300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b
    Hi, Anyone know how long you ride along with an experienced Trooper once you finish the academy? Also, How ,long is probation?

Thanx,
    Bob
    Your field training period is ten weeks. You'll learn as much, or more, in field training as you did in the academy. Probation lasts a year from your academy graduation.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState
      Your field training period is ten weeks. You'll learn as much, or more, in field training as you did in the academy. Probation lasts a year from your academy graduation.

Thanx GrayState. I was just curious to know how much hands-on training I will get in the field. Ten weeks sounds good. You can never have enough training, especially field training. I would think thats where most of theory and reality will be seperated. A one year probation is pretty good too. Most LE Depts. have a year and a half.

One other question for you or anyone who knows... Is it true that you can fail the polygraph test just from being naturally nervous? I was told that and Polygraph tests are not admissible or accurate enough to be held against you, but are merely to scare you into admitting things that might be negative to the position. So basically I want to know if being nervous will fail me completely from any further processing?

Thanx
      Last edited by ATrooper2b; 02-23-2008, 01:05 PM.
      sigpic
      IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

One other question for you or anyone who knows... Is it true that you can fail the polygraph test just from being naturally nervous? I was told that and Polygraph tests are not admissible or accurate enough to be held against you, but are merely to scare you into admitting things that might be negative to the position. So basically I want to know if being nervous will fail me completely from any further processing?

Thanx,
        Bob
        I'm not a BI but I know for a fact that people who fail the Polygraph do not progress to the next step in the journey to becoming a NY State Trooper. There is much BS out there on the internet about polygraphs just like there is BS out there about how to get out of your speeding ticket. Honesty about smoking weed 3 times in college, 6 years before you proscess... not a big deal. denying that you smoked weed 3 times in college, 6 years before you processed... go pump gas.
        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985
          I'm not a BI but I know for a fact that people who fail the Polygraph do not progress to the next step in the journey to becoming a NY State Trooper. There is much BS out there on the internet about polygraphs just like there is BS out there about how to get out of your speeding ticket. Honesty about smoking weed 3 times in college, 6 years before you proscess... not a big deal. denying that you smoked weed 3 times in college, 6 years before you processed... go pump gas.

Thanx for clearing that up Trooper 4985. I have nothing to worry about as far as drugs or excessive alochol consumption etc. I've been a good boy my whole life. I'm just worried about whether or not I can fail just from getting the Processing jitters. It's very common for people to get nervous when going through the preliminaries for any job, but I've been waiting for this job most of my life and are afraid of getting overwhelmed at the first processing weekend with having the PAT, written psych. and polygraph within two days.

Do you know anyone who failed from being nervous or is common nervousness detected by the analyzer and taken into consideration?

Thanx
          Last edited by ATrooper2b; 02-23-2008, 01:04 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanx for clearing that up Trooper 4985. I have nothing to worry about as far as drugs or excessive alochol consumption etc. I've been a good boy my whole life. I'm just worried about whether or not I can fail just from getting the Processing jitters. It's very common for people to get nervous when going through the preliminaries for any job, but I've been waiting for this job most of my life and are afraid of getting overwhelmed at the first processing weekend with having the PAT, written psych. and polygraph within two days.

Do you know anyone who failed from being nervous or is common nervousness detected by the analyzer and taken into consideration?

Thanx,
            Bob
            You don't have the poly during the processing weekend. Worry about getting through the processing weekend first.

Of course everyone is a bit anxious before a poly, but if you have nothing to hide then you won't have anything to worry about...

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot
              You don't have the poly during the processing weekend. Worry about getting through the processing weekend first.

Of course everyone is a bit anxious before a poly, but if you have nothing to hide then you won't have anything to worry about...

Thanx for the info GrayPatriot. I thought the Poly was given the same weekend as the PAT. But either way I guess your right that if I have nothing to hide or be extra nervous about I will be fine. After all... O.J. passed a poly test LOL.

I can't wait to just get all of the pre-academy processing out of the way so I can relax a bit.
              sigpic

Comment

• I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I did my PAT weekend last summer, Oral Psych, BI, Poly then Med Exam in November and I still haven't been able to 'relax'.

Comment

A one year probation is pretty good too. Most LE Depts. have a year and a half.

