300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by doowan81 View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has sent a message offering me their thanks. To answer some of the questions that were asked, no, I did not have any problems with the background investigator. I was arrested once at 15, but I do not think that could have been what disqualified me. I did have my share of tickets, but most of them came in 2002, but my BI said that he didn't see anything that would dq me so I do not know. Secondly, the person that told me I was in the next class, is currently running and teaching classes at the current academy. I was told by him that since I was on "the cusp" of being in the backfills that my BI had to be done and approved of by Albany incase I was called. I passed every stage of the process, and after being told I was in, I basically feel that I was lied to to my face. My current profession is a teacher, which I have been doing now for the last 3 years, so I can't see the problem being my background and character. Whatever the reason is, I will not get an answer. My dq letter said I would not be considered for any future employment. I find it ironic that they say I'm not qualified, but the person that they do hire ends up in a scandal or getting fired, or even more so, they end up quitting the academy and wasting the NYSP time. Good luck to everyone else out there who is waiting. I'm sure that I will not be the only one who received news to the contrary.
    Can you FOIL for the info on why you were rejected?

If there is anything grossly incorrect in your personnel jacket, you could consider contacting NYSP for adjudication. Depending on how far you want to go, you can file for relief under Article 78...
    Last edited by a cashew; 12-19-2008, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by a cashew View Post
      Can you FOIL for the info on why you were rejected?

If there is anything grossly incorrect in your personnel jacket, you could consider contacting NYSP for adjudication. Depending on how far you want to go, you can file for relief under Article 78...
      Do you mean FOIA? I don't think sending Reynolds Wrap or an algebra equation to Washington Ave is going to get him any info.
      Last edited by Trooper4985; 12-19-2008, 08:08 PM.
      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend a few days in my angry dome over Division's latest safety initiatives.
          Don't tell me they are taking away our throwing stars?!?!

Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
          Do you mean FOIA? I don't think sending Reynolds Wrap or an algebra equation to Washington Ave is going to get him any info.
          I was thinking the same thing

Comment

• I have a question...I'm ranked 12xx, and am thinking about going into the army (AD) and doing MI for the 4 year commitment. Figuring that by the time I get out, there will be another testing done, would I be able to keep on deferring the processing weekend if I'm active duty, in Iraq/Afghanistan? Also, another note, not sure if anyone would know this, but if I were to be in MI, I'd have to pass a top secret security clearance, would this nullify the NYSP BI, or would they just do a quick and dirty one? On another note (dream), I know there are a lot of vets on this thread, anyone of you guys know anyone in MI and know if afterwards, it's possible or easier to get into the CIA, or NSA? Would be awesome to work for one of those agencies. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by skasif11 View Post
              would this nullify the NYSP BI, or would they just do a quick and dirty one? Thanks!
              Yeah right! You will have a full background no matter where you come from.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb5722
                i believe those agencies normally come to the folks they'd like. i know two people who were in some type of special operations unit in the marines, both were approached by agencies such as the ones you mention. one currently works for the NSA, the other decided to get married and turn down the offer. if you're talking about the type of job where you get your hands dirty, i dont think military intelligence would help that much, they would most likely be looking for people with special ops experience. my knowledge on these subjects is very limited though, so don't let what i know (or don't know) discourage you from pursuing your dream.

I'd think they would come to them mostly for the clandestine-type operations. I'd rather just do straight intel analysis.

Comment

• i dont know if anyone has checked or posted, but i just rechecked my rank on nytrooper.com, it went from low 600s to high 500s, but it looks like my ranking only went up 15 spots... baby steps, baby steps

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                    I agree. State Police agencies are more traiditional "full service" but that doesn't mean there are not traffic only barraks.
                    Which NYSP stations get more "calls" and do less traffic? I assume that the traffic only barraks you are talking about are the Troop T barraks.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb5722
                        i believe those agencies normally come to the folks they'd like. i know two people who were in some type of special operations unit in the marines, both were approached by agencies such as the ones you mention. one currently works for the NSA, the other decided to get married and turn down the offer. if you're talking about the type of job where you get your hands dirty, i dont think military intelligence would help that much, they would most likely be looking for people with special ops experience. my knowledge on these subjects is very limited though, so don't let what i know (or don't know) discourage you from pursuing your dream.
                        For the guy that is interested in going into the intelligence field....I would suggest that you go for it. Look at all the services before you make your decision. But if I could impart any suggestions at all. Before you make your final decision on MOS (job) ask your recruiter to take what is called the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery Exam). If you do well on that you could spend your first year or so in Monterey, CA learning one of any number of languages. Then on top of that you will be processed for your TS//SCI. A combination of a language and a clearance will open tons of doors. Add a four year degree on top of that and you have a golden ticket into any government agency.

Someone else offered up that the NSA and CIA look for the Spec Ops types. While this is true the "Black Ops" folks are few and far between. Its easier to get your foot in the door with the experience and a language. The biggest thing though is to keep your nose clean. If you go the Intel route...there will be many doors opened for you that you never knew existed. The work is both thankless and highly personally rewarding. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

If you have any questions about anything I mentioned shoot me an e-mail and maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Semper Fi,
                        Mike

Comment

• Not sure if any one has mentioned this yet but...What would you say are the best and worst aspects of the NYSP (on the job)? What would you say sets the NYSP apart from other LE agencies the most?

Comment

• Originally posted by pilot56 View Post
                            Not sure if any one has mentioned this yet but...What would you say are the best and worst aspects of the NYSP (on the job)? What would you say sets the NYSP apart from other LE agencies the most?
                            Worst aspect: The whole "take a prisoner to work day" thing really sucks. Once a month we must take a convicted felon on a ride along so they can see what we have to deal with on a daily basis.

Best aspect: Sorry NYIllini but it has to be the ...

Throwing Stars
                            Thowing Stars.jpg

Comment

• The Army recruiter I was talking to also advised me that if I were to be hired after serving in the army (say 4 yrs), after graduation from the academy, my salary would start higher than normal. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

• Originally posted by skasif11 View Post
                                The Army recruiter I was talking to also advised me that if I were to be hired after serving in the army (say 4 yrs), after graduation from the academy, my salary would start higher than normal. Can anyone confirm this?
                                This is in fact the case but only for prior Army, Marine, and Navy. Air Force and Coast Guard have to actually pay the Division of State Police to be an employee...

Could be the same recruiter who told me I would be stationed in Hawaii and that my wish list really mattered!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10815 users online. 370 members and 10445 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X