Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is something I should have asked at the orientation but I didn't think of it at the time. They mentioned that you should make sure there is nothing illegal on your car. My car has window tint (30%) and an aftermarket exhaust. The exhaust looks similar to the stock one and it's not very loud but I'm sure they would notice it's louder then stock.
    Question is do you guys recommend I remove the exhaust in favor of the stock piece? As far as the window tint, I believe it is legal. From what I understand the front windows must let in 70% worth of light, which 30% tint does. Should I attempt to have that removed also?

Comment

• In the movie they showed at orientation it showed them inspecting cars upon arrival.
      Last edited by NYSPHOPEFUL; 11-29-2008, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Avery, did you attend Troop G orientation tonight?

Comment

• Originally posted by DubyaSTI View Post
          This is something I should have asked at the orientation but I didn't think of it at the time. They mentioned that you should make sure there is nothing illegal on your car. My car has window tint (30%) and an aftermarket exhaust. The exhaust looks similar to the stock one and it's not very loud but I'm sure they would notice it's louder then stock.
          Question is do you guys recommend I remove the exhaust in favor of the stock piece? As far as the window tint, I believe it is legal. From what I understand the front windows must let in 70% worth of light, which 30% tint does. Should I attempt to have that removed also?
          Actually 30% tint means only 30% of light can go through the window. Fact is any tint you apply to your windows generally makes it go under 70%. Most factory windows are tinted, even a police crown vic's windows test around 70-75%. Also, for most passenger vehicles that 70% also applies to your rear side windows as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYPDtoGrey View Post
            Actually 30% tint means only 30% of light can go through the window. Fact is any tint you apply to your windows generally makes it go under 70%. Most factory windows are tinted, even a police crown vic's windows test around 70-75%. Also, for most passenger vehicles that 70% also applies to your rear side windows as well.
            Ahh that's news to me. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get an appointment to have this stuff removed before Sunday!

Comment

The exhaust looks similar to the stock one and it's not very loud but I'm sure they would notice it's louder then stock.
              Question is do you guys recommend I remove the exhaust in favor of the stock piece?
              The question about tint has been answered, so I'll take this one.

An aftermarket exhaust can be either legal or illegal. We can't hear it from here. If it's legal, keep it. If it's illegal, change it. Use your best judgement.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                Use your best judgement.
                This is a phrase you will hear a lot over the course of a career. When a supervisor gives you this advise, and you screw something up, he comes back with "that was your best judgement?"
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

This is something I should have asked at the orientation but I didn't think of it at the time. They mentioned that you should make sure there is nothing illegal on your car. My car has window tint (30%) and an aftermarket exhaust. The exhaust looks similar to the stock one and it's not very loud but I'm sure they would notice it's louder then stock.
                  I was actually pulled over in my jeep back the day after I got my invitation to the processing weekend. I have had my car for 7 years and it had tint when I bought it. (Not stock windows, actual tint you could remove.) First time I ever got pulled over for it. Well anyways the guy told me it had to allow the 70% light, well it read 31%, and I got the ticket and had to take it off. Did it myself with a razor blade.

He also told me it was 30% tint on the front windows not the back windows.

Comment

• Originally posted by thefirm5 View Post
                    I was actually pulled over in my jeep back the day after I got my invitation to the processing weekend. I have had my car for 7 years and it had tint when I bought it. (Not stock windows, actual tint you could remove.) First time I ever got pulled over for it. Well anyways the guy told me it had to allow the 70% light, well it read 31%, and I got the ticket and had to take it off. Did it myself with a razor blade.

Let me clarify that it allowed in 69% light, there was only 31% tint.

Comment

• Have the windows rolled down. Tell the inspecting Trooper that you were getting used to the cold for the Academy.

In regards to the exhaust, if its an issue of noise, I would think that a baffle tip could quiet it down. Available cheaply at most local auto parts stores.

Just my two cents though...

Good luck again to all those attending! Don't quit. There are things far worse in life than 6 months minus weekends of torment. Namely, the way people act during the holiday season.
                      Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• Originally posted by thefirm5 View Post

Depends on how your Reg reads.... is your Jeep classified as a SW or a SUBN?

12-a. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, when driven or
                        operated upon a public highway, road or street shall be equipped with a
                        front windshield in a fixed and more or less upright position
                        constructed of safety glass as defined in subdivision fourteen of this
                        section and required by subdivisions eleven and twelve hereof. No person
                        shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent

material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by
                        law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either
                        side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat.
                        (b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway,
                        road or street:
                        (1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or
                        treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than
                        seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six
                        inches of the windshield; or
                        (2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of
                        or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or
                        treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than
                        seventy percent; or
                        (3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe,
                        hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light
                        transmittance of less than seventy percent; or

(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated
                        with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy
                        percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than
                        seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both
                        sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a
                        clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such
                        vehicle.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Thanks Trooper, its classified as SUBN. Its a wrangler, so it has no back doors.

Comment

• "Under the Radar"

The expression is 'staying under the radar'.

That means don't bring attention to yourself, your vehicle, your clothes.
                            Don't be the last in line, don't be the first in line, don't have a shaved head, but don't have hair longer than 1 inch.
                            If you didn't hear something, didn't understand something; don't raise your hand, some other idiot will have not heard or understood the same thing and HE/SHE WILL raise a hand and the "pack" will descend on him/her, not you.
                            Check your vehicle, MAKE IT STANDARD, Mom and Pop. Make sure the windows aren't cracked, the vehicle reg/inspection are up to date. Your reg and insurance cards are OK. The tires aren't worn or cut, all your lights work and point correctly. Update your reg/inspection if they are expiring during the Academy, as you won't have much time, and lots of places close on weekends or are so busy it takes hours to get anything done.
                            Shave twice, SHINE your shoes MORE than once.
                            Know where you are going and how long it takes to get there and then add an hour. Use multiple alarm clocks for the trip to Albany.
                            Surviving that first day or two is very helpful for your psych, "they" will eventually find you and test you, everyone gets tested some time or another.
                            When you have your s*** together after the first early time you should be good to go.

Story; Plebes at USNA rate each other after Plebe Summer and during the year. My Brother had 'under ther radar' so fine tuned that some of the Plebes in his own company (a company has around 100-125 in it 1/4 Plebes) didn't know who he was to rate !

Be prepared, luck favors those prepared !

Comment

• Now I have a Question

Since the exhaust thing was brought up I have to ask this. Both my bike and the wife's have aftermarket exhaust (dealer installed) and they are louder than the stock exhaust kits but not excessive unless one is driving like an idiot. From a troopers perspective are you going to ticket someone for "pipes" if they are following all the other rules? I just like to be heard a little better in traffic when I'm in an urban area. It's saved me a couple of times already.

Thanks and looks like I'll be waiting until the next class as well. The wife is happy though she wasn't looking forward to removing the snow from the quarter mile driveway. Best of luck to everyone heading down on Sunday...

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9349 users online. 425 members and 8924 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X