One other question for you or anyone who knows... Is it true that you can fail the polygraph test just from being naturally nervous?
                  Actually, it works out to a year and a half. It's half a year while in the academy, then an entire year upon graduation.

Also, you can read lots of different things about the poly. Don't read them, and don't worry. If it occurs at all, it's very rare.
                  You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. My ranking on the current NYSP list below 1000, I recieved a letter to attend a processing weekend a couple of years ago, but due to military obligation I had to defer my eligability. I am no longer in the military, and this past fall I reactivated my status on the list. I attended the processing weekend in Albany last October and passed the PAT and all of the other requirements of the weekend. A week or two later I went back to Albany for the psychological interview. By the end of November my BI started my background and I took the polygraph exam the first week of December. My BI said he was supposed to be finished my background by Dec. 8th, and the last time I had any contact with him was on Dec. 12th (he had a few questions about my parents birthplaces, ect.). I'm curious if this is a good sign that the processing all took place so quickly, because for a lot of people it seems that there processing drags on for quite some time. I'm also curious how quickly a DQ letter is sent out once it is determined the NYSP no longer wants you as an applicant? It's been almost a month and a half since I have heard anything, is this good, or is there a possibility I could still get a DQ from the processing I've gone through? I've also heard that some people have their background checks updated if there is a long lapse between the initial background and their academy, since the next academy probably wont be until next summer/fall sometime, should I expect this? Thanks
                    Last edited by willeck; 02-16-2007, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• No news is good news. If you haven't been disqualified, prepare like you're going into the academy and run your *** off, and see how long you can stay in the down pushup position. Even though they don't have the final say, the fact that your BI was still talking to you near the end is a good sign. There was a long lapse between when I did all of the processing and my background update. You won't feel comfortable until you get the letter saying your invited to the academy (and that sense of comfort will only last until you drive into the academy parkinglot).

Comment

• If all is good with your background you might not ever hear back from your BI. The next contact you will have will either be a DQ letter from HQ or an invitation to the medical about a month and a half before the next academy starts. You might be updated but it isnt actually that long of a lapse, regardless keep your nose clean in the meantime. With that ranking I'm sure you will be one of the top ranking recruits in the next class.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState
                          You won't feel comfortable until you get the letter saying your invited to the academy (and that sense of comfort will only last until you drive into the academy parkinglot).
                          The parkinglot? I hated seeing the Guilderland rest stop. Ralph and Stacy X on The Tour Bus made my sunday drive nice... right up till I saw that rest stop... somehow that place could ruin a perfect day.
                          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                            Actually, it works out to a year and a half. It's half a year while in the academy, then an entire year upon graduation.

Also, you can read lots of different things about the poly. Don't read them, and don't worry. If it occurs at all, it's very rare.

Thanx for the advice Sir. Sometimes I'm afraid that I want this job so much that i'll overdo things and fail for trying too hard. I know it sounds crazy, but it happens. I have family in NYPD that have been pushing me to take that job for years because I've been called numerous times after taking the NYPD written exam, but I have no interest in the BS they put up with and living in the NYC area for the next 20+ years any longer. Plus they are so under paid. I've been in the NYC area my whole life and said for years that I wanted to be a NYST and move upstate as far away from the city as possible. I'm gonna do everything in my power to try and make this dream become reality.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've been in the NYC area my whole life and said for years that I wanted to be a NYST and move upstate as far away from the city as possible. I'm gonna do everything in my power to try and make this dream become reality.
                              It will take you a little while to get to SP Jamestown, furthest from NYC I think, but SP Plattsburgh is a common barracks straight out of the academy if you want the complete opposite of NYC. Well let me correct that... SP Plattsburgh is a very busy barracks because we are the only LE in that area but it is rural... and I mean rural... more than New Paltz rural... but not quite Deliverance rural
                              Last edited by Trooper4985; 01-25-2007, 04:22 AM.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985
                                It will take you a little while to get to SP Jamestown, furthest from NYC I think, but SP Plattsburgh is a common barracks straight out of the academy if you want the complete opposite of NYC.

Trooper4985, How long does it usually take to transfer or work your way out to let's say central upstate area for most guys? 1-2 years? 3-4 years? more?

Thanx
                                Last edited by ATrooper2b; 02-23-2008, 01:02 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6839 users online. 388 members and 6451 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X