Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well this will be my last post for awhile. Thanks again to every one on this board, you've been a great help. Hopefully I can report back in 6 months with some great stories to share.
    Best of luck to every one tomorrow and for the next few months!

Comment

• Originally posted by doowan81 View Post
      well I've heard that only 61 people have accepted for the academy that starts on Sunday...which leaves a big gap leftover for the 95 they wanted. I heard they went through all the backfills and are still calling. I wonder if I will get a call since I am in the 400's, and I wonder if they will keep calling in to next week after the initial academy start date. Very exciting news, although I prolly won't get a chance until the next academy go-round.
      i just had de ja woo. I think i ll make it to this class.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
        I am always amused when I hear people talk of "The Golden Ticket."

While this is a good job and can be a fantastic career, there is nothing Golden about it. This job is hard work, and it's harder now than 20 years ago. (believe me, I was here 20 years ago).

You will be well paid, but you will earn every penny. There is nothing golden about it. It's not like you've won the lottery. Though I do admire the enthusiasm.
        you are one crusty and salty dawg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
          If you want a chance to wear the uniform bad enough you will drop everything and drive to Albany right now if told to.
          For sure.

Comment

• see everyone in 26 weeks!

Comment

• Good luck everyone, don't quit. If you want it bad enough you will get through! Hope to see everyone graduate in 26 weeks!

Comment

• I wonder who is crying for there mommy right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
                  But from my perspective SDT is not being crusty nor salty he is telling you flat out how it is. Well except for the 20 year part I think he is fudging on the numbers there a bit
                  23 years in March.
                  You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by warrior 76 View Post
                    you are one crusty and salty dawg.
                    I've been accused of that before. Persoanlly, I don't think so, but I can see why others might.

I must admit, I didn't get the Willie Wonka reference until it was pointed out to me. It's been a very long time since I've seen that movie. I always found him to be rather creepy.
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I must admit, I didn't get the Willie Wonka reference until it was pointed out to me. It's been a very long time since I've seen that movie. I always found him to be rather creepy.
                      I have absolutely no idea how many other people had actually considered the "golden ticket" reference in that context. But I guess it's all about what you can articulate, right?

Gene wilder wasn't nearly as creepy as Johnny Depp was. There was something about those creepy purple hands that raised a whole bunch of flags for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
                        Hey what's wrong with purple?
                        It's not the purple. It's the hands. Hands kill.

Comment

• Originally posted by hxd View Post
                          While I certainly appreciate your perspective and your sage advice, I must respectfully and politely disagree with you.

The recipients of the golden tickets represent the cross-section of the people in the world who wanted the "ultimate prize" strongly enough to put forth the effort and persistence to achieve the tour of the factory. One by one, those recipients were whittled away because their true nature wasn't consistent with the values that Willy Wonka was searching for in a successor for his business. Even though Charlie made a couple mistakes along the way, it was his honesty and integrity that saw him through to the end.

For those people who received invites to the academy, yes, they did receive "golden tickets." They were the ones who wanted it bad enough and persevered long enough to get into the academy. But now they're in the academy, they will be tested time and time again. Only those who have the honesty, integrity, drive, and heart to become New York State Troopers will see it through to the end.

For those of us who can't imagine wearing anything other than the grey, black, and purple, I submit to you that yes, it truly is the "golden ticket."

I want to work hard. I want to make a difference, one person at a time. I've been in EMS long enough that I know I can't save the world. But that doesn't mean that I can't make my contribution. I've often been told "find a job that you'll love, and you'll never work a day in your life." THAT is what's golden about it.
                          Wow, great paragraph there. You motivational speaker you!

Comment

• I've been a lurker on the forums since I took the test in February...Tons of good info on here. I had a general question. I recently had abdominal surgery in early October. I had adhesions from an appendectomy 8 years ago. My surgeon advised me that the way that my body forms scar tissue, I am bound to have this happen again. First time, it took 8 years, he said it could take 2 months, 2 years, 10...20...30 years, etc. No real knowing of when. So my question is that would this be something that could DQ me when I go over my medical eval (assuming I get that far)? I'm ranked in the low 1200's, so I assume it won't be for a few years that I'll even have to worry about it with the cuts and amt of people ranked in triple digits that are on backfill/slated for next class. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Comment

I am always amused when I hear people talk of "The Golden Ticket."

While this is a good job and can be a fantastic career, there is nothing Golden about it. This job is hard work, and it's harder now than 20 years ago. (believe me, I was here 20 years ago).

You will be well paid, but you will earn every penny. There is nothing golden about it. It's not like you've won the lottery. Though I do admire the enthusiasm.
                              Ehh, it's just an expression. I could've said i've went through all processing up until the point of receiving a yellow folder saying that I had been selected to participate in the next academy class, but thought "Golden Ticket" would get my point across.

Comment

• deleted post
                                Last edited by Brian23; 08-16-2009, 11:29 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10892 users online. 382 members and 10510 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X