• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
    It's official, see you all Sunday
    Awesome news! Congrats!

Comment

• thanks, I'll be looking for a wrx, my gto has too many mods so it's staying home

Comment

• Originally posted by NYGiants View Post
        how much running should we expect at the academy. I am able to run 3-5 miles, just wondering if we should expect a 2-4 mile run every day?
        You will never know what to expect... I would guess that you are not going to be running anything less than a little over 3 miles every morning. Google maps shows the wonderful loop as only 2.8 miles but I believe the number 3.2 was used by a couple of ATO's when I was there.
        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Yeah the state campus is 3.3 miles in the circle from the Academy. Car odometers work very well I was just accepted to The College of Saint Rose so I'm very happy today! Good luck to all that will be at the Academy tomorrow!

Comment

• Yeah, as I said before I did ROTC at UAlbany, and am no stranger to running that loop. It is almost exactly a 5K. It is funny too, running it in each direction has its own goods and bads due to the inclines and hills. Also, is the class really only going to be around 65? I figured a lot of people would not be able to drop everything in a week and a half.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYGiants View Post
              how much running should we expect at the academy. I am able to run 3-5 miles, just wondering if we should expect a 2-4 mile run every day?
              They first week or it will be slowed paced and then the pace and distance picks up.

Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
              You will never know what to expect... I would guess that you are not going to be running anything less than a little over 3 miles every morning. Google maps shows the wonderful loop as only 2.8 miles but I believe the number 3.2 was used by a couple of ATO's when I was there.
              I used my garmin forerunner to time it a while back and it is around 3.1miles if I remember correctly --so a 5k...

Comment

• Thanks for all the replies, any info on what type of bag to bring?

Comment

• I'm just bringing a suit type bag that allows you to hang your stuff and folds in half. I paid like 30$ at Wal Mart for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by doowan81 View Post
                    well I've heard that only 61 people have accepted for the academy that starts on Sunday...which leaves a big gap leftover for the 95 they wanted. I heard they went through all the backfills and are still calling. I wonder if I will get a call since I am in the 400's, and I wonder if they will keep calling in to next week after the initial academy start date. Very exciting news, although I prolly won't get a chance until the next academy go-round.
                    i was told i'm on the backfill list but haven't heard anything yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Avery2000 View Post
                      I figured a lot of people would not be able to drop everything in a week and a half.
                      If you want a chance to wear the uniform bad enough you will drop everything and drive to Albany right now if told to.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                        I am always amused when I hear people talk of "The Golden Ticket."

While this is a good job and can be a fantastic career, there is nothing Golden about it. This job is hard work, and it's harder now than 20 years ago. (believe me, I was here 20 years ago).

You will be well paid, but you will earn every penny. There is nothing golden about it. It's not like you've won the lottery. Though I do admire the enthusiasm.
                        While I certainly appreciate your perspective and your sage advice, I must respectfully and politely disagree with you.

The recipients of the golden tickets represent the cross-section of the people in the world who wanted the "ultimate prize" strongly enough to put forth the effort and persistence to achieve the tour of the factory. One by one, those recipients were whittled away because their true nature wasn't consistent with the values that Willy Wonka was searching for in a successor for his business. Even though Charlie made a couple mistakes along the way, it was his honesty and integrity that saw him through to the end.

For those people who received invites to the academy, yes, they did receive "golden tickets." They were the ones who wanted it bad enough and persevered long enough to get into the academy. But now they're in the academy, they will be tested time and time again. Only those who have the honesty, integrity, drive, and heart to become New York State Troopers will see it through to the end.

For those of us who can't imagine wearing anything other than the grey, black, and purple, I submit to you that yes, it truly is the "golden ticket."

I want to work hard. I want to make a difference, one person at a time. I've been in EMS long enough that I know I can't save the world. But that doesn't mean that I can't make my contribution. I've often been told "find a job that you'll love, and you'll never work a day in your life." THAT is what's golden about it.
                        Last edited by hxd; 11-29-2008, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Good luck to everyone else attending tomorrow

Comment

• What do they do if you show up slightly overweight, or can't do the PT test. Do they send you right home? or give you a chance if you are close?

Comment

• Originally posted by Avery2000 View Post
                              What do they do if you show up slightly overweight, or can't do the PT test. Do they send you right home? or give you a chance if you are close?
                              Ride you incessantly until you cry and admit that you want your mommy.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                                +1

Atleast it's not that cold in Albany in the winter.

Stay warm.
                                Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Remember to bring extra cloths because the state might be looking to save a few bucks and turn the heat off on you. If anyone yells at you tomorrow, just laugh they really like that. They know It might be uncomfortable to drive there in a suit so wear something comfy and they'll let you change when you get there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6955 users online. 371 members and 6584 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X