Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grades shouldn't be a huge deal for SWO. I was told by the officer recruiter that for Aviation though, you need a competitive GPA; something like 3.30+. Not Latin Honors from an Ivy League school or anything, but the grades do count. Spots are limited for Aviation also but SWO is always in demand. They do a background too but it isn't anything like the USSS so I don't see any of that being a problem. They also have fairly stringent age requirements from what I recall. I spoke to a Chief at the Albany recruiting station and he was pretty straight forward and not pressing for me to sign my name. Provided a lot of good information. Good luck. If you decide to go, Newport, Rhode Island is just as cold (if not more so) as Albany in the winter.
    Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• Ouch!

So, Saturday evening was warm around here. There was still plenty of ice, but most of it (like that on my driveway) had water on it. And there I am, minding my own business, carrying something heavy across my driveway, and down I go. I knew I was hurt immediately, but......

....Monday I go to my doctor, and get X-rays. They aren't read until Tuesday. Bottom line is I have three fractured ribs (#7, 8, 9) and #8 isn't properly aglined. I'm out of work for 4 to 6 weeks minimum. My boss doesn't even know yet. I'm going to stop in today to tell him.

It's only been a few days, and I'm already bored to tears. But it hurts so much to do anything (especially sneeze or burp), that I'm just sitting around. It also hurts to get up from a sitting position. I have pain pills but I haven't taken any yet. Stubborn I guess.

I guess this is a good time to get caught up on my reading.
      I am not happy about this.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
        :I'm out of work for 4 to 6 weeks minimum. :
        Originally posted by NYIllini
        II'm recovering from surgery so my response time may not be very quick as I'm not checking this site or my email very often.
        Guys, I didn't know Dr Winteroff worked all over the state

J/K speedy recovery.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• I was driving back from Syracuse yesterday and I saw a Trooper on the shoulder. Drivers ahead of me drove by without attempting to switch lanes to give him a little room. Does NYS have a move over law for the safety of Troopers? If so, how do you enforce it?

Comment

• Originally posted by grey25 View Post
              I was driving back from Syracuse yesterday and I saw a Trooper on the shoulder. Drivers ahead of me drove by without attempting to switch lanes to give him a little room. Does NYS have a move over law for the safety of Troopers? If so, how do you enforce it?
              No, it's not a law.

Comment

• Originally posted by Worthless1 View Post
                No, it's not a law.
                Pending legislation, February 2005... http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=...ry&story=12656

It needs to be a law, that's for sure.
                Last edited by NYSP61; 02-13-2009, 12:28 AM. Reason: _

Comment

• Swo

USNA had about 200 billets available for SWO service selection. About 190 put it down for their first or second selection (they pick 6 options).

Sometime this month SWO will have the ship selection day. Available ships and their home ports will be put up on bullentin board. Then SWO people go up and pick a ship in order of their class standing. Most of the first pickers take Japan, Hawaii, Florida, San Diego off the board fast.

One real savvy guy figured out one of the ships was being de-commissoned soon and by the time he got there the ship was going thru de-commish and he was land based for 2 years with no deployments.

Sub Officers have to graduate Nuclear Power School prior to getting onboard a sub. If you aren't somebody with a close to 4.0 in the Sciences don't bother trying. It is getting like a Master's Degree in Nuke Power in 12 months. (you don't get the actual Master's degree because the rating agencies don't have the Top Secret clearances to study the courses given.)
                  But if you have the smarts going Subs gives you large bonus for entering, graduating, and retention at re-enlistments, not to mention the monthly hazardous duty pay addition.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
                    His full name is Dr Winter Spring Sumsummeroff
                    The important lesson here is that you should be stingy with your SL, and not fritter it away. I'm lucky, in that I have about 2000 hours of SL saved up, but that's because I rarely used any throughout my career.

The other lesson is that ice is slippery.
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Hi there- I apologize if this question has already been asked, I'm new to the forum.

I was one of those leftover candidates that went through the entire processing through the Medical Exam this past November. When processing starts up again for the next class, should I expect to go through each step again? Are there some items we do/do not have to repeat. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC00 View Post
                        Hi there- I apologize if this question has already been asked, I'm new to the forum.

I was one of those leftover candidates that went through the entire processing through the Medical Exam this past November. When processing starts up again for the next class, should I expect to go through each step again? Are there some items we do/do not have to repeat. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
                        I actually asked the same question, in the same situation as well. I was told by a current recruit that it would be the medical exam and modified PAT again.
                        sigpic
                        SSgt US Marines 99-07

Comment

• Thank you for the replies, that makes sense. Good luck to all of the November leftovers. Keeping those fingers crossed for June, hope to see you there.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC00 View Post
                            Thank you for the replies, that makes sense. Good luck to all of the November leftovers. Keeping those fingers crossed for June, hope to see you there.
                            As its been talked about before, with the state of the economy, I would cross my fingers that they even process for a class in June or 2009 for that matter. I know that's what I am hoping for. I processed through my psychological and now I wait to go through BI and medical.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
                                New PBA email out. Had to know that was coming.
                                Come on... They stood up and said firmly 'NO'... what more do you think they should do with your dues
                                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6615 users online. 320 members and 6295 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X