm looking at atleast a couple of years to transfer to the central upstate area. I don't have any specific towns in mind right now but will have a better idea once I'm on the job. Does it matter where you live once your ready for your first Troop assignment or will they put you in a troop that is close as possible to where you request? In other words... will they automatically stick me by whatever is closest to my current address or will it be my option?

Thanx again,
        Bob
        sigpic
        IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

Thanx for the info...So I'm looking at atleast a couple of years to transfer to the central upstate area. I don't have any specific towns in mind right now but will have a better idea once I'm on the job. Does it matter where you live once your ready for your first Troop assignment or will they put you in a troop that is close as possible to where you request? In other words... will they automatically stick me by whatever is closest to my current address or will it be my option?

Thanx again,
          Bob
          Bob:

Prior to graduation from the academy, recruits are asked which Troops they would like to work in. They are asked for more than one choice, and asked to put them in order of preference. It doesn't matter where they live (or lived) while in the academy.

You mention central NYS. To me that means an area that includes Binghamton, Ithaca, Syracuse, Utica, etc. It is not hard to get those areas. Some recruits from each class will be assigned those Troops (D and C) right our of the academy. It usually dosn't take years to get there.

Now Buffalo, on the other hand, is another matter.

Comment

The parkinglot? I hated seeing the Guilderland rest stop. Ralph and Stacy X on The Tour Bus made my sunday drive nice... right up till I saw that rest stop... somehow that place could ruin a perfect day.

I usually stopped at the exit prior to that actually, so that's when I started getting the jitters, and started wolfing down some last minute snacks while driving.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere
              You mention central NYS. To me that means an area that includes Binghamton, Ithaca, Syracuse, Utica, etc. It is not hard to get those areas. Some recruits from each class will be assigned those Troops (D and C) right our of the academy. It usually dosn't take years to get there.

I managed to get somewhere in central New York right out of the gate. Didn't get my first choice, but I've got absolutely nothing to complain about. I think I have a pretty decent chance of getting into my home troop after this next class graduates (so nobody from the 194th quit).

Comment

Bob:

Prior to graduation from the academy, recruits are asked which Troops they would like to work in. They are asked for more than one choice, and asked to put them in order of preference. It doesn't matter where they live (or lived) while in the academy.

Thanx SlowDownThere. That is awesome that most can get a direct transfer or close to those areas right out of the academy. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to get a direct transfer right out of the academy. I guess time and politics will tell. Sometimes I wonder if being in a more secluded area of upstate is desirable to work being most of those areas are said to be undermanned. I know I want to be in a quiet area with alot of natures best, it's what I've always wanted and still do, but I've been wondering if it is desirable to work in area where backup is miles away.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState
                  I managed to get somewhere in central New York right out of the gate. Didn't get my first choice, but I've got absolutely nothing to complain about. I think I have a pretty decent chance of getting into my home troop after this next class graduates (so nobody from the 194th quit).
                  Even though you didn't get it on your first shot it's still close and a short wait. Hopefully you will get it right after the next class graduates. Good luck.
                  sigpic

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if being in a more secluded area of upstate is desirable to work being most of those areas are said to be undermanned. I know I want to be in a quiet area with alot of natures best, it's what I've always wanted and still do, but I've been wondering if it is desirable to work in area where backup is miles away.
                    Bad things can happen anywhere and to anybody... I certainly didn't think the last thing I was ever going to say to Andy was "Enjoy your pass, see you Wednesday" and I really didn't think I was going to get a call at 3am about 2 months later saying that Sean had been shot. Guys in NYPD can press the panic button and 10 other officers are there in seconds... You still see NYPD guys getting hurt and killed.
                    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState
                      Somewhere in central New York? You make it sound like you are going to work in east bumble. Don't forget that there is a Walmart and 2 screen movie theater there. As for me I got my home station for FTO and I get to stay there for my permanent assignment in Troop C. I am very lucky about that. I guess thats a benefit of being in a large class. They have to put us all somewhere.
                      When you absolutely, posotively have to go 10 miles in 5 minutes- CVPI!!![/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranter64
                        Somewhere in central New York? You make it sound like you are going to work in east bumble. Don't forget that there is a Walmart and 2 screen movie theater there. As for me I got my home station for FTO and I get to stay there for my permanent assignment in Troop C. I am very lucky about that. I guess thats a benefit of being in a large class. They have to put us all somewhere.
                        That's 2 more screens than I thought would be there, hahah. It was a very nice Wal-Mart.
                        Last edited by GrayState; 01-28-2007, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Bad things can happen anywhere and to anybody... I certainly didn't think the last thing I was ever going to say to Andy was "Enjoy your pass, see you Wednesday" and I really didn't think I was going to get a call at 3am about 2 months later saying that Sean had been shot. Guys in NYPD can press the panic button and 10 other officers are there in seconds... You still see NYPD guys getting hurt and killed.
                          Yeah, I totally agree. It only takes seconds for things to go wrong and no department has backup in seconds. Most backup gets there after the sh*t already hit the fan anyway. I guess I can only do as a Trooper told me in the past..."Keep yourself in the best physical shape possible and always be one step ahead of anyone your dealing with physically and mentally".

There's always some non-monetary price to pay for a good paying job and that dream home.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Interesting NY Post article

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252007..._sanderson.htm

Comment

Yes, great article. Another good example of why I never took a job with NYPD.
                              sigpic

Comment

• How many left?

How many are left in the current class? I know of one who quit... I'm curious as to why he quit but I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable as I knew him since before I went to the academy and he is a local officer who I see on a routine basis. I couldn't imagine only being allowed to patrol >4 square miles and >10K people.
                                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6794 users online. 361 members and 6433 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X